The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
swey00

Question headers

Do the tbss headers(not stock manifolds) fit on a 4wd 72 blazer? I am putting a ls3 in it, so I would like something that breathes a little better than stock.
thanks
swey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: headers

The headers for a TBSS are fairly large, and the angle which they exit the engine bay wouldn't work based on my experience. The biggest problems with clearance in these swaps is the slope, or how far "down" they go before they head "out".

The reason the TBSS stock manifolds work is that the log-style design means you don't have the girth of 4 indiviudal primaries, which is what tends to interfere with the motor mounts.

Doug Thorley has swap headers for most of your applications. They are $$ but one of the only made-to-fit options.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
swey00

Well, I have read several different people on here have used the headers also. Problem is, I'm pretty sure they were all 2wd. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and 4wd.

With the Doug Thorleys, the ones I would want only come in 1 5/8. That would not be good enough for a cammed ls3(and possibly FI later on), so 1 3/4 is at the very least what I would want and thats what the tbss mostly come in.
thanks
swey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

While I can't comment directly on fitting anything into a 4x4 swap, I'm more than comfortable on 2wd swaps, and your working with even less room.

The DT 1-3/4 is the largest header that I've seen anyone run on a swap truck that wasn't a)built from scratch or largely modified from a custom header setup b)over $1200.

There aren't 2" primary headers that will easily fit, and there really aren't a ton of 2" primary headers around in general. We've got multiple 5-7-900+hp cars running 1-3/4 or less...thats single digit cars. 4x 2" pipes is 8" with no room in between, its hard to convey just how much room they take up under hood.

If you wanna go turbo down the road, then cast manifolds are better to easily convert.

Just for sh!ts, open a picture of the TBSS cast manifold and then overlay a picture of the TBSS big-tube headers. The #1 primary will hit the engine stand or the frame rail before it comes "back" far enough to tuck in. You also have the steering shaft clearance to consider. If you use a slider mount, you may be able to offset the engine far enough to come close to tucking that pipe, but it may place the engine in a less-than-ideal location.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
engairuph

I have a 69 suburban 4wd and exhaust is the biggest thing. I'm looking for something to huge the engine better and so far the Camaro 98-99 seems to be the closest and have a 2 1/2" flange and keeps from grinding on my frame. Don't care for long tube headers since I have a PTO shaft and shift linkage in the way. Fixing to try a LS1 manifold this week to see what happens.

69 4x4 Suburban PTO winch(NAVY)
13 GMC Ext cab
12 Ford Fusion SE(wife)

MAI
Interior shop
engairuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
71chevystep4x4

Hooker block hugger shorties #2312 $250
71chevystep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote