The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
AirSpeed

A little trailer/camper mishap dented my bumper

My wife and I went on a last minute camp trip this weekend. In my hurry to get on the road I didn't slide the hitch into the reciever far enough and completely missed the hole with the hitch pin, drove about a block and heard a loud scraping noise behind me, looked in the mirror to see my prized home built teardrop trailer grinding toungue first on the road, I tried to decelerate slow enough to keep it from rear ending my truck, I thought I had it until the safety chain sprang the trailer into my bumper destroying the batter/propane box mounted in front on the toungue. Fortunately the box is separate from the body of the camper and is easily rebuilt but when it hit my brand new chrome bumper it forced the bumper against the mounts and made a bump near the two inner bolts. I hope I can tap them out, they're not very noticeable but they suck!
One concelation to this, also in my hurry I failed to plug in the trailer lights, it was dark when I got on the road and if the trailer hadn't fallen off I would have hit the hi way without lights and could have been hit, possibly hurting not only my wife and I but anyone behind me.
I got lucky this time and will be a lot more careful in the future! Anyone know how to tap dents out of a chrome bumper!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote