The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
BOHICA-Chevy68

4L60E or 200-4R, full drive train swap.

So here is the dilemma, I have a 67 that I am doing a frame up on. Its going to be our (my wife and I) weekend worrier, "how" truck. Its not going to be original by any means. We're going to do a very subtle chop on the top, shave the drip rails, shave the doors, disk brakes, rack and pinion, and some other fun stuff. For the engine I was given a 94 chevy 1500 for $0. Its complete from the front bumper to the back and comes with a 350 and a 4L60E transmission. I also have a spare 200-4r sitting that I was thinking of rebuilding for it as well, but beefing it up of course. Now the truck has the wiring harness and computer and every nut and bolt on it, the frame was cracked from it being loaded and hitting a nice bump. So are their any other benefits to the 200 besides the first gear and straight length swap? I know that the 4L60E is longer and will require a drive shaft job on it. What would you all do if you were presented with the option. Keep in mind I have both transmissions and a complete drivetrain, that was free so I the budget can shift a bit to the rebuilds of the transmissions for strength.
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
luvbowties

Smile Re: 4L60E or 200-4R, full drive train swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA-Chevy68 View Post
So here is the dilemma, I have a 67 that I am doing a frame up on. Its going to be our (my wife and I) weekend worrier, "how" truck. Its not going to be original by any means. We're going to do a very subtle chop on the top, shave the drip rails, shave the doors, disk brakes, rack and pinion, and some other fun stuff. For the engine I was given a 94 chevy 1500 for $0. Its complete from the front bumper to the back and comes with a 350 and a 4L60E transmission. I also have a spare 200-4r sitting that I was thinking of rebuilding for it as well, but beefing it up of course. Now the truck has the wiring harness and computer and every nut and bolt on it, the frame was cracked from it being loaded and hitting a nice bump. So are their any other benefits to the 200 besides the first gear and straight length swap? I know that the 4L60E is longer and will require a drive shaft job on it. What would you all do if you were presented with the option. Keep in mind I have both transmissions and a complete drivetrain, that was free so I the budget can shift a bit to the rebuilds of the transmissions for strength.
If you're gonna keep the fuel injection-and-computer, by all means go with the 4L60E. It will shift more nearly properly "out of the box", meaning no constantly changing governor springs, weights, and linkage adjustments.

Talk to tranny guys who install 700R4's(similar work involved as 2004R's) and 4L60E's for clients, & I think they will tell you, hands down, the 4L60E is by far less troublesome and make for happier clients.

I've done both in my personal vehicles, and by far prefer the 4L60E. That word personal goes for opinion, as well! YMMV.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
b.eddy's72

Re: 4L60E or 200-4R, full drive train swap.

4L60 by all means. You have it all and the computer and wire harness use it. The drive shaft is a simple fix.

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote