The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
drbeeper17

Passenger Side Rocker Panel

I wanted to see where everyone was getting their replacement passenger side rocker panels from. I bought one from GMC Paul's a few years ago, but it has stamping lines along the top surface (visible when you open the door). Additionally, the area is recessed maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. In order to make it look good, I would have to fill the whole area with body filler until it was smooth. It seems like there should be a rocker panel replacement that does not require this much work. I asked GMC Paul if this is how they come now and he confirmed that the passenger side still has these manufacturing lines/defects in them. I like how thick they are, but I'm trying to avoid having to add substantial amounts of body filler. Thanks.
Attached Images

drbeeper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
toiletbowl54

Re: Passenger Side Rocker Panel

Top Banana is where I got mine and they do not have the "ribs".
toiletbowl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
718jwh

I would try to find NOS, I spent many hours getting aftermarket to fit on LH side so decided to look for NOS for RH side I had to buy a set and it fit so much better on RH side I took the aftermarket LH off and use the one from the set.
718jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #4
sprint_9

Im guessing you have Key Parts rockers, that is what I had and they were the same way.

Its good that you are concerned about using filler, but in that area its not too big of a deal. You have plug welds to cover there, and you stay away from the edge so it should be fine.

You might end up with more problems than the tooling marks when you go to line everything up with the door. I had good luck with my passenger side and horrible luck with the drivers. Its kind of luck on how they will fit I think, each cab is built and aged a little different from the next. NOS is probably the way to go but they are hard to find and expensive. With a little work you can make the aftermarket ones look good.
Attached Images

sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote