The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
cardreams

need help whats it worth

hey guys need a little help with this one iam new to this older stuff i used to getting the 67-72 style what would this truck be worth my biggest concern is the S10 frame is that good or bad ???

1953 chevy 5 window 350 350 turbo trans all s10 frame and suspension power stearing power brakes

cardreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: need help whats it worth

Buying, selling, trading, trading with the idea of selling or buying to flip?

Value:

1. What it is and what it has:
Nice looking AD truck with S-10 chassis and 350/350 isn't a bad combination if it is done right.

2. Actual conditon of the body it's self. Can you get it on a hoist to look under it and check for rust and the quality of the work done to install the truck on the frame? Do the body panels line up well or are they out of line. They do look to line up pretty well though.

3. Condition of the engine and trans. Can the seller document the condition of the engine and trans or are they out of a donor rig with XXX miles with a pressure wash, fresh paint and shiny trinkets on top? This is where having the receipts for a crate motor or rebuilt trans count.

4. Condition of the bed and what it was done with. Varnished Oak with stainless runners or a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood or ?

5. Condition of the wheels and tires and if you don't happen to really like them will the seller offer to keep them and knock off a correct amount if you bring your own wheels and tires. Sellers around here seem to be of the mind set that a new set of custom wheels and tires adds several times their cost to the selling price of a vehicle. that includes local used car lots.

6. Interior, Is the interior nice and well done and well thought out or does it just have a pair of bucket seats and some discount carpet thrown in? If it is a custom interior does everything in the interior jive so it makes it a complete package and the fit and finish is nice.

From what I see that is a hell for good looking truck but you have to look past that and make sure it's a hell for well done truck all around before giving top dollar for it and bargain on the points that aren't up to snuff. I'm thinking the seller is asking right around what the seller of the white craigslist one someone posted yesterday for this one and this one may be a nicer truck in the end.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Highsider

Here's my question, since we have seen other Canadians asking similar questions:

Are these trucks worth any more in Canada than the US?

Are we talking US dollar value, or?
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
cardreams

the truck is in the US that's the thing not sure whats it worth in Canada cant really find anything to come par to up here he is asking 19K US the Interior and engine bay does need some work i think to bring it up to my liking I am just not to familiar with this year of trucks like i said before. The seller says it's straight as a arrow and it does look at way but I am just not sure where to look at for problem areas on these truck??

thanks again for the help guys
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You could guess all day long on what he may have done or not done and how it was done. If your in canada and hes in the US and your not sure about what to look at then I suggest you get someone to appraise it and inspect it. A few hundred dollars paid out could save you a bundle later on. Look in Hemmings website for inspectors and appraisers.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
cardreams

might i add iam not new at buying trucks from the US go down south at least 3 to 4 time a year to buy so not afraid of driving down to look for my self by no means lol
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
mark '87 930

Cardreams, honestly, I think that is too much if it needs work interior and exterior. The extra cost of bringing it up here would drive the price higher than where it should be. for something that needs work, that's what i would pay if it was up here and local. See if you can get it for $15K, that way, if it's drivable, you can work on it and drive it at the same time.

Just my 2 cents.
mark '87 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
mr48chev

I didn't see the interior and needs some work on the outside thing before.

15 k sounds pretty close to right and if you don't plan on keeping those particular wheels and tires that can be a bargaining tool as the seller may think that they are worth way more than you do. You might even take a decent set of wheels and tires that will fit along with you in case you did make a deal minus the wheels and tires. If you really like them that is different though.
I'd still want to inspect the body to frame swap real close to make sure it was done right along with the body being in as advertised condition.

The main thing is to make sure you are getting a truck worth what you give for it 15 K sounds pretty close to right for a decent driver quality AD truck with an S-10 swap and a V8 swap with new wheels and tires.

It goes without saying that you have to make sure that he has the paperwork in order and up to date. I'd want to have the signatures on the title notarized along with a notarized (and typed) bill of sale when I picked it up to avoid hassles at the border.

The Notary just says that "yes, these guys signed the title in front of me and this guy signed the bill of sale to that guy in front of me. It may not sound like a big deal but it does tell the people at the border and at your end that you did everything to insure that the deal is legit.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote