The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Stephen717

yet another drum brake question

Ok so I finally have time to work on the truck again and decided to finish up the rear brakes. After several trips to the parts store I finally have the rear end 48% complete. I have upgraded from the 11" drums on the eaton axle to the 13" drums from a 14 bolt. Everything was going great until I got to the parking brakes. They're the press in style which isn't that hard to get but I need to know what length cables to get to go from the back of the truck to the front and how to connect them to the parking brake lever in the cab. If anyone could help that'd be greatly appreciated as I need to have the frame out of the shop by tomorrow evening. I'll upload pictures shortly
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Stephen717

Re: yet another drum brake question

When I told the guy at the parts store what I was doing this is what he gave me, and yes I'm getting rid of the split rims
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
Minkota

If memory serves correctly, I seem to remember the Transmission being a factor in the Parking Brake Cable setup / length. Do you know what you will be running for a Transmission?
Minkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
Stephen717

Currently a saginaw 3 speed but eventually I want to change to an nv4500
Old 09-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Stephen717

also on the passenger side the parking brake is reversed from the driver side, is this normal for 14 bolt drums?
Old 09-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
sick472

OT: sorry for the highjack...My truck does not have the circled braces. What are you working on and should my C10 have these? I am running out of stashed parts to put mine back together and don't have these. IDK

Back On Topic: The forward parking brake cables differ between the type of transmission that was used, TH350/Manual or TH400. Some sites differentiate this by Big or Small Block. I can not explain LMC's use of BB vs SB, but Inline Tube specifies the type of transmission, bed lengths (for the intermediate cables), and years. I would go there and see if they can help define what you need.

As far as the drum upgrade: Do you mean that one connection point faces forward and the other faces backwards? That does not sound right. Both of my 72 rear cables point forward (and up slightly) from the inner lower portion of the hub.
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20

Last edited by sick472; 09-09-2020 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added photo
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Stephen717

it started as a 69 c10 but that frame is for a 71 c20 (thought it was a 72 until I found the partial vin on the front of the frame). I'm also hopefully getting the wheels off my old truck this weekend so while they're not pretty at least they've got good rubber and will barely clear the front calipers until I can afford the rims I want. Anyway I got the hard line on the side closest in that picture finished so it connects to the rubber line that goes to the distribution block, and I'm pretty sure I can make a 71 parking brake setup work. Now I am in search of a proportioning valve for the front, and I'm looking for the rear lines to hook the drum brakes to the distribution block on the rear axle. does anyone know where to find those? its a disc front drum rear c20 frame so I don't know if the proportioning valve for a c10 would work (I wouldn't think so cause its a bigger frame and bigger brakes but i'm not sure).
Old 09-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Stephen717

the answer to your question though is no, your half tone shouldn't have those. just got out from under my half ton frame and they aren't there. I am thinking about snagging the rubber line off the rear brake system on the half ton though as it's longer than the one I have on my three quarter ton frame
Old 09-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
Stephen717

So I'm still looking for the rear lines that go from the distribution block to the drums, don't know if anyone would know who would sell them. everything I can think to search to find them brings up results for a disc brake swap and I don't want to do that.