The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
infinite-foamies

71' suburban 4x4

I just bought a 71' three door suburban 4x4. I am building this into a commuter/mild off roader and camping rig. I bought a 4bt cummins and am buying either a dodge 48re or a518 tranny with np-205.
Here she is:

The suburban is solid except for the rockers and has 41k miles on her with the chevy 350 4 bolt main/th350 w/ np-205. Hmm maybe a giant gokart powerplant?

I will be building shelves to hold my camping gear and tools as I often travel so need to be able to support myself and I am thinking of mount four jerry cans on the outside, one for diesel, one for gasoline(2 stroke mix for my model airplanes), and two four potable water. I have a 12v fridge and will probably install an 800w inverter as well as many other items. I am looking for some decent but cheap bucket seats for up front as I need the full length for my model airplanes. It will obviously get a cb with wilson 1000, new head unit(and probably some mild speakers), 12v outlets and 5v usb ports for mobile devices. I have warn premium hubs sitting on the shelf that will go in.

Does anyone know if the stock fuel tank is galvanized? How about where to get a 6 lug rim?

I may add a second fuel tank for extended range and will more than likely add an onboard air compressor since the rear came with bags and I have a thing for air horns. I did not get any keys with her and the ignition cylinder has been 'modified' so I need to get a replacement for that, does chevy use the same key for that and the doors? I am a Ford guy who got a little lost . This is my baby .

All suggestions and opinions are welcome, yes I know what I am doing electrical wise, if I can't do the drivetrain swap myself my father has a shop and my buddy builds sleepers so I have the abilities covered but would love to here from anyone who has done a 4bt swap. I have a thread on 4bt swaps: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...58-71-burb-4BT Also does anyone have experience with the quality of the smoker vent windows from LMC? As I need a driver side. Also the passenger side front door and hatch/tailgate currently do not open. How do I remedy that?

Sorry this is a lot to read.
Yes I know I am crazy as well
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote