The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

427 vs. 454 ???

Ok. Well here is the idea. I am thinking of picking up a long block and building it. Nothing crazy. Just a solid, reliable motor with plenty of power.
My questions:
1.) 427 or 454?
2.) Any particular long block of either to be looking for?
3.) Will one be cheaper to build than the other?
4.) What can I expect to spend on one block versus the other?

PS> I found a 427 long block from a 67 chevelle. And a tall deck 427 from I dunno.

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: 427 vs. 454 ???

The 454 with more cubic inches can make more power and will probably be easier to find. 427 tall decks are probably not suitable for what you are looking for as they can be expensive to build.

I would check the block numbers on the 67 "427" as I don't believe the 427 came in the Chevelles from the factory.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
watahyahknow

from wat i remember of the books i read about the bb chevy some of the high perf 427's came with a steel crank as where the 454 are all cast .
427's seem to have thicker cylinderwalls as whell

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

Just find a 454 out of a 70's Chevy truck and do a rebuild. If the crank is worn consider a 4.25 stroke crank from SCAT or Eagle and build a 489 STROKER. Keep the compression around 9:1 and a mild camshaft less than 220@.050 duration and you will have a T O R Q U E MONSTER sure to make you SMILE!!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

454 will probably be the cheapest as they are the most plentiful. What tranny are you going to use? I've got a recently rebuilt turbo 400 (less than 200 miles) with mild shift kit, new torque converter, all the lines, deep sump tranny pan, flywheel and new transmission mount, $400.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
QKENUF4U

do you want HP or TQ ? the 427 truck blocks are torque motors, the 427 car blocks are HP motors.... either way i would be happy unless i was drag racing.....
as for 427/454 isnt it the same block with different stroke (car block wise that is) ?

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 06-14-2009 at 10:05 AM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When building an engine(from the same family)always go with the most CI you can unless there is a weakness you don't want to pay to overcome.More CI=morepower.And the cost is usually the same.I also agree with Jim,if you have to replace the crank"stroke it" since the cost is minimal and the power/torque gains are respectable.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

You also have to remember that a 427 is a 454 block (4.250 bore) with a 396 crank (3.76 stroke). It will be almost impossible to find a true 427 block that is not a tall deck and you really don't want to me with one of those if you don't have too and if it's for everday driving. The key is your wording of getting a block and building it. Are you planning on paying for machine work? If you are wanting to buy one and just "freshen" it up, then you better either buy one that is running and in a vehicle or one that is completely torns apart. NEVER go off the claims of a seller. Every darn complete motor on a stand was recently "rebuilt" or "fresh". When testing a rig with a motor you plan on buying, never test drive it after they have warmed it up. In other words...you want to hear it start when it's ice cold. Since metal expands when it's warm, rod knocks and other things tend to go away or get quieter with temp. If the motor is on the stand, you need to pull both heads and look at the walls for ring scratching. They will be on the sides of the walls and not the ends from the piston being pushed and pulled by the crank. You also need to pull one or more (should pull all) of the mains and look at the bearings and crank. Do the same for a rod or two. A great deal means nothing if you have to replace a crank or maching the bores when you didn't budget too. If the person selling doesn't want you to do this....you should have suspicion. It's just too easy to do this and it will keep you from buying something that needs so much machine work that you would have been better off and money ahead to buy a basic crate motor. Good luck!!!!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
72blue

427 has a better rod to stroke ratio. the 454 is trying to punch out the walls. but like everyone says, the 454 would be easier to find.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
QKENUF4U

ya want a big block and not have to worry about BS then here ya go... get a nice book on building a BB and have fun.. personally this is what i would do if i was gonna build my ownn BB....plus ive used there engine kits and they have always been AWESOME KITS !!!!

http://www.pawengineparts.com/UnassembledBlkList.html
Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
QKENUF4U

actually those are the short block kits. not sure why they dont show you the long block kits.... guess ya have to call but IMHO its the way i would go...

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 06-14-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
capev86

if i was running a big block i'd want fuel injection to make the most of it (and to save as much gas as possible). i am swapping out the original 307 for a 406sbc in my 72 suburban (2wd 3/4 ton w/ 3 on the tree) eventually. it will be running the 4 barrel quadrajet from my dad's 84 suburban but i will some day hopefully upgrade to mpi for better fuel economy and automatic adjustability for high altitudes on long trips towing trailers (i live at sea level). also swapping out the 4.56 rear gear for a 3.73 with limited slip as soon as i can. i like big small block for the weight savings and stealth look, but a big block is definitely a way to go for serious power and only a new duramax w/ a 6 speed allison would be cooler.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
454 will probably be the cheapest as they are the most plentiful. What tranny are you going to use? I've got a recently rebuilt turbo 400 (less than 200 miles) with mild shift kit, new torque converter, all the lines, deep sump tranny pan, flywheel and new transmission mount, $400.
I was thinking 700r4. But not sure yet. It won't be for a while though. This will be something done in time. Not right away. Thanks for the offer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
You also have to remember that a 427 is a 454 block (4.250 bore) with a 396 crank (3.76 stroke). It will be almost impossible to find a true 427 block that is not a tall deck and you really don't want to me with one of those if you don't have too and if it's for everday driving. The key is your wording of getting a block and building it. Are you planning on paying for machine work? If you are wanting to buy one and just "freshen" it up, then you better either buy one that is running and in a vehicle or one that is completely torns apart. NEVER go off the claims of a seller. Every darn complete motor on a stand was recently "rebuilt" or "fresh". When testing a rig with a motor you plan on buying, never test drive it after they have warmed it up. In other words...you want to hear it start when it's ice cold. Since metal expands when it's warm, rod knocks and other things tend to go away or get quieter with temp. If the motor is on the stand, you need to pull both heads and look at the walls for ring scratching. They will be on the sides of the walls and not the ends from the piston being pushed and pulled by the crank. You also need to pull one or more (should pull all) of the mains and look at the bearings and crank. Do the same for a rod or two. A great deal means nothing if you have to replace a crank or maching the bores when you didn't budget too. If the person selling doesn't want you to do this....you should have suspicion. It's just too easy to do this and it will keep you from buying something that needs so much machine work that you would have been better off and money ahead to buy a basic crate motor. Good luck!!!!
I do plan on actually building one. I would never buy a "complete running fresh rebuilt" motor unless I have proof. I would have a machine shop do the work that I cant. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
ya want a big block and not have to worry about BS then here ya go... get a nice book on building a BB and have fun.. personally this is what i would do if i was gonna build my ownn BB....plus ive used there engine kits and they have always been AWESOME KITS !!!!

http://www.pawengineparts.com/UnassembledBlkList.html
Thanks for the suggestion. Ill check it out.

Thanks everyone else for the tips/tricks/advice/suggestions/info. I guess the verdict is in to go for a 454. Thanks again.

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote