The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
Libertad
No Nonsense

Vin # info

I just picked up a 73 C10 LB with the Vin # starting as CCY145Z. I checked the Chilton manual and it says that the third # designates the year of the truck. So my question is if the pink and registration says yr model 1973 but the vin designates 5 for 1975 what is the deal? Is this a normal occurrence or is something fishy with this title. I went to the DMV and had no problems switching it over to my name. By the way this is in California.

Thanks in advance for any reply's - Jason

Oh and what factory does "Z" designate?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
karl

Re: Vin # info

I have a 1975 chevy half ton and the vin starts out ccy145. Is that the number on the truck or pink slip? The only vin tag is inside the door. They didnt start putting them on the dash until i think 1979. Sounds like someones made a mistake or is trying to screw you somehow. They may have sold you a truck that is junked somewhere and they might come and get your truck since they still have the pink that goes with that truck. Its not your truck until you have the correct pinkslip that matches. I would contact the CHP real soon. Keep an eye on the truck in the mean time. Z is for Fremont plant. My truck is the same. In fact Moreno Valley is less than 10 miles from my home.

Last edited by karl; 09-30-2009 at 05:30 AM.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Libertad
No Nonsense

Thanks Karl although not what I was hoping to hear. That is the same number on both the truck tag inside the door and on the pink and registration. The DMV went very smooth with no questions asked. Is their any other distinguishing items or things I can look for on the truck that may distinguish it 1973 from a 1975? In other words what changed between those model years?

Last edited by Libertad; 09-30-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
karl

Not much changed as far as i know. I think this was the first year for Silverado model. Little trim parts such as the grille, ect. Look on the website: chuckschevytruckpages.com/ Lots of info there.

Last edited by karl; 09-30-2009 at 05:39 AM.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
Nothing changed as far as i know. Little trim parts such as the grille. Look on the website: chuckschevytruckpages.com/ Lots of info there.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
Number21

In commiefornia having a '73 instead of a '75 is a big deal for emissions reasons. Someone probably lied to the DMV some time ago and gave them the wrong year. OR, your cab has been replaced. Don't worry, the DMV is too stupid to decode the VIN, especially the old 13 digit numbers. Last time I went to the DMV with an old VIN I got the answer "that's not enough numbers!"

Of course things are different from state to state but my '79 with a VIN claiming it has a 350 gas V8 is about to turn into a "diesel" since diesels over 8500GVW don't have to be tested here. I don't plan on actually changing the engine.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

I have this info on my site...

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/7380vin.htm

Z means Fremont assembly plant.

The 6th digit is the year of the truck. In your case, it appears to be a '75.

Post a pic of your truck, there are several things that are different between 73 and 75. Post interior and exterior shots.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Does the rest of the VIN match the truck?

It is highly unlikely that somebody would have a title for an exact 73 truck with the same build sequence number too.

I think they were lying to the DMV for smog purposes.

Last edited by 68 TT; 09-30-2009 at 08:46 AM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

My dad just went through hell with the DMV here trying to get the title for a car he inherited from his mom corrected.

She bought it new and in 30 years of ownership nobody at DoL or DMV noticed the VIN on the title and registration was missing a number.

My dad's insurance company caught it.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Keith Seymore

Looks like you all have this specific problem pretty well handled (or at least a plan in place), so I'll let you follow up on that - but - I would like to make a couple general VIN comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
It is highly unlikely that somebody would have a title for an exact 73 truck with the same build sequence number too.
It is possible to have the same build sequence number imbedded in different VINs. It could happen a couple different ways: (a) if the same build quantities were achieved during separate model years at the same plant, or (b) if the same build quantity was achieved within the same model year but at different plants.

As an example (it's a little different timeframe), but I just discovered two 1965 Pontiac GTOs with the same sequence number; one was built in Fremont and the other in Pontiac Michigan. In fact, that's how I found them: I was asking about the Pontiac built car and erroneously got the Fremont information instead. In this case the VINs were exactly the same except one had a "Z" and the other a "P". (ie, 237375Z123456 vs 237375P123456).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
I have this info on my site...

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/7380vin.htm
Secondly, I just wanted to volunteer that, during my time at Flint, Chevrolet build sequence numbers started with 100001 and GMC nameplates started with 500001.

Thanks,

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-30-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
As an example (it's a little different timeframe), but I just discovered two 1965 Pontiac GTOs with the same sequence number; one was built in Fremont and the other in Pontiac Michigan. In fact, that's how I found them: I was asking about the Pontiac built car and erroneously got the Fremont information instead. In this case the VINs were exactly the same except one had a "Z" and the other a "P". (ie, 237375Z123456 vs 237375P123456).
That's insane. What are the odds. It's like finding a truck that works with the same keys that yours does. You know they are out there, but actually finding them. I've had the luck happen three times. One with my first truck, and my dad's truck at the time. Both had the same ignition key. Second time was with my old 84, and a 85 ext cab truck that was for sale locally had the same door key, and the last one was with my old 94, and a customer that comes in my store with his 94. He accidentally locked his keys in his truck, and just for giggles I tried my key in the door, and pop opened right up. Small world sometimes.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Keith Seymore

LOL!

Re: '65 GTOs - you can imagine it took me a little while to sort that one out.

Re: keys - the door key on our 60' Covair also worked on our '64 Lemans. Probably not quite as remarkable as your luck, since they didn't have as many key combinations (blanks) back then.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-30-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
I have a 1975 chevy half ton and the vin starts out ccy145. Is that the number on the truck or pink slip? The only vin tag is inside the door. They didnt start putting them on the dash until i think 1979. Sounds like someones made a mistake or is trying to screw you somehow. They may have sold you a truck that is junked somewhere and they might come and get your truck since they still have the pink that goes with that truck. Its not your truck until you have the correct pinkslip that matches. I would contact the CHP real soon. Keep an eye on the truck in the mean time. Z is for Fremont plant. My truck is the same. In fact Moreno Valley is less than 10 miles from my home.

Is there a VIN on the frame for '73 - '75?

As noted in my sig, I didn't start in the assembly plant until 1979, so I can't say with certainty.

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-30-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
JohnC

I think there is from what I remember reading on here.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Is there a VIN on the frame for '73 - '75?

As noted in my sig, I didn't start in the assembly plant until 1979, so I can't say with certainty.

K
I know there is one on the front frame rail on my 67 C-10 so I don't see why there wouldn't be one on the 73 to 75.

What about other hidden VIN locations if you can't find the partial on the frame? I know where several are on my 68 Camaro but not on the truck.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
JohnC

If I remember correctly they put them on the frame rails until they started the new numbers on the dash. I could be wrong, and maybe someone with more info will clarify.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Looks like you all have this specific problem pretty well handled (or at least a plan in place), so I'll let you follow up on that - but - I would like to make a couple general VIN comments:

It is possible to have the same build sequence number imbedded in different VINs. It could happen a couple different ways: (a) if the same build quantities were achieved during separate model years at the same plant, or (b) if the same build quantity was achieved within the same model year but at different plants.

Secondly, I just wanted to volunteer that, during my time at Flint, Chevrolet build sequence numbers started with 100001 and GMC nameplates started with 500001.

Thanks,

K
Still, finding two trucks from two years apart with the same build sequence number is still much less likely to be the issue vs. a typo on the title (or an intentional lie to DMV to avoid smog in CA).

If the build sequence number on the title matches that on the truck with the same assembly plant code I would bet it is an error on the title and not somebody trying to "take" back a truck after you fix it up.

If the rest of the VIN matches the title then I say enjoy your pre-smog truck and run with it.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
JohnC

Yeah I'm betting on someone trying to get by the emissions issue.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
If I remember correctly they put them on the frame rails until they started the new numbers on the dash. I could be wrong, and maybe someone with more info will clarify.
The numbers on the frame are a partial VIN for verifying the frame matches the cab.

There are usually several on each vehicle with one on the engine, trans, firewall, cowl panel, frame rail and in the trunk drip rail on my 68 Camaro as an example.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Keith Seymore

Quote:
The numbers on the frame are a partial VIN for verifying the frame matches the cab.

There are usually several on each vehicle with one on the engine, trans, firewall, cowl panel, frame rail and in the trunk drip rail on my 68 Camaro as an example.
Again, I can't speak for '73 - '75, but for 1980 and later there absolutely is a full VIN on the frame rail, top of the rail, RH side under the cab. As far as I remember there were no secondary locations on the frame, nor other locations on the cab (ie, none under the heater box or cowl area) other than the primary VIN on the dash. IIRC -

You are correct, there would be a VIN on the engine and trans as well.

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-30-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #21
Libertad
No Nonsense

Thanks for all the reply's and here are pics of the truck: When did they change the smog requirements from 73 to 75? Last old truck I had bought was a 72' Elco just for that reason....smog exempt but that was in 1998.

Last edited by Libertad; 10-02-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
bigblock73
yeller

Well, it doesn't have a 73 grill, tailgate and dash bezel, plus it has drip rails, 73's didn't have drip rails.

I would assume it is a 75

Last edited by bigblock73; 09-30-2009 at 12:27 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #23
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
That's one heck of a throttle return spring you got there.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Again, I can't speak for '73 - '75, but for 1980 and later there absolutely is a full VIN on the frame rail, top of the rail, RH side under the cab. As far as I remember there were no secondary locations on the frame, nor other locations on the cab (ie, none under the heater box or cowl area) other than the primary VIN on the dash. IIRC -

You are correct, there would be a VIN on the engine and trans as well.

K
The partial VIN's are all over the vehicle to help auto theft detectives identify stolen parts and cobbled together cars with stolen parts on them.

According to my dad the retired auto theft detective the locations are supposed to be secret and hard to get to for that very reason.

If you are really worried about it take it to the CHP and have them verify the VIN with a hidden VIN. They will know where they are.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
The partial VIN's are all over the vehicle to help auto theft detectives identify stolen parts and cobbled together cars with stolen parts on them.

According to my dad the retired auto theft detective the locations are supposed to be secret and hard to get to for that very reason.

If you are really worried about it take it to the CHP and have them verify the VIN with a hidden VIN. They will know where they are.
Not too worried but mostly want to know what year truck I actually have, I hate to be telling people I have a 73' when its a 75'