The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
CamaroChris

Re: Stock air conditioning with LS swap

Thanks for the info guy's. I have a 01 harness and pcm. What pins do I need to add to the pcm to add electric fans? I want the fans to turn on with the a/c
Posted via Mobile Device
1987 Jimmy Build, Project Cheap A$$ Build Link
CamaroChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
mlevario99

good information, I am trying to install the AC on my truck (is a ford 76), I just bought some fittings and parts to install the AC. I install a 4.8 Vortec from a 04 GMC, but the compressor is form a 2000 Chevy truck. I am keeping the Receiver/Expansion Valve/Evaporator system, can I run it without the trinary switch, I have electric fans on my engine, and the computer turn them on/off. Thanks for your help
mlevario99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
eagleuh1

Old thread, but worth a try. What condensors is everyone using? I'm running a 2005 5.3 with truck compressor, modified 68 evaporator with white GM orifice tube installed, and accumulator, and the 68 condensor. I have it running with the transduser to control fan on and off, and a low pressure cutout switch in the compessor suction line. Its a little wimpy on the cooling. Thinking about getting a newer condensor or putting a fan on the original condensor.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Old thread, but worth a try. What condensors is everyone using? I'm running a 2005 5.3 with truck compressor, modified 68 evaporator with white GM orifice tube installed, and accumulator, and the 68 condensor. I have it running with the transduser to control fan on and off, and a low pressure cutout switch in the compessor suction line. Its a little wimpy on the cooling. Thinking about getting a newer condensor or putting a fan on the original condensor.
Running a R-12 condenser with 134a refrigerant hardly ever works right.....Without ALOT of airflow....Two good sized high CFM fans behind the radiator

Installing a fan in front of the condenser will restrict airflow at highway speeds.

Find the biggest 134a "parallel flow condenser" you can that fits your truck.

Keep the "fin & coil" condenser...And change to R-12...Getting all the PAG oil out will be very important though.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Daaaanz67

Hey clinebarger getting that pag oil out of the compressor will probably be almost impossible as the components inside will still be coated. What oil would one use to refill to be compatible with what's left over inside the compressor? My system was the ARA under dash which was the dealer add on I think my truck is a 69c10 ls conversion. Also when I reinstall this unit should I trigger one or both fans to come on while the a/c is engaged gonna keep it r12 I think or should I go 134? Oh yeah my motor is 06 ls truck motor and compressor thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaanz67 View Post
Hey clinebarger getting that pag oil out of the compressor will probably be almost impossible as the components inside will still be coated. What oil would one use to refill to be compatible with what's left over inside the compressor? My system was the ARA under dash which was the dealer add on I think my truck is a 69c10 ls conversion. Also when I reinstall this unit should I trigger one or both fans to come on while the a/c is engaged gonna keep it r12 I think or should I go 134? Oh yeah my motor is 06 ls truck motor and compressor thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

PAG OIL (Polyalkylene Glycol) Refrigerant oil made for HFC R-134a systems CANNOT tolerate even minute amounts of chlorides...It will "destroy" any PAG oil thats in the system. Chloride is an ingredient in R-12.

Getting as much PAG oil out as possible....Draining the compressor, Replacing the dryer, & flushing the condenser & evaporator will go a long way. Whatever PAG thats left will "stick" to any aluminum surface it can find....as a black greasy film....Not ideal but doesnt really matter.

R-134a will NOT hold in a ARA unit....They have "flare" type fittings.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Daaaanz67

Then refill compressor with what type of oil
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Then refill compressor with what type of oil
Posted via Mobile Device
Mineral Oil http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2726&ppt=C0050
Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Daaaanz67

Thanks looks like enough to put some in and re drain. How much should that compressor hold.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
clinebarger

Quote:
Thanks looks like enough to put some in and re drain. How much should that compressor hold.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most of the underdash units take 4-5 ounces....Total system capacity.
I havnt seen any 525 mineral oil in smaller bottles.

I change the oil in my vacuum pump with it...So it's never a waste.

Last edited by clinebarger; 08-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.