The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
Oberon67

Farm Truck Retrobuild

Hi all.

I'm the proud owner of an '81 C10 with the 250 inline six and a 3-speed manual transmission. That means the motor's got the double-hump valve cover, the integrated intake manifold and head, a Rochester duo-jet carb, and a ton of anti-smog plumbing.

Fortunately in my state of residence this vehicle has aged out of the tailpipe sniffer test; we're safety inspection only for this truck. A mechanic friend has recommended that I pull the dumb integrated head and all the smog plumbing off that motor and replace it with the head and intake off of, say, a 292 inline six, and add the appropriate aftermarket progressive 2-barrel carb.

(Actually he recommended that I yank the whole engine and replace it with a 350, but that's a story for another time. Suffice to say it's not happening any time soon.)

So let's say I wanted to do the build with the 292 parts and a good aftermarket carb. What's the best way to go about this, and which carb would you choose?
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
rick1956

Re: Farm Truck Retrobuild

I've got a soft spot for sixes myself. I'd recommend you just find yourself a good 292 to start with. You can build/massage it any way you'd like and still drive yours while you're building it.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
kipps

I agree with the reply; buy a complete 292, and get it ready to drop in.

I've never driven a 250 or a 292, but I've put in quite a few miles behind a Ford 300. That Ford i6 is a blast to drive in a lightweight truck! It's not a powerhouse, but the torque curve pairs perfectly with a four-speed manual and 2.73 gears. I assume the GM i6's would be similar.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
Oberon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
I agree with the reply; buy a complete 292, and get it ready to drop in.

I've never driven a 250 or a 292, but I've put in quite a few miles behind a Ford 300. That Ford i6 is a blast to drive in a lightweight truck! It's not a powerhouse, but the torque curve pairs perfectly with a four-speed manual and 2.73 gears. I assume the GM i6's would be similar.
I learned to drive in an Econoline work van with that 300 CI inline six, three on the column, and no back windows. I agree, it was a very useful motor, and I wouldn't mind replicating that in a Chevy 292 at all.

Sourcing the motor and executing a rebuild (I'm not going to drop a junkyard motor in my truck without at least going through it first) will be a bit of a project. So, questions: Do I want a late 292 or an early one? Do I want the stock single-barrel carb, or an aftermarket 2-barrel with an intake adapter? My main concern is driveability. I'm looking for smooth torque delivery all along the rev range.
Oberon67 is offline   Reply With Quote