The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
2wd73blazer

How hard is it to hook up hydroboost brakes?

I have a 3500 with hydroboost brakes that I am putting a lq9 in. How hard is it to get hooked up and working right?
2wd73blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: How hard is it to hook up hydroboost brakes?

Its pretty easy to put in place, the only difficult parts are; making custom lines (if you don't want to adapt a stock style line), and fine tuning the relationship with the steering/brakes/engine.

The thing I've seen the most is issues related to the sensitivity of the steering. Its correctable, but identifying the exact problem is the tricky part. When you start combining different types of hydraulic fluid pumps and orifices, its hard to know what "correct" feels like...if that makes any sense.

Also, its worth telling your tuner that you'll be running HB, as there is a much higher static load on the engine and you can actually stall yourself out from the drag in the correct situation (deceleration from an off ramp, or turning while braking are the two where I see it happen). Easily fixable, but annoying and scary the first time it happens.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
LeesTruk

Is the steering pump the cause of the sensitivity, or maybe a restriction needed in the hydraboost return line?
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesTruk View Post
Is the steering pump the cause of the sensitivity, or maybe a restriction needed in the hydraboost return line?
We have another ongoing thread in another section on the topic. There are residual pressure valves and a fluid orifice, and the issue is finding the right combination of that, and the gear itself. The feel with the gear will always be a little different than the rack n pinion, but it should be close enough.

Mine is plenty useable, but admittadly a bit touchy when you consider I only run a 13" steering wheel. Its one of the things I'm working on this summer.

Oh, and running a line lock makes it even weirder because its an artificial dead-head to the fluid and can generate heat if your not careful.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote