The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Gyva

Clutch Question (what else needs adjusting?)

Ok I tryed to move my 71 Jimmy today for the first time. Its got the standard 4 speed in it and when I threw it all together it felt loose so I extended the bar all the way that connects to the tranny, it has a big wing nut lookin thing on it. Anyways when I tryed to move my truck I found out my clutch is not all the way pushed in when I push it all the way in. I slammed it in reverse thinking the tranny was sticking and woom! away backwards I went lol with the clutch pushed in..... This is my first clutch I've worked on and before I dropped the motor in I installed a new clutch plate... where else can I do adjusting to get this thing to dis-engage.... thanks guys I know this is a basic question

Mike...
Gyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Gyva

My chiltons just said to adjust my Fork Rod, My fork rod is almost maxed out maybe another 1/4 of thread and thats it.... I'll max it out then see what happens... Also I notice on my fork I have 2 slots for the fork rod to go in... one is closer to the tranny one is on the end, right now my rod is in the end one,,,,, would moving this to the inside hole give me more disengageing? thanks...

Mike...
Gyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
bpmcgee

Mike,

Yes, by moving the contact point closer to the transmission you'd get more clutch movement (but harder pressing). There is also some adjustment that you can gain in the upper pushrod if I recall correctly.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
Blazer1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee
Mike,

Yes, by moving the contact point closer to the transmission you'd get more clutch movement (but harder pressing). There is also some adjustment that you can gain in the upper pushrod if I recall correctly.

Brian

Nope, the only adjustment is in the lower rod under the truck. Moving to the inner hole in the fork will help a little. Are you sure you had the correct throwout bearing? There are two styles, and one is shorter than the other. Was it identical to the one that came out? Did the clutch work properly before you took it apart? I had this probem with my truck, and it was caused by a lot of wear in the clutch linkage and deflection (bending) of the rod that goes through the firewall. I had to weld gussets to that rod to stiffen it. There is barely enough throw in this mechanism to operate the clutch under ideal conditions, so everything has to be in good shape especially with a new clutch disc.