The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
Pont406

Today I found out that new dodge trucks are fast.

For a while I was doing ok. I ran a few f150s, some 1500 chevy and gms. I had no problems walking away from them. Today I had a chance to run a 08 dodge 1500 with a 5.6 motor. I could not hook up even after lowering tire pressure to 18psi. He didnt want to run from a 15mph roll. So I tryed 4 times. I even bumped the timing and added some 108 octane to try and catch him on top end, but that made traction worse. After I hooked I couldn't catch him. I am impressed with a new dodge trucks. All stock with 900 miles on it. Now I have some work to do. Monday I will be ordering gears and see if I can find a set of 15X8 wheels.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: Today I found out that new dodge trucks are fast.

What are the specs on your motor etc.?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Fill in your signature so we know what you have.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
retselgerg

i have just 3 things to say about the 5.7 hemi......LS1 .....
dont get me wrong those are trucks are quick, but gosh everyone that has one thanks that they are the baddest MTF on the block...
give me a half wore out set of 202's pr vortecs and a half wore out 350 or 327 block, a 373 posi, and a tight muncie or t-10 and i like my chances a lot better then the 5.7, by the way i hate how they have watered down the prestige of the "426 Hemi" its not even a true hemi design on these trucks,
sorry i got carried away i had a really steamed up convo at work with a "friend" over this

Last edited by retselgerg; 03-25-2008 at 06:35 AM.
retselgerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

i cant wait till i get my motor built. i hope to be running a calvin pissing on HEMI rear window sticker at least for a little while.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
custom72c20

I beat an 08 Hemi Crewcab Longhorn on the way home from work last week. I pulled him in every gear and my truck only has a mild rv cam, aluminum intake, edelbrock carb, and true dual exhaust all the way back.

Old pic of my 72: http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0435co5.jpg
04 Silverado Daily Driver
68 GMC short step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379665

"I'll beat you to the gas station!!"

custom72c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Pont406

I know the guy. He is a hard core buick guy. It's kinda personal now. I could not hook my truck no matter what and his dodge hooked all the time. I have some wore out m/t 275/60/15 tires from my bracket car. I will locate some 15X8 rims next week and it will be on. Right now I have a 3.08 gears. Is that a 3 series carrier? I am running a vey mild pontiac motor in my 69 c-10.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Deuce

I beat one with my 2004 Saturn Vue!!!!!!!!! LOL
It had the 250HP Honda motor though.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Maybe you should run with me and my 4x4 and manual 4-speed. No need for 1st. 2nd to 3rd: shift........ed, 3rd to 4th same thing.

Definitely not speedy

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 03-25-2008 at 10:20 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
pulltilbroke

I don't think the new Hemis are that impressive, my old 90 Cummins Dodge chews em up and spits em out, but it's not very stock anymore

None of my old bowties are very fast I got 2 wore out 6's and 1 mild 350
93 Dodge W350 Dually Cummins, Getrag, 205,D60/D70
pulltilbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
1966ponyguy

I own a 04 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi, swb, 2wd with the 20's. It is fast. I have added SSBC big brakes and a Paxton Procharger. When Nashville Racing Services dyno'd it, (it also has cat backs, stage 2 intercooler and programer) it was over 700 hp at the rear tires. I have hurt the feelings of several "fast" cars including a C6. From the factory they are fast, but anything in a plain wrapper should worry you, as you just never know.
1966ponyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

That Dodge probably weighs 6000lbs. Youre 2000lbs. lighter. throw some sand bags in the back of the bed; get some drag radials and smoke his ...
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pont406 View Post
Right now I have a 3.08 gears. I am running a vey mild pontiac motor in my 69 c-10.
What trans are you running? With that gear even if you hook up you probably wont catch up. I know that a few years back around here if you didn't have a 3.55 or better you were S.O.L.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
1966ponyguy

Guys and gals, I think what the new mod motors have over our beloved engines of the past is the ease of making power. It's hard to argue with the improvements that have been made. The LS1 heads generally flow right at 300 from the factory, with 400 to 450 very do-able. Possible with a big block, but a real push for a small block. The electronic allow the engines to be streetable but still make the numbers. Yes, my Dodge weighs 5800 lbs. but coupled with the 6 spd auto, and 355 50 20's out back. 700 hp at the tires is still 700 horses. I love the older engines as much as anyone, and I am a hot-rodder, not Chevy, not Ford, not Dodge, a hot-rodder. I love to see nice rides (still trying to get the tuner thing figured out). An older engine making more that 500 hp is border line not streetable especially a daily driver. And usually with an auto, anything making that much power will have a high stall convertor, which only makes the problem worse if you drive it. I'm putting the 327 back into the 68 C10, but it's hard to find much wrong with the new stuff.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
chevy72blu

I dont care how fast your vehicle is, if all you did to it was read the brochure and tune it via the OBD port, you have zero bragging rights.

Back when I was running my mostly mild SBC, I would occasionally get beat on the 5.7 HEMI's, and let me tell you- they are as bad as mustang owners. Dont sweat it. Getting beat just means theres more work to be done on your rig.

Personally, Ive never gloated over a win unless I was getting **** talked-to before hand (usually by the ricer crowd). My favorite 'street' runs were the ones in which we both pulled over at the next gas station and opened our hoods. Met a few really cool guys.

Keep the top end off of the street... I've never ran more than little more than a 60' from a light, simply for. safety. All too often you see ricers wrapped around light posts from "street racing" activity. All it does it tarnish the name of drag racing. Take it to a track when you really want to run it.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
sjarrett71

Quote:
Keep the top end off of the street... I've never ran more than little more than a 60' from a light, simply for. safety. All too often you see ricers wrapped around light posts from "street racing" activity. All it does it tarnish the name of drag racing. Take it to a track when you really want to run it.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
streetstar

Those new Dodges are ok -- but all the new trucks are pretty close. My '06 F150 5.4 has an Edge programmer to tune its shift times, as well as the other typical goodies (Flowmaster cat back exhaust, cold air intake, 3.73 gears)

Its not in a league with "1966Ponyguys" truck (few are), but it will hold its own with a hemi truck or 6.0l Chevy with similar mods ---- but my '75 C-10 with a almost stock 454 walked away from it from 60mph until it hit the 98 mph rev limiter (0-60 was about equal) it was 3 lengths ahead at 98 mph and obviously still going --- like a big orange energizer bunny

Nonsense! I'm in my prime

Last edited by streetstar; 03-26-2008 at 01:54 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
496stroker1

think the gearing in the newer trucks helps alot, most of the newer ones have 373's or better. the new toyotas with their 5.7 have 4.10's standard,with i think 4.30's being optional with a 6 speed its now wonder they pull like a bat outta hell. heard alot of stories about the mileage on the hemi's.....
496stroker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #19
Jim_PA

I don't know what the stockers run, but I hope I can handle it with ease

It's quiet, and has the street manners of a new one. Gotta love the sleepers.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #20
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
I don't know what the stockers run, but I hope I can handle it with ease

It's quiet, and has the street manners of a new one. Gotta love the sleepers.
At around 2k elevation, 14.3-15.2 depending on driver and weather, but I'd be willing to bet the majority of them have programmers (why wouldnt you?)

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #21
1966ponyguy

I think that everyone should remember, no matter what you are running, someone out there is badder. New Hemi, New LS1, row boat with jet engine. Missed who said it in their reply, but it's true, if you get beat, means you still have work to do. I thought my Dodge was bad, went to one of the Friday night fights at one of the local drag strips (run what you brung, all you want to race) which I must mention, is the proper place the test your setups. There was a SRT-10 that went by me so fast, it may have caused pulled some of the clear coat off. Turns out, he had a twin turbo setup that he was testing to start manufacturing a kit. That was a bad truck. If I remember correctly, (with my tail between my legs) it was below the 10.5 through the quarter and the track officials told him to keep it off the raceway until he had a roll cage. I guess I have more work to do. As far as not bragging about what you did with a tuner, point taken and agreed with. With that said, I wish all my vehicles had a port where I could plug in a tuner and pick up 20 - 25 % in a couple of minutes. Then back it out when I didn't need it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #22
ccd3

Give me 1/2 the price of a new loaded-out Dodge Ram w/ a Hemi and I gurantee I'll put 500 streetable horsepower on the asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966ponyguy View Post
I think that everyone should remember, no matter what you are running, someone out there is badder. New Hemi, New LS1, row boat with jet engine. Missed who said it in their reply, but it's true, if you get beat, means you still have work to do. I thought my Dodge was bad, went to one of the Friday night fights at one of the local drag strips (run what you brung, all you want to race) which I must mention, is the proper place the test your setups. There was a SRT-10 that went by me so fast, it may have caused pulled some of the clear coat off. Turns out, he had a twin turbo setup that he was testing to start manufacturing a kit. That was a bad truck. If I remember correctly, (with my tail between my legs) it was below the 10.5 through the quarter and the track officials told him to keep it off the raceway until he had a roll cage. I guess I have more work to do. As far as not bragging about what you did with a tuner, point taken and agreed with. With that said, I wish all my vehicles had a port where I could plug in a tuner and pick up 20 - 25 % in a couple of minutes. Then back it out when I didn't need it.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 AM   #23
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccd3 View Post
Give me 1/2 the price of a new loaded-out Dodge Ram w/ a Hemi and I gurantee I'll put 500 streetable horsepower on the asphalt.
A new Dodge is probably 35k -- For 17,500 you could have something that moves great in a straight line, sure. But That new Dodge (or Chevy or Ford or Tundra) carries 5 people in air conditioned comfort with dvd players, trailer brake controllers, leather interior, ABS, etc. etc.

I love old trucks (or i wouldnt be on the board) - but there's no comparison to the new ones for everyday power, safety, convenience, and (relative)economy.

Also, hp is net on a new truck, so the 345 a hemi makes is probably 375 or 380 at the flywheel, and my Ford was chassis dynoed at 297 (which i was told roughly translates into 375 as well at the FW.
20 years ago, if someone told me i could have a 375 hp truck that weighs 5300 pounds and pulls 11,000, runs the quarter in the mid 15's and gets 15 mpg, i would've thought they were crazy, but now numbers like that are routine

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #24
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
Also, hp is net on a new truck, so the 345 a hemi makes is probably 375 or 380 at the flywheel, and my Ford was chassis dynoed at 297 (which i was told roughly translates into 375 as well at the FW.
you're a little off here. Yes, the new trucks are rated as "net horsepower" compared to the old "gross horsepower". Both of the ratings are flywheel horsepower. The difference is the net numbers are measured as installed in the vehicle (so the same exhaust system, all the accessories). The old gross ratings were pretty much the engine with a set of headers.
The new hemi's may be faster, but I must say I really like my 05 CrewCab Chevy.

Also, if you don't think tuning via the OBDII port isn't tuning, you need to do some research.....granted the stupid plug and play tuners are a joke, but if you get a good programmer Such as HP tuners or LS1edit, you have to have just as much knowledge (actually a lot more) than tuning a carb/distributor motor. You just don't have to get your hands dirty!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #25
retselgerg

an LS1 would suck the plugs out of a a newer hemi....build em with the same money or leave em stock...just the way it is