The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
Aaronoregon

Wheel adapters for S10 hub to old chevy wheels?

I found 2" wide 5x4.75 to 6x5.5 adapters on eBay, but the 6 lug sizes are 14mm and the old chevy wheels I believe are 7/16". Anyone ever done this? I guess I could buy them and turn them down on a mill huh? Anyone got any better ideas? I already have the old steelie wheels with big white wall Cokers that were on it before the frame swap and want to keep the look. Thanks!
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Wheel adapters for S10 hub to old chevy wheels?

Most likely you can find 7/16 lug bolts with the same shank as the 14 mm ones have.

Unless they used 14 mm bolts threaded in from the back side.

I'm not a fan of adapters but you might ask these guys what size studs this set has http://billetwheeladapters.com/wheel...5-2-thick.html That's for one spacer though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:07 AM   #3
joedoh

for a little more than what the adapters cost you could probably buy vintage looking brand new wheels with the right pattern from http://thewheelsmith.net/

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Aaronoregon

So I did some measuring and found out that 14mm is only 1/8th inch bigger or a 1/16th all the way around. I will just drill out the holes slightly bigger in the wheels with a 9/16" bit and these should work just fine.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
mr48chev

You may not need to clearance them by much to get them to fit.

I contacted the outfit that I posted the link to and theirs are 14 mm too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
dsraven

Remember that wheel spacers will make the steering axle wheels rotate in an arc as you turn. The more offset the bigger the arc. By this I mean if the vehicle is sitting still and you turn the steering, lock to lock, the tire contact patch with the ground is not going to be in the same spot through the whole process. It will be an arc. be sure to check that they don't rub on anything. Also spacers will affect the driving/ steering geometry so be careful until you have driven it for a bit and have learned it's idiosyncrasies.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #7
Aaronoregon

I've used many sets over the years and have never had any issues you speak of. They work great and have come a long ways in the last few years.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #8
dsraven

I agree, wheel adaptors have come a long ways over the years but that doesn't mean that they don't change the steering geometry.
if you draw a line through the upper and lower ball joints and intersect it with the ground, the center contact patch of your tire should be at the same place roughly. The steering spindle shape, tire diameter and original wheel offset were made to do that. When different offset wheels or spacers/adapters are used then the contact patch of the tire moves outward from that original point. So it makes sense to say that if the original tire contact area was in the right spot the tire would pivot on that spot as the steering is turned. Now if spacers/adapters are placed behind the wheel then the tire contact patch will be further outward so as the steering is turned the contact patch will move in an arc. The size of the arc will be larger with a thicker spacer/adapter. To bring things back to normal a different offset wheel could be used.the same geometry theory can be used when smaller or larger diameter tires/wheels are used.because the upper and lower ball joints are not typically vertically in line with each other the imaginary line drawn through them is at an angle to the vertical line drawn through the centre line of the tire. In order for these lines to intersect at the ground level and become the tire contact patch area the tire needs to be a certain diameter.these are factored in at the engineering phase when a steering system is developed. If the tire size or wheel offset is changed then there will be a corresponding change in steering characteristics. Google steering geometry for a way better description and pics. The upper and lower control arms are usually a different length as well to help keep the tire more vertical with body roll during cornering and to keep the tires from rubbing as they go up into the fender during suspension travel.
I was just saying to make sure you check for problems with rubbing and changes in steering characteristics. Sorry for the long winded blurb.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Coupeguy2001

wheel spacers work . Besides people who change the offset on their wheels to fill up the wheel wells accomplish the same thing as putting wheel spacers on the axles. they push the wheels away from the kingpin or spindle centers.
People have been doing the wheel thing for 50 years.

Of course you know my next thing to tell you is that I have spacers on my truck........
and because I have had my truck for only 45 years, SOMEBODY had to do it before me......hence the 50!

Somewhere in the Chevy engineering dept. bean counter arena, there is a guy that probably thought he could save the General a couple million dollars, and used spindles from another application.
You might just try tracking down an interchange application manual that would give you dimensions for spindles. There has got to be a spindle that uses the hubs from 62-66 chevy trucks that might fit. Then there has to be a interchange manual that would allow you to use the metric spindle with early 6 lug rotors. Try going through the Speedway Motors catalogs. They have about 6 catalogs from racing to cruising.

The problem as I see it, is that if you put spacers on your truck, you will have to find relatively expensive wheels with the correct offset to use the spacers. The wheels you already have wouldn't work. But you would be able to find some steelies that would. Check some of the car magazines when you go to the market next time, and check out the ads in the back of the magazines and email some of those companies about your needs and see if they can give you a price. Also go on craigslist in various parts of the country and see if there are any for sale. It's a lot of time, but that would save you the most money on what you gotta have. Anyway, there's a few options for you.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 01-28-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Aaronoregon

The spacers actually worked great and placed the wheels just perfect in the fender wells. Didn't even need drilling out. The wheels dropped right on the old 6 lug steelies. Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
dsraven

it didn't really happen if there are no pics, haha
Old 02-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Aaronoregon

Still have to get center caps, but here you go............

About 1" between tire and fender. I rolled the inner lip on both rear fenders.

Oh, and just for fun!

Last edited by Aaronoregon; 02-07-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
dsraven

now I hear ya, nice tires too. looks like good ork you've done there.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 AM   #14
dsraven

please place the "w" accordingly, sorry man.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #15
Aaronoregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
please place the "w" accordingly, sorry man.
No worries......