The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

Powder coating question!

I need a little advice on if I should powder coat my original 1970 rims or just get new ones? I was wanting to do the powder coating to last me a few years untill I have the time and resources to totaly rebuild the truck and get new rims and tires.

My only real question is will the powder coating hold up from wear and tear? The tire installation guys seem to be pretty hard on the rim edges, I was wondering if I go out and pay for my rims to be stripped and coated, will I be sorry? Will the first time the rubber is installed the edges get all dinged and scratched up?

What about the lug nuts? Is it worth having the lugs nuts done to match the rim or will the first time I use a ratchet, the powder coating chip off?

I have no clue how durable this stuff is and would like some opinions from others that might have done something similar.

And finaly I am considering the original white or some type of silver/chrome powder coating. Any suggestions or opinions on the color I go with? I do not plan to take the truck off-roading so I wont be scrubbing that much mud out of the rims. Just the daily buildup of grime.

Oh and pricing, in case that matters. Here in OKC I found someone who will strip the rims for $ 18.00 a piece and a powder coating shop who will coat them for $ 25.00 a piece. New rims would run $ 120-140 a piece.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Sooner1970_K10; 02-09-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote