The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
454HO

454HO, my story and project pictures

Thought I would consolidate all my project pics into one thread, in chronological order. Hopefully I'll remember to keep this updated as I make more progress.

4/7/05 - This is what my truck looked like when I first registered here... forgive my messy garage. Major components are a '77 Chevy Silverado 1/2ton long box, rebuilt TH400 transmission, brand new 454HO crate motor, and a U.S. Body fiberglass tilt front end. The truck and most of the parts have been sitting in this state for nearly two years. I just had too many other things going on in my life to work on it. Anyway, I am starting to make progress now, so hopefully this heap will actually drive down the road again sometime in the not too distant future.

4/25/05 - Front of frame and xmember stripped to bare metal and painted with POR-15.

5/3/05 - Xmember mounted back onto the frame using all new grade 8 hardware. Test fitting engine.

5/17/05 - Control arms sandblasted, removing bushings.

5/19/05 - A big shipment of parts arrives.

6/5/05 - Belltech rear sway bar finally delivered... it was on back-order.

6/25/05 A little bit of rust in the cowl area. Going to have to address that eventually.

7/26/05 Dropping in the freshly painted Chevy Orange motor. Don't worry about the overspray on the valve covers, they will be replaced eventually.

8/31/05-9/4/05 Getting the front end assembled. I used all Moog parts for the front end. The control arm bushings are the 'problem solver' line which are a harder durometer rubber than the GM originals so handling should be improved. Plus they will never squeak. Calipers are rebuilt, rotors are new. Shocks are Monroe Gas Magnums. Spindles are BellTech 3" drop. Springs are the stock BB spings that were already in the truck.