The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
ctandc

Cab removal and storage / moving around

I’ve searched and searched, and I have a ton of threads saved, and have seen how many members here have built their own contraptions for removing the cab and also for storing / moving the cab around.

Since the first phase of my build involves the chassis / frame, once the engine is out I’ll be removing the cab. Because of space constraints, the cab will be stored outside.

What I planned on doing was using a homebuilt 4x4 and bracket setup, bolted to my engine hoist, to remove the cab. Since I’ll be storing the cab until the frame / chassis is done, and I’ll be storing outside, I planned on keeping the doors on. For simplicity sake of moving the cab, I figured that I could mark the hinge alignment, then remove both doors, then remove the cab. I had planned on leaving the rest of the interior intact.

Once the cab is on the dolly and in its resting place, I can put the doors back on. Keeping the cab weather tight.

Anyone see any issues with trying this?

Next up I’m planning on building a movable cart to hold the cab. This cart will need the big casters so that I can move it into my backyard for storage. I’ve seen many homebuilt carts here, and I figured on building mine to not only store and move the cab now, but be able to have the cab on this dolly when I start body work (welding / cutting etc).

Here’s a diagram of what I plan on building

I’ll put the big casters from Harbor freight on the bottom of each leg.

The dolly will be built out of pressure treated 4x4’s.

I’ll get the width dimensions before hand, so I can simply take some lag bolts and washers and actually bolt the cab to the dolly, using the cab to frame mounts, when we put it on. That way no worries about pushing it around the yard, storing it etc.

Any glaring holes in this plan?