The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
nomrlz

donor truck arriving tomorrow

i'm suppose to be gettin back my old 85 (or 86 cant remember) work truck tomorrow. gonna use it to upgrade my sons 66 to pwr steering/pwr disc brakes. i'm thinkin just unbolt the whole front crossmember to make it easy. then my buddy is takin the rest back. i'll be snapping pics to see what all i should be grabbing off while it's here. can i use the brake booster with cpt fab bracket?
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: donor truck arriving tomorrow

No you cannot use the '73-'87 boosters with my bracket. Those boosters have the mounting brackets riveted onto the booster. To use those boosters you will have to drill holes in the firewall. My booster bracket will bolt on using existing holes, but a different booster is needed. The master cylinder will still work though.

Yes I would recommend swapping the entire front suspension, crossmember and all. If you're going to use the '85 0r '86 power steering, I have the adapters for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomrlz View Post
i'm suppose to be gettin back my old 85 (or 86 cant remember) work truck tomorrow. gonna use it to upgrade my sons 66 to pwr steering/pwr disc brakes. i'm thinkin just unbolt the whole front crossmember to make it easy. then my buddy is takin the rest back. i'll be snapping pics to see what all i should be grabbing off while it's here. can i use the brake booster with cpt fab bracket?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
nomrlz

i'll be using what evah you tell me capt . plans are to put this front/brakes/steering on. already have an '05 5.3L and gonna use a 4L60 with the 99 Z28 tank i've had. my son bought the 66 with his mowing money last year when he was 10. we go halves on everything so it is gonna be a slow build. i want to make sure he appreciates it when he turns 16

the 66

the donor

Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
nomrlz

can't decide to use this column or not. thinking i should find a van column so there is no key on it. just need a cruise button on it is all. not using this seat either. gonna find a 99-05 chevy bench for the intergrated shoulder belts

Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
nomrlz

well, 4.5hrs later. my son, his buddy and i got it all out. only thing left is the master cylinder.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
nomrlz

he was rolling in sweat . hopefully it will make him appreciate it more

Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Looks to me like some quality father and son time
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
nomrlz

he's got some more mowing to do then we'll be rebuilding all this and buying your steering/brake brackets.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

FWIW, you might look into being a site supporter, and selling off some of the leftover parts you are not using. The black seatbelts and interior trim are [U]very[U] popular with the 73-87 crowd.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
nomrlz

worked last night and was taking a nap today. only to be woke up by someone loading the truck on a trailer to go to be scrapped. i told my buddy that was letting me have the front end some people may want the bumpers, glass, etc. oh well, out of my yard and off to truck heaven
Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Hopefully you got everything off of it that you needed for your son's '66.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
nomrlz

got the entire front end that bolts to the crossmember. brakes, a-arms, springs, sway bar, steering gearbox/shaft all the way up to the colum, master cylinder and even the motor mounts.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
nomrlz

any preference for rebuild parrts? Energy still bushings of choice? anybodies ball joints etc better than others. thinkin 2" drop springs unless this front lowers it more than stock already. how bout shocks. anybody have bad luck with any. don't wanna go crazy on budget but want it to be done right so it drives nice when my lil shythed gets his license
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

For front suspension rebuild parts, I would just get good quality parts from you local auto parts supply. Moog and MacQuay-Norris are both good quality as would be parts from NAPA.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #15
nomrlz

appreciate the help. i noticed the moog stuff was about $160 more than the master pro at oriellys. i know some of the house brand stuff is decent but you never know
Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah the Moog may be more, but IMO steering and suspension, isn't something you want to go cheap on. Depending on the finances, you can always do a little at a time....replace the parts now that will be a major job later. Of course if there is something else that is unsafe, replace that. But good useable parts, could get you by if desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomrlz View Post
appreciate the help. i noticed the moog stuff was about $160 more than the master pro at oriellys. i know some of the house brand stuff is decent but you never know
Old 07-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #17
nomrlz

won't be any skimpin on any safety related parts. like i said, this is my 11 year olds truck and will be his daily driver when he gets his license. i want it to handle, stop and turn like a newer vehicle. i was planning one around $500 to rebuild the front end and you know how the old 120% rule goes when it comes to budget.