The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Bowties

1990 GMC Suburban

Hi! I'm new here but hoped to get some advice concerning a 1990 Suburban. To start, a friend is/was the assistant chief of a local fire department here in NC. He decided to go to Iraq as a firefighter trainer and I bought a few of his vehicles since he was going for 4 years and didn't want them to be sitting. The Suburban was at one time the Chiefs vehicle until it developed a rear whine and they retired it and my friend bought it. He never did anything with it, just let it sit in one of the departments bays for 8 months until he "got around to it". Well, I bought it knowing the rear was bad but not exactly sure how bad but hoped for the best. It turned out for the worst having a "nub" broke off on the drivers side of the differential right at the bearing. This caused the whine but one hard kickdown and it seperated causing the ring and pinion to, well, you know

Anyway, after a few months of gathering parts [all new drum to drum, even the drum] I tore into it and rebuilt the whole rear. The old Gov-Lock is gone and an Auburn posi now resides as well as a new GM ring and pinion kit. All new bearings, incuding wheel bearings, etc.., etc... and it's quiet as a church mouse This rig is VERY nice, the SLE model, 5.7 liter fuel injected, OD trans, 4X4, front/rear COLD A/C and 4 nearly new OS tires on factory holed aluminum wheels. The interior is just as clean as the exterior, finished in fire engine red ext [of course] ~originally black~ w/ burgandy cloth inteior w/ the 3rd seat. 146,000 well maintained miles on this exceptional rig and it shows. It's got a new 200 amp alternator and has 2 batteries, done just before the rear end problem nearly a year ago now.

My point for posting here is that I have no use for it. I've driven it 500 miles since the rear rebuild for break in purposes and it's been flawless. I would like to sell it and I'm wondering what it's worth. I thought about eBay since locally [beach, resort area] nothing brings much $. I've got to think a rig this nice should be worth $3,000 but I'm asking for advice. Of course I'd gladly take more [but would negotiate lower if necessary] and I'm looking for the best place to sell it.

THANKS!