The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
baclay9

Replacement Speakers

My dad has an 84 Silverado and is in desperate need of new speakers. i was going to get him some for Christmas. Is there a direct replacement for the ones in the dash and the 4x10's behind the seats? I need something that will go right in where the factory ones went. Thanks for your help.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
JohnC

Re: Replacement Speakers

You can still get the 4x10's. They aren't as common, and Best Buy and places like that probably won't have them. My uncle went to a local stereo shop here in Norman, and they had some. Now the dash speakers are common, and most places have those.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
tucsonjwt

Classic parts has direct replacement speakers: Front left or right - $39.95 ea, Rear $43.95 ea. About $168 total + S&H. My take - quality is probably not as good as modern speakers. I put Pioneer small round speakers in the kick panels in front and small round JVC speakers in homemade corner boxes in the rear. You can get nice aftermarket speakers for $20-$30 a pair or less - I saw nice Sony speakers at Walmart for less than $20. I would take the sub $50 route myself - but I am cheap and not concerned about factory correct appearance. I can post pics of my cheap install if you like.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
JohnC

Also an idea... If he doesn't care particularly about the fact that they have to be the 4x10's. You can get a set of the 6x9 speaker brackets that Jeff here on the board makes and put 6x9's in the corners. If you are interested in that route let me know I have a set that I won't be using anytime soon.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
74chevy3/4

Crutchfield.com has 4 X 10s
74chevy3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Also an idea... If he doesn't care particularly about the fact that they have to be the 4x10's. You can get a set of the 6x9 speaker brackets that Jeff here on the board makes and put 6x9's in the corners. If you are interested in that route let me know I have a set that I won't be using anytime soon.
I plan to get a set of Jeff's brackets for my truck but my Dad is weird about aftermarket stuff like that. I know he would perfer the factory size. I will probably check out Classic Trucks. They don't need to be great quality as he doesn't really jam anymore.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Classic parts has direct replacement speakers: Front left or right - $39.95 ea, Rear $43.95 ea. About $168 total + S&H. My take - quality is probably not as good as modern speakers. I put Pioneer small round speakers in the kick panels in front and small round JVC speakers in homemade corner boxes in the rear. You can get nice aftermarket speakers for $20-$30 a pair or less - I saw nice Sony speakers at Walmart for less than $20. I would take the sub $50 route myself - but I am cheap and not concerned about factory correct appearance. I can post pics of my cheap install if you like.
Can you give me a link to the fronts? All I see are the rears and a kit to put two newer speakers in the center of the dash.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
tucsonjwt

I only see it on page 95 of their printed catalog. I don't think everything in the printed catalog is online. You can order a catalog from their online website. Or, you can call them to chekc availability. My guess is that you can find OEM replacement speakers elsewhere on the net also if you keep looking.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
baclay9

What size are the front speakers?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
JohnC

Why not get the speakers for the corners of the dash instead of the one in the middle? The corner ones are 3-1/2". My cousin just bought a set for my old truck at Best Buy for around $50

Last edited by JohnC; 12-01-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

3.5's in the dash. I would spend the money to get a good set.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
tucsonjwt

Don't know if you are concerned about long term life of speakers, but speakers in the dash are exposed to sun (like the dash pad) and the paper cones deteriorate over time in that location. Sperakers in kick panels and behind the seat locations last longer, assuming no physical impact.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
HOGDADDY

If you are using the stock GM radio then only 8-10 ohm speakers are recomended. I found some nos front ones and used these universal 8 ohm 4x10 in back stock brackets. They bolted right up.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

They also sell a small round one that may work in front also. My stock radio sounds pretty good for stock.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 12-03-2010 at 02:42 AM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
355bullet

damm i wish i saved the box, i replaced mine with sony. For the rear, almost the exact match too. They are out there, just go to a stereo shop, but take the old one with u

i have something like this, had to redrill holes
Kicker KS4100
4"x10" 2-way car speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_2068KS4...=3&tp=99&avf=N

Last edited by 355bullet; 12-03-2010 at 02:50 AM.
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #15
HOGDADDY

Again if you are using the stiock radio:

Note: Many replacement speakers now sold by the discount stores, auto parts stores and mail order restoration parts houses are labeled as "4 to 8 ohm compatible" and are in fact 4 ohm speakers. These speakers can damage the older transistor radios. 4 ohm speakers will measure around 3.2 ohms with a DC ohmmeter. An 8 - 10 ohm speaker will measure around 7.4 ohms with a DC ohmmeter. The DC resistance is the critical number for the Delco radios as the output transistor is in series with the speaker. A properly operating Delco radio should have 1.5 volts DC across the speaker voice coil. A 4 ohm speaker will draw twice the current of an 8 ohm and cause the amplifier transistor (the half dollar size device mounted to the black finned heat sink on the back of a Delco radio) to run very hot. The speaker cone should be displaced in an upward (away from the magnet) direction about 1/8" when a Delco radio is turned on. If the cone moves down toward the magnet, the speaker leads need to be reversed. Ford and Chrysler radios of the period used the same type of germanium output transistors as the Delco radios and also require 8 ohm speakers. However, Ford and Chrysler radios ran with 0 to 1 volt DC offset on the speaker depending on the radio model and vintage. Many will not deflect the cone when turned on like the Delco radios.

This is from that website I posted above.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 12-04-2010 at 02:46 AM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote