The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
yossarian19

Have CPP power steering kit, input is *real* sloppy. Ideas?

I've got a 57 longbed with the CPP power steering kit, which puts a '70s box ahead of the front left tire outside the frame rail.
The supplied intermediate shaft is kind of a joke. I mean, it's present and it is made of steel - but between the two joint connections and the loose slip-fit of the collapsible steering shaft, the wheel moves about an inch and a half or two inches before steering happens.
Other than that, I've got all new rod ends. I've got a 7/8" solid tie rod between the knuckles. The bearings are tight & greased. The kingpins are new and pretty tight.
The box I bought could be better, I got a Lares and am not over impressed...
What else am I missing that could contribute to this slop in the steering?
If I'm down to the intermediate shaft... what are my other options? Anything from a junkyard likely to work for me?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Have CPP power steering kit, input is *real* sloppy. Ideas?

I made my own CCP like set up before they were making theirs. I used an Astro van and 74 truck shafts. The Astro van upper and lower were direct bolt on to the steering wheel and box. I checked at the junk yard to make sure the joints were good. The "D" center section was pinned and spot welded to the astro "D" shafts with the center slip section left intact to allow for frame/cab movement and flex offroad. column is 82 eldo, suspension is 74 k10. There is no slop in mine even though I can grab the slip joint and it will move laterally.

What I would suggest is get a helper and have them move the wheel while you look and feel closely at every part starting with the lower column bearing, all the joints, box, drag link and tie rod ends. An inch of movement on the outside of a 16" steering wheel translates to 1/16" at the shaft, so you are looking for small increments. Could also be a number of small increments that add up to the wheel. My suspicion would be the steering box adjustment, I know I have to adjust my DD 64 chevelle about once a year because the wide tires are wearing the box out.

Not as pretty as the Borgsen stuff but my cost was $10 and its quality GM engineered products.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote