The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Paul Y

Front Springs - Anybody got the free heights?

So,

Asked this question a while back but didn't get the answer I wanted because I probably asked the wrong question!

Does anybody have a link to the free height of the various lowering springs available? Tried the search function here and my best GoogleFoo but come up with nowt.

Reason. Woody came with with a set of lowering springs that had a further number of coils lopped off for good measure.

With my dropped spindles I need to raise the front an inch and in order to do that I need to establish the free heigh of the various springs as I don't have an accurate datum point from the ones already in use.

To give you an idea of where I currently am have a picture.

Over too you.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Paul Y

Re: Front Springs - Anybody got the free heights?

Little Bumpet as need to order springs but dont know what to order!

P.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Would the static drop thread help with the spring drop your looking for?: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=328048
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

This is almost impossible to figure out as free length has nothing to do with spring rate. I have have two springs that are the same free length but one is 450 lbs. rate and the other is 550 lbs. rate. The will sit at different heights with the same weight placed on them. Cut springs are even harder as whatever the original rate was, when you cut them the spring rate goes up. Nailing an existing ride height is not an easy task when replacing unknown springs.

Good luck.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
Paul Y

Thanks guys. Let me put this another way.

What is the free length of a 2" dropped spring, a 4" dropped spring and a 5" dropped spring.

If I have this information I can work out, from my existing cut spring, what I need to order in order to get me in the ball park.

If it turns out that a 5" spring is 10' uncompressed then that is not the right spring for me. But! if a 4" spring is 12" uncompressed then I can use that to fine tune my ride height.

Understand about spring rates, but as Woody is supposedly fitted with CPP springs (cut) once I have the free height measurements I can use the coil stack distance and diameter of the coil wire to help me narrow down my selection.

So, to ask the question again in a slightly different way, does anybody know the uncompressed spring height of CPP's front lowered springs?

Thanks again.

P.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
62stepside longbox

What I would do is measure with a measuring tape the distance from the ground to the fender lip on both sides and figure out what the height is. Then figure out how much higher or lower you want it. Then you will have to look around on the static drop thread and pm the members and ask them what the measurement from the fender lip to the ground is and what they are using for springs and spindles. You will then be able to get an idea what springs you need to order. Remember to take engine weight and tire and wheel size into account.
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote