The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
AirMale

Collector registration in N.J.

I sent away for the paperwork to register my 86 SWB as a collector vehicle. The paperwork finally came today so I went to the motor-vehicle center to get the registration and voucher for a 2 year inspection. It cost me $25 initially and will cost $10 every 2 years thereafter. This will allow me to run with no emission equipment and basically do whatever I want as far as modifications. I don't run side mirrors, I have a dumped exhaust, I have a hood scoop higher than 3", I have tinted side windows: All would be illegal for any car in Jersey "unless" you have the magic triangle in your winshield The only downside is a limit of 3K miles a year on collector vehicles. This kind of freedom was only available in the past to classics and antiques that are at least 25 years old. I think I drive my truck less than 1K miles a year so this is perfect for me. I may want to install a 8-71 blower in the future.
So I have this inspection voucher in my hand and I'm pulling around the corner to get in line for inspection and you can hear me coming, "trust me". All the inspection guys are looking at me like I'm outta my freakin mind trying to get in line for a state inspecton. I ease up to the waiting attendants and my engine is singing a wicked song and the first guy says "I don't know why your even gonna try cause your scoop in higher than 3", second guy says "I can tell by sound of your cam that it's gonna fail emmisions", third guy says "there's no way in hell this is gonna pass, you should turn around before we have to put a failed sticker on it". I told them that I worked real hard on my truck and that the new 548cu. motor would definately pass! I also told them that I spent alot of time "gutting" my cats and hoped it would help it breath better. The guys looks under the truck and says "not with your exhaust like that, you can't have it dumped under the truck". I was having a blast just knowing these guys didn't know I had the "magic voucher" in my pocket. I let them say a few more things before I whipped it out and all of the sudden they all just laughed and wanted to know everything about the truck. The supervisor came out and told one of the guys to take a ride with me to make sure the odometer worked. The four guys were fighting for the chance. This guy Bob gets in and asks me if it's fast and so pull down the road to a culdesac and light the friggin' bejesus outta the tires doing 3 donuts. When we pulled away it looked like there was a forrest fire. The guy was thrilled! He also informed me that his daily driver was a 82 LWB with a straight 6. When we returned I got the triangle sticker and still can't believe it. Now I can cruise anywhere without worrying if a cops gonna break my balls about my truck. I know it won't be long before I get pulled over because these stickers are so rare that I'm sure many cops haven't ever seen em'. At least I'll be legal
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
gldevall

Cool. How much power you think you puttin' out?
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
rolson1039

what exactly did ya have to do for this? i live in NJ too and would love to register an old car in this fashion
Old 06-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
AirMale

You need to call Trenton and have them send you a application for collector car reg. Take that to the local DMV and they will issue the voucher. Viola!
Old 06-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
SanitysBane

is there anything like this in texas?!
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #6
Newt408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
If you find out please let another fellow texan know
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes:but he that hearkeneth unto council is wise. Proverbs 12:15
Newt408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
1low87

AIRMALE- What happens if you go over you max. miles per year? I would love to have that in Calif. If they had the collector vehicle I would sign up my truck and just rewind the miles if I would go over them. I think I'll check it out. Congrats on your exempt
1low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:22 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
Look here
Are there any vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing?
*motorcycles
*vehicles registered as antique or circus vehicles
*Vehicles required to display a slow-moving vehicle emblem

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
AirMale

As far as going over the 3k per year, I don't know what happens. I would never unscrew the odometer cable if I was getting close to the limit But seriously, I don't drive this truck 500mi. a year. From what I learned from surfing the net, you can register any year car in Jersey as collector. I can finally cruise with out fear of being pulled over and hit with fines for my mods. I would check with motor vehicle in your state to see if there is some equivalent to collector registration.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #10
blink32

Besides the Antique/Classic types of registration, does anyone know of any specifics requirements or cut off dates for emissions/safety inspections in NJ per vehicle year? I've got a 76 I'm going to need to register and while I doubt I'll ever go over 3k miles a year (had it a year and put on like 500) I'm not keen on registering it as a classic/antique/collectable etc because of a towing restriction (not allowed to haul cargo or tow unless its dually registered classic like a classic army truck towing a classic army water tank) and the main use for it is going to be mover/hauler/tow vehicle.

I don't have Cats from the factory but it did have a Smog pump I removed (CA vehicle). I'd also like to switch to headers eventually and I just don't want to get any static when I go to register it.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #11
AirMale

If your truck is a '76, you might not be able to use the collector satus because you qualify for QQ historic tags. Check with DMV in Trenton. I'm on my way out now to see if I can get pulled over
Old 06-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #12
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Look here
Are there any vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing?
*motorcycles
*vehicles registered as antique or circus vehicles
*Vehicles required to display a slow-moving vehicle emblem
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/vtr/sppla...ate.htm?nbr=70

"Antique Vehicle License Plate

Antique plates are issued for passenger cars, trucks, or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest and not used for regular transportation."

It does not sound like there is anything to be gained in Texas. It has to be 25 years old, and then it is exempt from emissions testing anyway.

Slonaker
Old 06-07-2004, 09:43 PM   #13
blink32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMale
If your truck is a '76, you might not be able to use the collector satus because you qualify for QQ historic tags. Check with DMV in Trenton.
I did some looking. If you choose, you can do either QQ or Collector or even Street Rod plates/registration on an older vehicle. Street Rods must be manu'd before 1949's vintage and registered with a state recognized street rod club, an affiliate of National Street Rod Association. QQ and Collector is up to the individual. But the QQ's are way more restrictive. Limit of atleast 25 years old, used only for exhibition purposes or built before 1945 but no mention of a mileage limit. Collector is just no more than 3k miles a year and insured as a limited use "collector vehicle".

I'm sure some of that is open to interpretation by the officer and the court. But that Collector seems a lot easier way to go.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote