The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
rockachevy

have any body done this

has anybody here switched a IFS truck to solid axial truck, i wanted to know how hard it was and about how much did this project cost because i was thinking about doing this to my truck.
rockachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Altec
Getcha Pull

Re: have any body done this

A popular conversion on Pirate4x4. Search on there.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
rayfinseats

I have both trucks and IFS rides way better. I just thought I'd mention that. You can do anything if you have enough time and money.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Psycho71

I saw two guys do it on a truck show on TV a while back. It only took them about 30 minutes to do it.

Seriously though. It looked like they had a kit that pretty much made it a bolt-in job once all the IFS stuff was removed. If I remember correctly, they did it to a full size blazer or something similar. I only halfway paid attention to it though. Positive it was a GM product though.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
I have both trucks and IFS rides way better. I just thought I'd mention that. You can do anything if you have enough time and money.
Ride quality is set by how your holding the vehicle up. Not what the tires bolt to. Leaf spring ride is all about length of packs, what makes up the packs, and proper spring rates for vehicle weight. Along with shackle angle, and proper shock placement. Linked suspensions are a bit more in depth.

Factory setups are always made practical, never perfect.

A solid axle held up by some half ton 52" rear springs, with a slightly exaggerated shackle angle, and close-to-vertical mounted shocks will ride like a caddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho71 View Post
I saw two guys do it on a truck show on TV a while back. It only took them about 30 minutes to do it.

Seriously though. It looked like they had a kit that pretty much made it a bolt-in job once all the IFS stuff was removed. If I remember correctly, they did it to a full size blazer or something similar. I only halfway paid attention to it though. Positive it was a GM product though.
Pretty much the entire conversion can be done off the shelf. For both leaf springs, and linked suspensions.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-...Conversion.htm

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
rayfinseats

"A solid axle held up by some half ton 52" rear springs, with a slightly exaggerated shackle angle, and close-to-vertical mounted shocks will ride like a caddy."

I have heard that too. Why didn't Chevy do it that way to begin with? So much for engineers.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
"A solid axle held up by some half ton 52" rear springs, with a slightly exaggerated shackle angle, and close-to-vertical mounted shocks will ride like a caddy."

I have heard that too. Why didn't Chevy do it that way to begin with? So much for engineers.
Cuz back then girls didn't drive trucks . Trucks were "engineered" for work. Working a truck means hauling weight. Trucks weren't engineered to ride empty. These trucks were engineered to last and they are doing that very well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote