The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
drummin89

How should I wire these subs?

I have a Kenwood KAC-9105D amplifier and 2 different sets (2 subs a set) of Pioneer dual voice coil subs. Set 1 has dual 2ohm voice coils and Set 2 has dual 4ohm voice coils.

These are the subs http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...502D2|D4?tab=A

The amp is a mono amp. At 2ohm the watt output is 900 and at 4ohm its 500. The subs are rated for 800watt rms and 3000watt max, same for both sets.

Currently I have sub set 2 wired. I have the voice coils of each sub wired in series to get 8ohms per sub. Then I have the subs wired in parallel to get 4ohms final.

Any other possible ways to wire these subs to the amp? Which subs should I use and how should I wire them?

Heres another question. The subs are rated for 800watt rms and the amp at 2ohms is rated for 900watt rms. Will I without a doubt damage the subs if I wire the subs in a way to get 2ohms final?

I was thinking of putting in sub set 1. I would wire the dual voice coils for each sub in series to get 4ohms per sub, and then wire the subs in parallel to get 2ohms final. But I don't want to do this if I will damage the subs.

Thanks!

I've installed a few basic systems before but never really dealt with multiple dual voice coil subs wired to a mono amp. With all the numbers my head starts spinning after a while.
-Clifford 2/4bbl Aluminum Intake and Headers
-1/2 ton front axle swap w/ 5lug disc brake kit
-CPP Power Steering Kit

Various pictures of my 52 Chevy 3600
drummin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
mongoose

Re: How should I wire these subs?

they will be fine.

though.. it says that amp is one ohm stable... so you can wire the 4 ohm all in parallel and it will be fine..

Last edited by mongoose; 05-17-2010 at 02:34 AM.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
dirtyd_nd

I've always been told not to mix diff ohm subs on the same amp. And honestly I can't remember why. I'm pretty sure it would damage the speakers. But if you wire each speaker so they are all the same ohm and then wire them together, in theory, it would work. Or should I say "in theory in my brain" right now. Let us know how it works.
Dale
dirtyd_nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Brett09

More power will never hurt a sub. Think of having to tow a 10,000 lb trailer walking outside and having a choice between an S10 and a 3500 with a cummins. Will the S10 move it...sure...kind of until it breaks sooner then later. The 3500 will do it all day every day without breaking a sweet. Also you don't start a truck and boom 300hp you have to hit the gas. Same thing with an amp. To make bass you have to move air, to move air you have to move mass. Your voice coil/sub is your engine block. The amp is the pistons, heads, turbos...ect. And the size of the trailer is how much bass you want.

For the first question yes you can run it but one of the subs will be working much harder then the other...basically defeating the purpose of even having a second sub. If there in the same box sharing the same air space then forget about it.

If you have a warranty on the amp, go get a single box and rock one of those subs at 1ohm. If the amp implodes just take it back to the dealer and smile as you walk out with your new one.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote