The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2003, 03:49 AM   #1
jeffy

Lightbulb 70 blazer axle swap D60 & 14bolts need help with brakes, thanks.

Howdy, I'm needing ideas/information on a braking setup. I plan to change out my 1/2 ton gear for 1 ton stuff. Thanks for any help in advance, its appreciated. Here's the question(s):

What are others doing to support the larger braking systems when they convert?

This is my situation. I got a good deal on a complete running 1984 1 ton chevy truck (D60 disc, 14bolt drum). I'm planning the axle converstion. I'm unsure about how to proceed with the brake system. The donor truck has hydralic assist or 'hydro boost' brake setup. It looks stout and has been factory 'engineered' to work with the 1 ton brake parts in the wheels. I think I'd like to use this hydro gear but not sure exactly what I'd be getting into - Not sure how difficult or complicated the conversiton would be. The blazer (70) has a power boost drum system so it seems unlikely mounting holes for it and the pedal assemblies would mate up with minor reworking, etc.

On top of this, I'm also looking at swapping out the auto for the 4 speed tranny. This work would require (I think) that the pedal assembly out of the 84 truck (hydralic clutch (?) be reworked somehow into the 70 balzer. Is this a seperate stand alone project or does it relate or facilitate the possiblity of re-using the hydro brakes in the older blazer?

The blazer's motor is a 350 the tranny a TH350/NP205. The donor's a 6.2 liter, it has 4 speed SM465/NP205.

Again, thanks for any info you can supply.

Jeff
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
TX_Mudder

The main problem I see is that all the swaps would work well if you have a 73. Since you have a first gen, I am not 100% sure if they use the same stuff.
If you reuse the hydroboost, you need to get the entire system. Booster, MC, lines... I don't remember offhand if the hydrboost taps the hydr. pressure from the steering box or directly from the PS pump - you need to check and make sure to get that part too.

For the tranny swap, you must get the pedals.
If your truck is originally an auto, it will NOT have the z-bar bracket riveted to the frame and you need this from the donor. The z-bar is basically a pivot point for the clutch linkage.

Again, not sure if it all bolts up to a first gen. Those would be good question to ask in the first gen board on coloradok5.com

-- Mike
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:54 AM   #3
TX_Mudder

Forgot to say this - no, the hydraulic clutch is completely seperate from the hydroboost. You could do just the hydroboost, just the hydraulic clutch, or both. Doesn't matter.
-- Mike
TX_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
blazerboy72

Talking

i dont think it will work. i think you should give it all to me! jk
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
blazerboy72

you can check coloradok5.com they will know
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
jeffy

Thanks for the replies.

Mike, I've got the complete donor truck for parts - I'll make sure to get the "z bar" bracket and the other items - but whats your feeling on the hydroboost. Is the conversion worth the effort, any experience with this equipment?

Mike & Blazerboy, I got the question over on CK5, good suggestion.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
Mike C

PM Yukon Jack, he is contemplating same setup in his truck.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote