The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2002, 05:49 PM   #1
67OLDSTYLE72

trucks to be transported

I am looking for someone to bring me trucks from Lake Havasue Arizona to Pittsburgh Pa.
If anyone knows of any one doing this, I need two trucks with parts and a 4x4 Sub. brought here to me.
any help will be appreciated thanks Jay
'71 Chevy Dually 4x4
'69 Chevy Pro Street swb.
'72 Chevy camper special 4x4 402 v8 (not factory) just cool. (truck puller)
70 Chevy swb 400 v8 400 turbo
72 Chevy suburban 4x4, 396 4spd.
68 Chevy shortbed 50th Anv. 327.
72 Chevy 2 wd. Blazer
69 Chevy swb 4x4 327 4spd.
58 Chevy Apache 4x4 swb.
71 Chevy CREW CAB swb 4x4 396 4spd. (just finished)
WE BUY AND SALE TRUCKS AND PARTS
67OLDSTYLE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Jay, good luck man. I'm sorry CREWS didn't make a go of it. I've pretty much given up. Add 1K per truck to move x-country and even with parts it's break even at best. Of course W. PA is closer than NH. I hope you can find someone, you won't be disappointed in Chuck's stuff. It's nice to turn bolts with a wrench instead of a torch.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
crews
It just doesn't matter

Hey Jay- I am also sorry that I couldn't make this work for everyone....

but there are a lot of things you guys need to remember when dealing with anyone who transports....

1. Weight is the number one regulation. If you ask about hauling a certain vehicle, the transporter looks up the production weight and uses that to calculate his load. There are many state and federal guidelines regulating how much weight you can haul. The minute you add parts, you start changing the equation. When you load them up like Chuck does, you actually have DOUBLE the weight....So for a big transporter (10-14 cars) he actually LOSES a slot to sell because he can only carry "X" amount of weight. If you load up 3 then he has lost 3 slots. So do the math. It doesn't take long for someone to be out of some cash. Realistically he needs to actually charge for the weight instead of the load, but no one would pay that. the bottom line is , you can only haul so much weight legally, and it doesn't matter if it is one car or 12.

2. Don't forget that transporters are limited to how many hours a day/ and WEEK they can drive. They can only get so far so fast. Then they HAVE to stop. They are required to keep a log book...and trust me...they get checked frequently. the limit currently is 60 hours/ 7 days and 70 hours/ 8 days. And those hours are supposed to include loading/ unloading. ( I know because I got my log book questioned because I had no unload/ or load time..) Be aware...there are new regulations in Congress now that are going to restrict the drive hours even FURTHER.....

3. Don't expect the transporter to inspect the item to be hauled. Unless you have an agreement prior to loading, it is not the job of a transporter to inspect. If you have some question as to the quality of the product you had shipped, take it up with the proper person. ( This had happened to me on a non-truck item..)

4. Patience. There are MANY factors out there that work AGAINST a transporter. They are required to hit every scale/ port of entry that is open. And there is a good chance that they will get pulled into the office and questioned. Antique vehicles tend to draw a lot of interest, so people always want to talk to you about them.
Also realize, that there are alot of logistics that go into planning a successful run. A transporter may have to hold up a day or two to wait for a corresponding load to be available.

5. Communicate directly with the driver if possible. I tried to maintain as much contact as possible while out on the road. but also be mindful that everytime the phone rings, it is costing the driver. My cell bill averaged $250 monthly....
If you are expecting your item to be picked up at a certain time/ date, you need to communicate that with the transporter, not the seller. The seller is often at the transporters mercy, due to logistics and such.

6. Never have a transporter handle the money end of things. It is always better to do the paperwork between the seller and buyer only. I wouldn't even recommend having a transporter handle ANY paperwork. ( title(s) , bill of sale..etc..) All they need is a bill of ladding to transport.

7. Fuel.....it's getting more expensive all of the time.....Just the short period of time I did this, I saw it jump almost 40%...That takes a HUGE bite out of profits....

I hope that this will help you with a little more knowledge about what it takes to get something moved across country....At least you guys were breaking even......by the time I paid every state and local government that wanted their "fair" share, I couldn't even pay bills let alone feed the family....and as far as everyone's suggestion that you can just "raise your rates".....I had trouble getting enough jobs at the rates I was quoting....

I hope you have good luck finding someone...but the odds are against you....The Gov't and the big trucking firms have seen to that.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:17 PM   #4
hjalbert
cracker

hey if one of em runs, i am allways up for the adventure of driving up north (prseuming one ran well enough to haul the other 2 )

Harry John Albert III
located in Phoenix, AZ
1972 GMC JIMMY,
1969 lwb Chevy Frame,
1999 bmw k1200 ltc
1992 Kawasaki concours
1991 bmw k75
1973 cortez motorhome
hjalbert is offline   Reply With Quote