The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
dubie

Anyone ever make their own headliner w/ speakers

I made a template for the rear curve of the cab so I can make a test headliner that will hold my 2 6 x 9 speakers. Just wondering if anyone has ever built something like this or if you might have a pic saved of one you may have seen.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
ozarkhippie

Build like a overhead console except it mounted above to the rear of the cab in a 81 I had when I was younger. I made it out of plywood and upostered it, and mounted 6x9 in it. kicker boxes had just come out and were expensive.
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #3
kingparts

I know Big Orange has a headliner that holds speakers, I am not sure what size speakers. Maybe he can post a picture of the headliner.
David
Old 01-16-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Aside from not being optimal placement for imaging, speakers that close to your head/ears are not a good idea IMO. My suggestion is put your deck and/or EQ up there, even a monitor ir you get crazy - but keep speakers elsewhere. The best places in our trucks are
1. (high in) the doors - Component set with the tweeters high and the woofers and/or mids as high as you can get them.
2. kick panels - custom ones aimed at you would be best but I'll end up going with the ones gmcpaul sells
3. dash - 2 3" or 4" or a DVC jobbie

I have 6x9s in my lower door panel now. The most economical way would be to get an ambient tweeter setup to add to them and add them high in the door or even surface directional mount near the vent window on the dash. Boston has a real nice setup that can be added to existing speakers to move your image/soundstage.

In a perfect world (someday), I'll have a 3 way component set in my doors, another 2 way set in the custom kickpanels or a pair of 3s or 4s in the dash and a stout sub or two behind/under the seat. I may even just place said 3 ways like so: woofer in door, mid in kick, tweet near vent window.

Wanna get really fancy? (All Boston Pro)
2 12 inch subs behind the seat
2 8 inch midwoofers in lower doors
3-way components (like Boston Pro 6.53)
2 6.5 inch woofers in kickpanel
2 3 inch midrange in upper door, near window crank
2 1 inch tweeters under vent window

You can even add you pair of 3s in the dash just for grins.

It never ends! Stick a 3 way component set, a single 12, a nice eq/crossover, and plenty of clean power (in kinda this order - mcintosh(!), a/d/s, zapco, brax, ppi, phoenix, alpine, etc) and you'll be amazed -- especialy if you dynamat the hell outta the cab.

Man, I went bonkers again . . .
Old 01-16-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I don't know about headliners but I've just this minute finished replacing the cheap 6" Pioneer speakers in my doors as fitted by previous owner, with a pair of JBL 3-way 6x9's. The doors were already cut for these by a previous previous owner and the pioneers were just mounted in some plastic panels over the larger holes. The difference in sound is amazing.

I also have a pair of JBL 2-way 4"s that I'm going to mount in some pods on the kick panels (If I can find some pod's, it seems the supplier that all the audio shops use round here have just discontinued them, the shop owner is going to hunt for some for me tomorrow)

Loud sounds WooHoo!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote