The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
Hisroth

Problems with engine pull 71

Hello all, new here. I actually had problems getting the registration email that must have gone to my spam folder as all of the latest ones have as well.

I did get the happy birthday wish a few weeks ago, so figured the registration must have worked and I just missed it. Anyway, finally got it going and here I am.

A bit of background. I bought a junk 71 C-10 with the hopes that I'd have it done by the time my 2 year old son is 16 and can drive it, lol. I've got a 350 out of a 93 suburban and a 700r4 to go in it that has been made carbeurated instead of the TBI it came with.

But I've been stuck for about 5 hours just trying to get the old motor out...
It's an inline 6 with a 4 speed manual. I've gotten everything loose, I know this because when I try to hoist the block, it lifts 6 inches out of the truck, however, no matter what I do, i can't separate it from the transmission for some reason. I've taken 6 bolts out I believe, removed the 4 bolts holding on the U-joint to the tranmission so that if it wanted to come out as well it could, but the shifter hump keeps catching inside the truck. No big deal, I'll take the transmission out after I get the engine out, but here's the problem. I can't get them to seperate, I can get an inch gap at the top and a half inch at the bottom, but the transmission won't let go. I've tried jacking up the read of the tranny with no luck also. I've taken a crow bar and tried going from one side to the other to wedge it off while there is a tiny amount of pressure on the jack.

I can't get anything to work, and can't get the both of them out together either because of the shifter hump getting stuck in the hole to the cab.

Is there something obvious I'm missing or do I just need to keep working at the bottom side where it seems to be catching?

This is my first engine pull, but I feel like I was going strong until this hickup. Any hints or questions to help clarify the situation would be greatly appreciated.
Hisroth is offline   Reply With Quote