The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Crazy Rusty

Question Temporary Floor Sealing

Any ideas for temporarily fixing rust holes in the floor boards? I'm going to slap some POR15 on but won't be able to get to welding in new pieces until next year. I was thinking about drilling holes and putting in some rubber stoppers...

Any one have ideas? I would leave it alone but up here in the NW we'll be getting rain from Sept-May and I've already found it wet under the carpet since I got it a week ago just from driving.
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
joe dirt

Re: Temporary Floor Sealing

maybe just some sheetmetal and caulking and screws for now
joe dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
63burban
Chevy addict

Screws and sheet metal. don't put the POR on until you are completely finished, it's almost impossible to get off once it's dried.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Jcox68rt

Or use the por15 with their fiberglass matting that you paint right over the with Por15... I've used it on very minor rust holes before and it's hard as steel once dried. I wouldn't use over quarter sized holes or bigger though..just an idea. If the holes are small and minor this could be a near permanent fix.
Jcox68rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
rcnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcox68rt View Post
Or use the por15 with their fiberglass matting that you paint right over the with Por15... I've used it on very minor rust holes before and it's hard as steel once dried. I wouldn't use over quarter sized holes or bigger though..just an idea. If the holes are small and minor this could be a near permanent fix.
I second this....works great
rcnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
OldGMJon

Question Re: Temporary Floor Sealing

could you explain that por 15 and fiberglass matt routine again with a little more detail?
64' Chevy C30 flatbed "above" 80' C30 "beneath")
Parts:
66' GMC 2503 & 65' GMC I1500
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Improbcat

You don't need to use POR-specific fiberglass mat, any of the chopped-strand type fiberglass mat will work.

Do all your rust grinding & surface prep, then trim a piece of the mat to cover the holes and overlap onto good metal. Lay down a coat of POR on both sides of the metal as usual, then lay the mat on a plastic covered surface and brush it with POR on both sides, forcing the POR into the weave. Lay this over the still-wet POR on the metal, and use a POR covered brush to force any air bubbles out and the mat hard against the metal. Wait for the POR to dry and put another coat of POR on both sides to seal the mat & metal together.

Be aware that you are going to have to cut out the entire POR & mat section and weld in new metal as there is no way to remove this fix from the metal for welding.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
dtkarst

I used regular fiberglass matting on my floors by the kick panels on my k20. Then sprayed some sound deadening undercoating over it before layig my carpet it. Worked great
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
OldGMJon

Question Re: Temporary Floor Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
You don't need to use POR-specific fiberglass mat, any of the chopped-strand type fiberglass mat will work.

Do all your rust grinding & surface prep, then trim a piece of the mat to cover the holes and overlap onto good metal. Lay down a coat of POR on both sides of the metal as usual, then lay the mat on a plastic covered surface and brush it with POR on both sides, forcing the POR into the weave. Lay this over the still-wet POR on the metal, and use a POR covered brush to force any air bubbles out and the mat hard against the metal. Wait for the POR to dry and put another coat of POR on both sides to seal the mat & metal together.

Be aware that you are going to have to cut out the entire POR & mat section and weld in new metal as there is no way to remove this fix from the metal for welding.
Thanks for the details...I was under the assumption that POR 15 worked best on rusty portions because it reacted with the rust. In your explanation you grind the rust off. Do you lose any of that reaction by doing so?
Parts:
Old 05-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Jcox68rt

You just need to get the heavy scales stuff off and get it prepped according to por15 directions so it will adhere well.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
OldGMJon

Wink Re: Temporary Floor Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcox68rt View Post
You just need to get the heavy scales stuff off and get it prepped according to por15 directions so it will adhere well.
OK I see what you mean now. Thanks for the info...
Parts:
Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
Crazy Rusty

Thumbs up Re: Temporary Floor Sealing

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to use some POR15 on the stuff I'll be cutting out anyway and then probably the caulking/sheetmetal. A little worried I might overdue it if I go the fiberglass route
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

This almost sounds like a good permanent fix for the floor. I mean, if you clean the floors and you only have small holes why couldn't it last you the rest of your life?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #14
Jcox68rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
This almost sounds like a good permanent fix for the floor. I mean, if you clean the floors and you only have small holes why couldn't it last you the rest of your life?
All depends. How bad the rust is to start with, where you live (climate), & how the truck/car will be used once done. I did this to an old survivor Plymouth Valiant I had, I didn't drive it or park it in the rain once I got and I gave the pin hole floorboards this treatment and it lasted for many years, put new carpet in it earlier this year to sell it and floors and trunk looked like I had just done them. I also did this to the pinhole trunk floor in my 68 Charger RT show car about back in 2001. I haven't lifted the carpet in it since...might have to go investigate to see what it looks like now...probably looks like it was just done, It hasn't been in the rain or washed (just wiped down) since.