The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Improbcat

1962 GMC with 1780 original miles!

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5072803915.html

Pics and ad copy:

Quote:
1,780 Actual Miles!!! That's right, ONE THOUSAND, SEVEN HUNDRED EIGHTY original miles. This 1962 GMC was given to me by the original owner, a dear friend and was received as shown. IT IS NOT RESTORED! This unbelievable truck is a garaged stored Nevada, absolutely no rust, original truck. The original owner purchased it new in Elko, Nv. the same day Wal-Mart opened its first store in Rogers, Arkansas. He drove it to to Lake Tahoe for work a few times before parking it in his garage. He started it and kept it cleaned and covered until the 80's when he moved it into a new garage at a new home across town were it has sat until now with 1687 miles on the odometer. The only work needed after soaking the cylinders a few days in oil was a carb kit, fuel pump and fuel lines, it runs like brand new - because it is!. Brake cylinders, master and clutch cylinders were rebuilt and it was driven for 100 miles to round out the flat spots on the original nylon tires. The air in these tires is the same air JFK breathed during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Runs and drives perfect.Everything is factory original except the fuel pump which is NOS Airtex and the battery. You will not find another more perfect original, brand new, un-restored truck like this. This is a true survivor.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
1963c-10

Re: 1962 GMC with 1780 original miles!

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...439322&page=16

Post 395

Great find for sure
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
Pics and ad copy:
Thank you for grabbing those and putting them here for posterity.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Nice truck for sure ... but I dont see $60k

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Nice truck for sure ... but I dont see $60k
Heres his answer to that Chief,

"Jon,
Thank you for your response. I understand losing sleep over this truck. I have done the same. The story of how I received the truck and my personal memories of the 60 -66 GMC are unbelievable. My 90 year old friend from church knew I had a few old cars and operated automotive shops. Almost two years ago he approached me about wanting to give me his old truck. For some reason, I perceived him having an old work truck that was in his yard that needed hauling off or that would be a project truck. I really didn't need another project. Some time later, I went to his house for some church business and saw a 67-72 4X4 in his side yard that definitely was a desirable truck, but was a project. I kind of put him off not wanting to start another project. In recent months, he asked me again and finally one day I told my son we should go look at Bill's truck. We went by his house, Bill wasn't home and the truck that I had seen previously was gone. I felt I had probably procrastiniated too long and BIll found another person more deserving. A few weeks later I approached Bill at church and and told him that I went by and saw the truck gone and hoped he found a good home for it. He looked at me kind of funny and said "No Steve, that was not the truck I wanted you to look at, the one I want you to have is still in the garage". So I agreed that I would make it it a point to come look at it soon. A couple of Friday's later, I called Bill to see if he was home and he said for me to come over. After a few minutes of visiting with he and his wife, he walked me through the house to the door that led to the attached garage. Beyond his current driver sedan, I could see the left rear quarter panel of the partially covered truck that was backed in to the space and immediatly recognized it an early 60's fleetside. As we approached it I could see that the paint appeared brand new. I asked Bill if he recently had it repainted, he said "no, it was the original paint" As we walked around the front, I saw the V6 emblem on the side of the hood and a rush of memories overcame me. My grandfather had taught me to drive when I was around 14 in a 66 GMC that I later inherited. As I opened the hood, I saw the fresh paint on the motor and asked if he had recently had it rebuilt and he responded the same as before, "no, it was the original engine". The way the truck was parked, I couldn't open the drivers door, but I could open the passenger door and saw the immaculate interior. The seat had an Indian cover blanket and I pulled it back and asked Bill if anyone had ever sat in the passenger seat and this time he just laughed. I still hadn't looked at the odometer. We walked around the back and I asked the same type of question about the bed, if he ever used it and he responed he had built the sideboards for it but could remember hauling anything.
We talked for a while, he showed me the paperwork and we made arangements to have it towed over to my shop the following Monday. Monday afternoon, I arrive at my shop as the truck had just rolled off the flatbed, I was able to open the drivers door I was floored as I looked at the odometer. I immediatley began inspecting the normal wear areas to see if the odo. had rolled. The door strikers, pedal rubbers, door window felts, e-brake and cable were all like brand new. This was original mileage. I called Bill to let him know the truck had arrived safely and that I had a few questions form him. He shared that the year he purchased this truck his mother had passed away and he had a couple of her vehicle to drive so he parked this one. Later he joined a Gem and Rock club so he purchased another truck with 4wd, so this one sat in the garage. I rinsed the dust off the truck, towel dried it and we pushed it into our shop. The pictures with the side boards are form the first day it had been out of it's garage in over 25 years. After we soaked the engine, fired it up and repaired the necessary hydraulics, I took it for a spin. The sound, the smell and the feel was exactly how I remembered my Grandfathers truck. I logged alot of miles in that 66, the muscle memory and senses tearfully took me back almost 50 years. I had originally intended to keep this truck, it was a gift. However, I really do not enjoy collecting for collecting sake. I like to drive and enjoy my vehicles. It would ruin the value of this truck to add miles so I've been in a dilemma (losing sleep). I spoke with my friend Bill and he won't take any money so I suggested that we sell the truck and make a large donation to our Spiritual Center in his name.

Long answer to your short question. I have an online appraisal from pictures sent to a Barret Jackson appraiser for 40K. We have a Barret Jackson auction coming up in Reno for Hot August nights. I beleive that the condition and desirability of this truck will drive the auction price up over my current reserve of $55K on eBay. If it doesn't sell before August, I expect to net close to 50K after auction fees. You and another collector from the mid-west have shown equal interest at this time. Knowing what I have shared, you are welcome to make an offer. Thanks for your interest."
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

That is one neat truck. Has quite a neat history behind it to. I hope whoever buys it doesn't screw it up.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
LT1 Burb

I would rather have this one at 45-55K then one of the Lambrecht ones for 25 that needed a complete restoration, therefore losing its originality.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Im glad to know now where the money is headed !!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I would rather have this one at 45-55K then one of the Lambrecht ones for 25 that needed a complete restoration, therefore losing its originality.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Only original once.

Its nice to see some of these original low mileage trucks coming out. Draws a lot of attention to our trucks as well. May even help our values in the long run which is nice as long as the OEM/NOS parts don't go completely outrageous in the process.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
MikeN

I'm not up to speed on GMC's. Is that the original dash?
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
HOTFUN

At least this truck has survived getting out of it's original time capsule spot unscathed and at this point, probably will head to a good home that will appreciate it in it's preservation class condition and value. These gems so often in these cases get left in an inheritance to a incapable relative or through some local estate auction only to be abused and raped in the transfers. I can also attest to the Lambrecht vehicles abuse like the 1.3 mile Cameo having factory decals stolen at the auction and and all the door slamming and climbing in and out by lookers. This GMC appears to be one of the finest examples of a factory preserved vehicle of the early 1960's that I have seen. If Jon doesn't own this very soon then yes, it probably should go to BJ for the top dollar charity bid.
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
oem4me

This truck should bring the serious players out. The chances of a repeat find are slim at best, so it may be this is the ONE opportunity to own the best preserved 60-66 truck in the world. As I recently stated in the "most original" thread, for some it's far easier to come up with the money than it is to find a truck in similar shape.
So, let's say you've done well for yourself and could swing the price, next you must ask if this is really the truck you want. I mean, if it were an optioned out big window Chevy, with an automatic, all the trim and A/C, then the decision might be easier, that is, if you are after what everybody else wants. At $60k though, the goofy dock bumper, plain sides, manual trans, and GMC badging might give pause to the notion that this is the one to have.
Some could see all that as positive in that those things make it different or unique, but it's the mass mentality that creates demand and ultimately determines value.
I think one thing is obvious here. This truck is too nice and too costly to get screwed up. There's just no way someone is going to spend what it takes to own it, then mess it all up by modifying it. I think it's safe.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
1963c-10

I think it'll end up in either an automotive museum or a private collection in the long run.

Wouldn't surprise me if the GM Heritage Center might not show an interest in it.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 06-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
This truck should bring the serious players out. The chances of a repeat find are slim at best, so it may be this is the ONE opportunity to own the best preserved 60-66 truck in the world. As I recently stated in the "most original" thread, for some it's far easier to come up with the money than it is to find a truck in similar shape.
So, let's say you've done well for yourself and could swing the price, next you must ask if this is really the truck you want. I mean, if it were an optioned out big window Chevy, with an automatic, all the trim and A/C, then the decision might be easier, that is, if you are after what everybody else wants. At $60k though, the goofy dock bumper, plain sides, manual trans, and GMC badging might give pause to the notion that this is the one to have.
Some could see all that as positive in that those things make it different or unique, but it's the mass mentality that creates demand and ultimately determines value.
I think one thing is obvious here. This truck is too nice and too costly to get screwed up. There's just no way someone is going to spend what it takes to own it, then mess it all up by modifying it. I think it's safe.

I think people really don't understand what it takes to do a complete OEM restoration, to not even this quality. I did my suburban as a custom and it was easy, pick up the summit catalog, order an airbag kit etc. My 65 shortwide which I am trying to keep as OEM as possible is 10X harder to do. I can't just go to the bolt bin and pick out a 5/16 grade 5 bolt ,because it doesn't have the correct markings. Try finding NOS parts as many here in my boat can attest to, you can have all the money in the world but if you can't find an NOS rubber floor mat what good does it do you. I will never again do a restoration to this quality, it is to hard and to expensive. I have scoured ebay everyday for 10 years looking for correct stuff, its not available. Add in the 25-30K just for the truck and parts, the hundreds of hours of searching for parts and doing the work , and I wouldn't even consider selling it for 50K. You could not reproduce it for that. If anyone disagrees go by a truck full of NOS parts and call me a liar.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
yote1234

WOW! WOW! WOW! That's an awesome find, and great story as well. I would have a hard time selling that one! I would like to sit in it just once to get the feel! and smell! of an original low mile unrestored truck !!!!
that's a one in a million find.

dave
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey

Last edited by yote1234; 06-17-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
1963c-10

Would be great if a forum member purchased it and we could get tons of info from the truck.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 06-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
bigwin59

That looks like my grandpa's truck. He lived in Jerome Idaho. This one is in better shape though. I learned how to drive a stick with my grandpa in his 63. I thought my uncle had it still on the ranch. After asking my mom about it found out my grandpa sold it to a guy that had been asking about it. I sure hope who ever bought it is taking care of it. The memoirs came flooding back when I saw these pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device
bigwin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
1976gmc20

Nice truck - now all it needs is lowering and rimz and a big azz vee-eight - HA! Just being sarcastic, but I'm afraid somebody might actually do that.

The under hood pictures remind me of my old 65 GMC C-50. Those engines were almost like two straight threes because the intake and water yoke sit up above the top of the engine and you don't have to pull the "dizzy" to remove one or both heads. I had mine apart one time (for valve work, again...) and thought I should replace that really short hose between the water pump and the "yoke" between the heads. Some gal at the part store asserted there was no such thing as a 3" long radiator hose from the factory and that I was "jury-rigging"

In the pictures above, the hose and clamps are painted red along with the rest of the engine.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #19
wjjeeper

I wonder how much a guy could recover from the purchase price if you parted it out.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
jbgroby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
I'm not up to speed on GMC's. Is that the original dash?
Yes, in all it's glory!
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #21
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post

In the pictures above, the hose and clamps are painted red along with the rest of the engine.
Yes, since that hose would be installed at the engine assembly plant (as opposed to the radiator and heater hoses, for example, which would be installed at the final vehicle assembly location).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #22
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yes, since that hose would be installed at the engine assembly plant (as opposed to the radiator and heater hoses, for example, which would be installed at the final vehicle assembly location).

K
Yeah, mine had been "rebuilt" before I got it so somewhere along the way must have had the short hose changed.

Whoever "rebuilt" the engine didn't replace the valves but instead ground them down to a razor edge. Of course those old V6s were pretty hard on the center exhaust valve anyway so you can figure what happened...

First time, I was in a hurry (in the middle of moving state to state!) and only did one head. Of course a few years later I had to do the other one, and at that time I decided to replace that short hose since it was apart. But it really was pretty easy to do that way. I think I could pop a head off in about 40 minutes. I liked the way that the intake manifold just stood on top and was separate from the top of the engine.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #23
factorystock

Its a real treat when a time capsule truck shows up, one that has been garaged since new and preserved in all its original glory. How often do you get a chance to see something that still looks the way it did 50 years ago? Finding large detailed color photos of these trucks when new is impossible, most sales brochures were cheap, full of drawings and artists renditions. I would have liked to have seen a clearer shot of the front end, in the sunlight, to see the blacked out area behind grill and blacked out area in center area of hood scoop.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #24
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
IMO, this caliber of vehicle will not be bought to be driven, so comfort and convienence optons will not come into play for buyers in this market. This is a museum piece or serious private collection piece. It will like purchasing a famous painting. It will be enjoyed as a piece of artwork. The super rare "time capsule experience" is what is being sold here.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #25
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I think people really don't understand what it takes to do a complete OEM restoration, to not even this quality. I did my suburban as a custom and it was easy, pick up the summit catalog, order an airbag kit etc. My 65 shortwide which I am trying to keep as OEM as possible is 10X harder to do. I can't just go to the bolt bin and pick out a 5/16 grade 5 bolt ,because it doesn't have the correct markings. Try finding NOS parts as many here in my boat can attest to, you can have all the money in the world but if you can't find an NOS rubber floor mat what good does it do you. I will never again do a restoration to this quality, it is to hard and to expensive. I have scoured ebay everyday for 10 years looking for correct stuff, its not available. Add in the 25-30K just for the truck and parts, the hundreds of hours of searching for parts and doing the work , and I wouldn't even consider selling it for 50K. You could not reproduce it for that. If anyone disagrees go by a truck full of NOS parts and call me a liar.
I agree with you 100%. It is very difficult, at best, to accurately restore a vehicle 50 years after they were built. Aftermarket support and GM is hit and miss, mostly miss. Will still don't have '60-'66 engine colors in a spray can!