The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
au03z71

Engine help

I'm going back and forth here. I could possibly get my hands on a 72 Cheyenne as early as tomorrow. I posted pics of it last week... Anyway:

I was looking to keep the original block and stroke it to a 383 just to have a matching numbers truck. Now, I'm hearing that the old 2 piece seal motors are nothing short of crap and it would be better to either build a newer motor or just fork out the grip for a turnkey due to being able to have a roller cam, longevity, etc...

So, for originality sake (or lack thereof), should I beef up the old school motor, or look for some new iron to throw under the hood? Also, what value, if any, would be added by keeping the original motor?

Thanks again
au03z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: Engine help

small block 400 two piece rear main seal, I could had bought any motor I wanted but chosed to do an old schoool motor call me crazy but it has worked out for me so far. As far as number matching to each its own but I could care less I buy something because I like it, just MHO....
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
au03z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
small block 400 two piece rear main seal, I could had bought any motor I wanted but chosed to do an old schoool motor call me crazy but it has worked out for me so far. As far as number matching to each its own but I could care less I buy something because I like it, just MHO....
I'm leaning towards old school too... I guess I'm crazy as well. Engine looks like you could eat off it by the way. Very nice....
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm all for driveability.I'm going to lower,improve and add what makes me happy(disc brakes,power steeing,A/c).That said,there's no point in having a matching numbers motor.It's not like these trucks qualify for concours events.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
au03z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I'm all for driveability.I'm going to lower,improve and add what makes me happy(disc brakes,power steeing,A/c).That said,there's no point in having a matching numbers motor.It's not like these trucks qualify for concours events.
I'm going to do the same to mine (lower, disc brakesetc...) However, if there's nothing wrong with the motor, I think I'll just roll with it. After all, it's got factory a/c and p/s.

Last edited by au03z71; 12-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
69halfton

well, if you dead set on a performace motor, and getting another motor is an option, why not build a perfamance engine, pull the numbers matching motor out, and save it. and if the time comes to sell that truck or whatever, and having a numbers matching engine will boost it's worth, you can just drop that motor back in.

whats it take to pull the motor on these trucks? ten minites

oh wait...i forgot you had a/c

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote