The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Dad's72

Trying to start my 72

Hey y'all, I am new here but have been looking at this forum fora couple of years off and on. I have a 1972 Cheyenne Super long bed that was left to me by my father. My mother bought this for my dad in 1973 and he kept it all these year. I was after it just before I turned 16 years old. I even tried buying it from him but he would never let me get it off of him. Fast forward to the summer of 2007. I was 26 and in the middle of a home remodel of my first house. My dad sits me down on a Saturday morning and slides the tile over to me and tells me that the 72 is now mine as long as I promise not to sell it. We go over our plans and get a game plan together and are wanting to start tearing it down around Nov or Dec. Well my dad past away two months later on August 2nd. After funeral costs and and finishing up the remodel I didn't have any money to spend on the truck. After getting married and having two kids my money was thin.

Fast forward to now, I want to try and start the truck. I would like to at least drive it around in the neighborhood or to my new house before parking it and tearing it down to the frame, this is probably a year out.
My question to all of y'all who obviously have more experience in this than I is where do I start? I poured a little oil in each plug and replaced all the plugs, new distributor cap and rotor, new oil pump, and made sure the motor turns over. It has a qudrojet carb that I'm sure is gunked up. I hooked up a battery and it turned over and ran for a few seconds. But two tries later the starter burned up. I need to rebuild the starter in hopes it will be cheeper than buying a new one. But what do y'all recommend in order to at least get it running.
These pictures are right before I put some used tires on it.
Attached Images

Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
bigmac73

Re: Trying to start my 72

How long has it been sitting? first thing I would do is remove the tank clean it out, remove the old sock type strainer on the pick up tube (they usually end up as rust and dirt in the bottom of the tank, install a new fuel filter
that way you know your fuel system is at least cleaned
also make sure there are no electrical ground issues, (starter burnt up)... make sure nothing is touching the frame or exhaust
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
cooperhw

I think I would remove the fuel line from the carb to the fuel pump first. Put a hose or something over it so it doesn't spray that old bad gas all over if it pumps at all. Next thing I would do is remove those plugs again. Let her spin freely for a bit, trying to build up oil pressure (clean oil right?). Once you have her spinning freely see if you are getting any spark by placing one of the wires near an exhaust bolt while spinning. If you are getting spark, compression, all you need now is gas. Pour some in the carb and see if she'll make smoke. If it fires up, get that bad gas out of the tank as well as the sock strainer and any other fuel filters along the way. Might be one in the carb itself under the inlet tube.
Fire it up.
Great thing about a internal combustion engine is all it needs is suck, compress, bang, and blow to run. Don't need water. Don't need carb. Don't need fuel pump. Don't need exhaust system.
Light that bad boy up and you will instantly gain some motivation.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
How long has it been sitting? first thing I would do is remove the tank clean it out, remove the old sock type strainer on the pick up tube (they usually end up as rust and dirt in the bottom of the tank, install a new fuel filter
that way you know your fuel system is at least cleaned
also make sure there are no electrical ground issues, (starter burnt up)... make sure nothing is touching the frame or exhaust
It was sitting for like 15 years before I started trying to play with it. Will a tank that has been sitting for that long clean up enough for use? Temporary use anyway. And what would you suggest cleaning it out with?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
I think I would remove the fuel line from the carb to the fuel pump first. Put a hose or something over it so it doesn't spray that old bad gas all over if it pumps at all. Next thing I would do is remove those plugs again. Let her spin freely for a bit, trying to build up oil pressure (clean oil right?). Once you have her spinning freely see if you are getting any spark by placing one of the wires near an exhaust bolt while spinning. If you are getting spark, compression, all you need now is gas. Pour some in the carb and see if she'll make smoke. If it fires up, get that bad gas out of the tank as well as the sock strainer and any other fuel filters along the way. Might be one in the carb itself under the inlet tube.
Fire it up.
Great thing about a internal combustion engine is all it needs is suck, compress, bang, and blow to run. Don't need water. Don't need carb. Don't need fuel pump. Don't need exhaust system.
Light that bad boy up and you will instantly gain some motivation.
Yes it is clean oil. Replaced the oil and filter. I just forgot to mention that. I don't think there is any electrical issues. All the other stuff works fine like the lights and radio. I think I just tried it too many times and didn't let it cool off. I took off the fuel line to the filter and it was filled with almost like a solid material in it. Almost like and amber sap on a peach or plum tree. Weird. I will have to replace the lines as well.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
bigmac73

I would replace the lines , or at least run a temporary rubber one from the pump then to the carb just to get it running for now so you can start making a list of things to replace
maybe pop the pump off and replace( usually cheap) you do not want the old one to leak in the crank case,

but you can take out the tank and clean out with some paint thinner or some kind of solvent and some gravel shake the piss out of it , let the gravel work any lose flaky rust and dump it out then maybe douche a little gas in it before you put it back in,
rock auto has new tanks for around 125 bones give or take 20 or 30 bucks as well
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
leftybass209

You are getting some great info so far, and you've got a good start to getting it running. Fuel is key! Honestly, I would run rubber fuel line (safely away from hot and moving parts) into a fuel can, through the pump, then up to the carb. It really is a two person job to do it safely. When you start pulling the fuel tank and fuel lines you may wind up uncovering issues that need to be addressed before you can continue, all the while you're wondering if the truck will even start when you get finished! Keep a fire extinguisher with you because the electrical, and carb will be unpredictable. You should price the time and effort it takes to rebuild the starter versus a remanufactured one from a parts store. I didn't see you mention what kind of transmission it has in it, but before you drive it make sure to squirt a little WD40 around all the seals like the output shaft and shifter seal. That just ensures you don't immediately cause a leak if you don't already have a few, when you take it around the block.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
You are getting some great info so far, and you've got a good start to getting it running. Fuel is key! Honestly, I would run rubber fuel line (safely away from hot and moving parts) into a fuel can, through the pump, then up to the carb. It really is a two person job to do it safely. When you start pulling the fuel tank and fuel lines you may wind up uncovering issues that need to be addressed before you can continue, all the while you're wondering if the truck will even start when you get finished! Keep a fire extinguisher with you because the electrical, and carb will be unpredictable. You should price the time and effort it takes to rebuild the starter versus a remanufactured one from a parts store. I didn't see you mention what kind of transmission it has in it, but before you drive it make sure to squirt a little WD40 around all the seals like the output shaft and shifter seal. That just ensures you don't immediately cause a leak if you don't already have a few, when you take it around the block.
I'll have to call a buddy of mine to give me a hand doing a little bit of this. I priced a new starter for this truck and it is available at Autozone for $35. I will not be rebuilding it now. I guess I will take the plugs out, turn the motor a few times by hand to get oil flowing, replace the starter, clean out the carburetor and reinstall it, squirt some fuel in it and see if it will run.
Next would be taking out the tank and cleaning it out and replace the fuel filter, see if it will run continuously. Next would be to change all the fluids and filters along with a new thermostat and radiator flush and again let it run. Right? And replace any lines that may be cracked or leaking. Sound about right?
I know my way around the garage but have never attempted a "rebuild". My mentor is gone so I will have to just learn as I go and seek help on here when I need it.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
leftybass209

Next would be to change all the fluids and filters along with a new thermostat and radiator flush and again let it run. Right?
If it fires, then you can worry about draining fluids and changing filters and flushing the radiator. As it sits, the oil should have enough viscosity to run for 5 minutes or so, but I'd drain a bit out of the pan to make sure you don't have water in your oil. In that same 5 minute time frame, the coolant shouldn't get warm enough to open the thermostat, so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing it before you know it will run continuously.
And replace any lines that may be cracked or leaking.
This should be done after you know it will run continuously, but before you go replacing fluids and getting them contaminated with whatever junk is in the lines, hoses, and filters. I'm sure you knew that already, it was just worded out of order.

Over all I would assume your goal is to ensure the truck runs without wasting money on extra filters, oil, coolant, and lines. With that in mind, always remember to replace everything between point A and B that might contaminate your new fluids.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
70cst

Hey Dad's72 ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

As far as your truck goes ...
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Next would be to change all the fluids and filters along with a new thermostat and radiator flush and again let it run. Right?
If it fires, then you can worry about draining fluids and changing filters and flushing the radiator. As it sits, the oil should have enough viscosity to run for 5 minutes or so, but I'd drain a bit out of the pan to make sure you don't have water in your oil. In that same 5 minute time frame, the coolant shouldn't get warm enough to open the thermostat, so you don't have to go through the hassle of changing it before you know it will run continuously.
And replace any lines that may be cracked or leaking.
This should be done after you know it will run continuously, but before you go replacing fluids and getting them contaminated with whatever junk is in the lines, hoses, and filters. I'm sure you knew that already, it was just worded out of order.

Over all I would assume your goal is to ensure the truck runs without wasting money on extra filters, oil, coolant, and lines. With that in mind, always remember to replace everything between point A and B that might contaminate your new fluids.
Yes. I just got ahead of myself. Thanks for all the advice.
I am going to try and tackle this next weekend. I'm excited. I would love to get it running again. Even if it isn't all done up like some others around town it would be sweet to get my childhood truck driving again.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Dad's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Hey Dad's72 ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

As far as your truck goes ...
Thanks. I have been lurking for a while. I figured if I was going to start my project I would need the advice from others who are just as passionate about these trucks as myself to help me along.
Are there any others out there from the Austin, Texas area? Wonder if there are any C10 clubs in the area.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
70cst

Check this area out ...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=53

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #14
cdowns

If you still have the original points disributor i'd file the points and set the gap first b4 doin much else
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's72 View Post
But what do y'all recommend in order to at least get it running.
That's a nice looking truck, worthy of time and investment. The memories of your father can go on for many years after he's gone so fixing it up for keepers is priceless.

However, I think it's a waste of time and money to get it running just to move it to your new home to then do the teardown.

You would either have to risk driving without current tags and insurance, or get current tags and insurance plus all the money you would have to spend getting it running then when you rebuild it you just might have to do over(you said in a year but me and you both know life happens) the gas will probably be stale by then.

I say if you want to get it running to use as a driver, then OK but if just for moving one house to the other you would be better off towing it.

My .02$-make it a driver for now and take my advice, don't tear it down until you have the means of putting it back together.

Best of luck to you young man.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Joesjunk

You might bypass the gas tank by running a rubber fuel line from the fuel pump to a gas can. That way you can at least get it started and running with fresh clean gas. I have done this a bunch of times on ones that were sitting. Good luck. Nice to see you got the truck from your Dad.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Dad's72

I know what you mean. I will probably just get it running and drive it around for a bit in my neighborhood. But I will start my teardown soon. I mainly want to see what condition the motor is in since it was sitting for so long. I don't know why my dad parked it to begin with. I have a friend with a paint and body shop and my wife's cousins have a good paint and body shop so that will be the hook up. I will do all the rest. I can't wait.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:55 AM   #18
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
My .02$-make it a driver for now and take my advice, don't tear it down until you have the means of putting it back together.

Best of luck to you young man.
This is excellent advice! These old trucks gobble up money,time, and space. Don't get to eager beaver to tear it down. Make sure when you do it that you can dedicate the time and resources to finish it up in a somewhat timely fashion.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #19
HSRACER

X2 on the don't be in a rush to tear it down comment. I learned to drive in my grandpas 67 4 speed. When I finally got it I had visions of a complete rebuild. My dad slowed me down and convinced me to just get it running and driving safely. Best decision I ever made as I still have the truck in its original condition. It is fun knowing I am driving the exact truck my grandfather taught me in. Please remember they are only original once. Looking at your pictures it doesn't appear it has to be torn apart to actually use it
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #20
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Any updates on your truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #21
Dad's72

No updates. I took the starter off and got it tested. Good news is the starter is good. The bad news is there was a wire that broke right at the connector and that is what caused it to not engage. I will have to either just add a new connector or replace the whole wire. I'm pretty sure I can just add a new connector. I may be selling the set of original hub caps which will fund my exploration to see what kind of condition the motor is in. I noticed that there was only 46K miles on the truck. I saw an old ticket that my dad had taken it somewhere to have the valves adjusted because of knocking. No specifics. It was just a work ticket. I will get it running very soon. I will update with pictures and maybe a video of it running. Dropping off the carburetor this weekend to get rebuilt.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #22
Ed F

Lots of great advice and plenty more where that came from. The guys on here are very helpful. It is so cool that you have your dads truck. No matter how much time and money goes into a truck you can't buy that kind of history. My only suggestion at his point, because of that history, is don't sell anything. Once your Dads stuff is gone there is no getting it back. Your ideas and plans may change over the coming years so keep everything you have. Label it, box it and put it on a shelf. You will never be glad that you sold it but you might be sorry that you did.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #23
Mike_The_Grad

Read through the thread, was wondering if there were any developments?

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
MagmaJct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Read through the thread, was wondering if there were any developments?
Your resurrection of this thread got me reading it. (I forgot to check the date!)

I too was interested in an update after reading up. I did a back-check of other posts by "Dad's72" and found some that are more up to date.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #25
Mike_The_Grad

For as long as I've been lurking on this site, the thought of looking up posts by members to look for updates,info, etc... has never crossed my mind. Lol. I'm gonna have to remember to try that next time so i dont resurrect a thread from looooong ago.
In all seriousness though, is there a "time frame" for resurrecting an old thread? I've seen a few brought back,over time, that some would say should have been left alone.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote