The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
LordDevlin

Shortening front shackles?

Been working on my truck all winter, had to go through everything mechanical, now getting to what I find to be more of the fun stuff, the overall look of the truck. I have been looking at all my options for simple lowering, meaning simply modifying or upgrading the stock set up. I have been looking at a dropped axle and lowering springs. I would like to avoid the dropped axle but I worry that I can't get it low enough with just lowering springs. My father mentioned the idea of maybe getting an extra bit of drop by using shorter front shackles.

Has anyone shortened their front shackles to get a bit more drop? I know its possible, heck anything is really, but would it much of a difference or would it screw anything up?

I have searched plenty for an answer for this but of course I have only come across refurbishing the original ones or using rear lowering shackles.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone experimented to determine which leaf removal procedure/sequence from the original spring pack provides the best drop without sacrificing much in terms of safety?

Thanks folks.
LordDevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Shortening front shackles?

I'm not sure about shortening the shackle but how about using a shorter fixed end mount? I know the end mounts hang down about 6" & there are mounts for streetrods that put the eye up much closer to the frame. It may impact the caster angle, but just a thought.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
gale

The purpose of the shackle is not to raise or lower the truck. The shackle provides room for the leaf spring to grow longer as it flattens.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
LordDevlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
The purpose of the shackle is not to raise or lower the truck. The shackle provides room for the leaf spring to grow longer as it flattens.
HI Gale,

yes, much like the rear shackles, i realize that they are there to allow the spings to lenthen as they flatten. However, I know that ppl modify the rear for lowering with longer shackles so I was considering a similar option (but the opposite) on the front and wondered if it had been done.

With the engine and everything in, when i put a bunch of extra weight on the front of the truck, there doesnt seem to be a need for the full range of the shackle the way it is... meaning the shackle never gets even close to being horizontal to the point where it would be hitting the frame. Just seems like a shorter shackle could still do the trick and would get me a bit lower.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
buggy5872

I really do not think you will gain that much with shorter shackles. What you might end up with is the geometry of the steering being messed up. I think a drop axle is the best option for lowering a stock suspension.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
whitedog76

Shortening your shackle will decrease the effectivness of your springs. It won't allow your springs to fully cylce. Ride quality would be terrible.

On a solid axle setup, You're caster angle will change. By the time you shim out the axle to fix the caster problem, You're back to square one, probably no change in height period.

If you want a lowered truck, look into a drop axle or drop springs. I wouldn't go more than a couple inches with the springs though, otherwise you'll have bad bump steer.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDevlin View Post
HI Gale,
With the engine and everything in, when i put a bunch of extra weight on the front of the truck, there doesnt seem to be a need for the full range of the shackle the way it is... meaning the shackle never gets even close to being horizontal to the point where it would be hitting the frame. Just seems like a shorter shackle could still do the trick and would get me a bit lower.
I would find another way if you feel like it just has to be lowered. If you hit a minor speed bump going a little too fast you will probably kink or break a spring.

Surely someone sells dropped spindles?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
LordDevlin

Quote:
I would find another way if you feel like it just has to be lowered. If you hit a minor speed bump going a little too fast you will probably kink or break a spring.

Surely someone sells dropped spindles?
the 2nd series trucks dont have spindles.

I have been looking at all the solid beam options.... dropped axle, mono or lowered leaf springs... or perhaps a combination.

was planning on doing the dropped axle with some lowered springs, but we've been putting so much work into this truck that we hadnt planned on so I thought I could do something that required less effort instead. I worry that the atual approx 2.5" drop that the posies dual flex advertise as just wont be enough to satisfy my taste, and then of course there are concerns with the monos...

the reason I have also questioned the dropped axle is the clearance that I wil be left with. I will at times be on terrain other than a paved road, like at the cottage, and worry about running the dropped axle into something as it will be pretty low. Anybody have any advice on this that may ease my mind?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
mr48chev

You can get an inch or so by reversing the eyes on the main leaves of the springs which would gain as much as you could by shortening the shackles which I don't think is a good idea. shortening the rear stands for the springs is out as that will throw your caster angle off so far no caster wedge will correct it.
Reversed spring eyes are a very common lowering mod for the Ford guys with transverse leaf springs like the Model A and up through 48 Ford cars had.

The process of reversing the eyes of the spring is that you take the leaves apart and lay the main leaf on something and mark the arch and then you reverse the arch so that the eyes are pointing down when the spring is reassembled effective lowering the truck the difference of the location of the leaf where it goes into the eye. That process is probably best left to a spring shop. You can do it in a press with a fixture made to do it or you can do it with a sledge hammer and anvil but to a spring shop it is just a normal day's job of re-arching a set of leaf springs. You can have them take some of the arch out of the rest of the leaves at the same time to get a bit more drop.

You most likely would have to radius the lead edge of the spring mount to clear the reversed spring as the clearance isn't too good as it is.
This is a rear stand as my frame has had the fronts removed already.
Once you go to put the springs in it is pretty well self explanatory.

The guys and gals are flat tired of seeing my photos of my sagging springs that I removed leaves from to lower my truck in 1988 so I won't go into that and just say that while it is quick and nasty it isn't a good idea.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
mr48chev

Your truck does have spindles, they are mounted on each end of the axle on the king pins so the wheels will turn. The thing is that no one makes or sells dropped spindles for this setup. I've seen some shaky home remedy dropped spindles in the past but don't suggest trying that nor will I even explain how they did it as it really isn't all that safe.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
LordDevlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Your truck does have spindles, they are mounted on each end of the axle on the king pins so the wheels will turn. The thing is that no one makes or sells dropped spindles for this setup. I've seen some shaky home remedy dropped spindles in the past but don't suggest trying that nor will I even explain how they did it as it really isn't all that safe.
yes you are absolutely correct, I wasnt clear, i left out the word dropped in that statement, meaning dropped spindles arent available.

in terms of the idea about reversing the eye, I think that along with a couple leafs removed might to the trick on the short term until i decide how I would like to proceed.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
MARTINSR

I have a dropped axle that Speedway use to sell for these trucks, it's got a tubing center with forged ends, it's a 3" drop I believe. I am embarrassed to say that I have told someone else on this forum about it and was going to weigh it to see how much it would cost to ship and forgotten about it twice! Anyway, it's for sale and I think I WILL write a note right now and find out how much this thing weighs. It looks like this only it's for the 55-59

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1947-5...Axle,5842.html

On the shortening of the shackles DO NOT do this for the reasons mentioned. But also because it won't lower it any noticeable amount. Remember, this spring is about 4" long, with the axle mounted about half way. So, if you were to shorten the shackle 1" you are going to effectively lower it only about 1/2"! So obviously it's not worth it even if it worked.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
LordDevlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
yes you are absolutely correct, I wasnt clear, i left out the word dropped in that statement, meaning dropped spindles arent available.

in terms of the idea about reversing the eye, I think that along with a couple leafs removed might to the trick on the short term until i decide how I would like to proceed.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
MARTINSR

Quote:

I removed leaves to lower mine years ago, it handled and drove like crap. When I drove a nicely lowered truck of a cow worker of mine with a dropped axle and lowering blocks out back I couldn't believe how nice it drove!

There are lowering springs available too. But believe me removing leaves is going to lower it a bit but you will pay dearly in handling. And then all the thoughts of sub frames and S-10 frames and all that crap will jump into your head when lowering it properly would give you a wonderful ride and handling without the need for cutting up your truck for nothing.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
gale

Quote:
the 2nd series trucks dont have spindles.
All trucks have spindles. Are you sure you know what a spindle is?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #16
LordDevlin

Quote:

Quote:
All trucks have spindles. Are you sure you know what a spindle is?
Yes Gale I do lol.... I clarified the statement I made in a different post.. I meant that the dropped spindles arent available for 2nd series trucks.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
gale

I should have been more clear also. I meant "dropped axle" because it would really be difficult to drop the spindle.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
dubie

I have mine lowered 6" with a dropped axle and mono leafs. To avoid a lot of cost, you flip the front and rear axle on top of the leafs.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
LordDevlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
I have mine lowered 6" with a dropped axle and mono leafs. To avoid a lot of cost, you flip the front and rear axle on top of the leafs.
Hi Dubie, as you can see I am still trying to figure out my lowering method. I have read about flipping the axle, but in the front it doesn't seem to be a viable solution from what I can tell. I dont want to have to notch the frame and I have read that there wouldnt be enough clearance in the front without one.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
dubie

You're right, you would have to notch the frame both front and rear to accomplish this. What exactly do you want to use the truck for once it's lowered?

Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
mr48chev

Flipping the axle over the springs is a half way short cut just as removing every other leaf from the springs is. Both will get you low but not without a cost of drive ability and handling.

We who are making suggestions also must not assume that the person asking the question has the skill or knowledge to properly do a mod like flipping the front axle over the spring. It is by no means a one hour deal as you have a lot of fabricating and figuring to do to do it right or you end up creating an unsafe piece of junk.

Dropped axles and custom lowering springs are a stretch for some limited budgets but 300 to drop the axle plus shipping both ways http://www.droppedaxles.com/CHEVY_AXLES.html isn't a lot when your families safety gets involved. Another 300 or so to get a set of custom front springs or maybe a bit less to have yours de-arched at a local spring shop. What ever you do, do it right and do it safe and not a half ------ job that will create a hazard on the road for you, your family and others on the road, we already have enough of those running around.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #22
LordDevlin

Quote:
You're right, you would have to notch the frame both front and rear to accomplish this. What exactly do you want to use the truck for once it's lowered?
Hi Dubie,

Well my father has a 56 gmc 1/2 ton swb big window and I used to drive that all the time. We did everything with it during the weather permitting time of year. Mine is going to be mainly for cruising in, but at times could need to be used as a truck for moving stuff and whatnot like his is. We have been working on my truck together so its a two person project and he has helped alot as he is the expertise when it comes to stock trucks. That being said, out of respect for him and his help, I want to modify the truck and its height in a way that he is acceptable of. He is old school, really old school, and believes that trucks are meant to be trucks, so the real low idea is not really to his taste lol.

So these are the two things that I am taking into account when deciding how to go about the lowering. Just going with posies would be the safest easiest bet, but I worry that it won't be a full 3 inch drop as I have read that usually its about 2 and a bit, and that this will not lower me enough to satisfy my needs. So im thinking the drop axle and spring combo would be best. Im not gonna be off roading at all, so should I worry about the clearance issues?

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate the patience.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #23
dubie

If you use a dropped axle and lowering leaf springs, that will be bring the truck down 4 1/2" - 6" depending on what springs you use. I used mono leafs on mine with a dropped axle and I won't be hauling much of anything. The ride is nice, it steers and handles great, but you have to watch certain things like raised man hole covers, speed bumps and some driveways. It looks badass but I won't be using it as a truck very much.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
dubie

I'm not sure if you've read through this entire build thread on the Hamb but he did the same drop as mine and ended up changing his monos out for the super sliders so he could use it more like a truck. His ride heights came up a small amount from the monos but it still looks killer. Just remember, when you drop it this much, you also need to heat and bend your steering arm and replace your tie rod and ends to the new style.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=460642

Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
LordDevlin

Quote:
If you use a dropped axle and lowering leaf springs, that will be bring the truck down 4 1/2" - 6" depending on what springs you use. I used mono leafs on mine with a dropped axle and I won't be hauling much of anything. The ride is nice, it steers and handles great, but you have to watch certain things like raised man hole covers, speed bumps and some driveways. It looks badass but I won't be using it as a truck very much.
Ive looked at your truck alot over the last few months during my searches and have read your thread... and we have dicussed a bit on here in the past. I am worried about the clearance which is really the only reason keeping me from jumping on the dropped axle.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you've read through this entire build thread on the Hamb but he did the same drop as mine and ended up changing his monos out for the super sliders so he could use it more like a truck. His ride heights came up a small amount from the monos but it still looks killer. Just remember, when you drop it this much, you also need to heat and bend your steering arm and replace your tie rod and ends to the new style.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=460642
Thanks for the link... yes I have read through it. Im thinking the way to go for me is to just start with some lowering springs and see how I find that and then if I need more drop then I can revisit the dropped axle.

So if I want as low as possible, done safely, without dropping the axle I guess monos are my best bet? Should I still modify the steering arm and update the tie rod ends with just the monoleaf mod and not the dropped axle? Should I also still do the caster shims?

Dubie, which monos do you have? Any concerns?

Thanks for all your help.