The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2003, 05:59 PM   #1
C10Squared

Intro and some questions (long)

Well, I've been reading the board since last week when I picked up my new project. It's a '69 Custom SWB. The engine was rebuilt in February, but it hasn't really been driven much in the last 2 years. Like all projects, the rust didn't seem as bad until I got home and started taking it apart. Guess I can't complain though since I only paid $1000 for it.
<skip this if you want>
I guess I should mention a little about me. I grew up around muscle cars and car shows, so I have always loved the classics. However, my last carbureted car was in 1998 (a '68 mustang GT). Since 1998, I have dealt exclusively with late model domestic muscle including: 5 turbo Regals (including my current '87 GN with 31k orig miles), 1989 Turbo TA pace car, '92 GMC Typhoon, '99 Camaro SS vert., 2003 Mustang Cobra, '88 Saleen #50 etc... To make a long story short, this will be my first foray into a classic truck. I just hope that I have the skills and patience to finish this project.
</skip>

Anyway, I have some questions before I try to tackle this beast.

1. The cab has more rust than I first thought and will need:
-cab corners
-rockers (outer and inner)
-both floor pans
and the worst
-repair to the cowl area above the heater box.
Should I attempt to salvage the cab or just find a donor cab and swap? I may have located one locally that was a theft recovery and was wrecked. The damage APPEARS to have been limited to the part of the frame in front of the cab. However, the tranny was knocked over enough to slightly skew the tranny tunnel toward the passenger side. Cab has no rust, but the doors do not line up perfectly right now. I also need to mention that this cab also has the seat, gauges, window regulators, etc...that I will need (it's a CST LWB BTW) I could also use the tailgate and pretty much all the lights/lenses and bezels from the rear and sides. I think that I can get this for about $500 or so.

2. Are there any web pages or books specifically covering how to repair a steel bed or install a new wood bed? Can I install a wood bed in mine since it originally had a steel bed? You can judge for yourselves how bad my bed is and if I should try to fix it.

3. is there a page that walks through swapping over to 5 lug for the '69?

Sorry for the long post...here are the pics:
http://www.efi-street.com/IMAGES/69truck

I have seen some REALLY nice trucks on here and hope that I can make mine as nice one day.
‘70 GMC Jimmy
‘76 K5 Blazer
Follow me on instagram @C10squared
C10Squared is offline   Reply With Quote