The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2024, 06:57 PM   #26
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Re: Home gas furnace .. I do not want no more

I run a propane heater because I can't get natural gas up here. It's expensive but it kinda works. I have a pellet stove in my fireplace and I don't like it. Probably because it's 50 years old and it's busted. I want to convert it back to a wood fireplace but I'm not sure what's involved in that. Like you I have a problem with heat distribution with the propane, some rooms roast and others are cold but I attribute that to the size of my house, it's 2800 sq. ft. and a single story, so it's a really long house. I run propane on one water heater and the other is one of those electric tankless deals. I have no problem with either but I don't use the electric one much because I close off that side of the house because I seldom go over there and want to cut down my bills. But I have to say that the electric is faster than the propane. It's Johnny on the spot. I have swamp coolers to cool the place and they're okay but this house stays cold always which is great for summer but not so much in the winter. My wife wants to put those splitters in different rooms to control what gets heat or cold and what doesn't instead of paying to heat and cool empty rooms. I kind of like that idea. I have little ceiling heaters in the bathrooms which are nice and my pecker doesn't shrivel up when I take a shower. Whoever said little things mean a lot was full of sh!t.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:13 AM   #27
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I run a propane heater because I can't get natural gas up here. It's expensive but it kinda works. I have a pellet stove in my fireplace and I don't like it. Probably because it's 50 years old and it's busted. I want to convert it back to a wood fireplace but I'm not sure what's involved in that. Like you I have a problem with heat distribution with the propane, some rooms roast and others are cold but I attribute that to the size of my house, it's 2800 sq. ft. and a single story, so it's a really long house. I run propane on one water heater and the other is one of those electric tankless deals. I have no problem with either but I don't use the electric one much because I close off that side of the house because I seldom go over there and want to cut down my bills. But I have to say that the electric is faster than the propane. It's Johnny on the spot. I have swamp coolers to cool the place and they're okay but this house stays cold always which is great for summer but not so much in the winter. My wife wants to put those splitters in different rooms to control what gets heat or cold and what doesn't instead of paying to heat and cool empty rooms. I kind of like that idea. I have little ceiling heaters in the bathrooms which are nice and my pecker doesn't shrivel up when I take a shower. Whoever said little things mean a lot was full of sh!t.
Not sure if you are speaking about zoning. Cutting off more than 10-20% of flow to other areas can cause problems. The existing system is at best designed to accommodate the maximum flow of the system. When you shut passages off it does not necessarily increase flow to other areas. It just decreases efficiency. The system needs to be designed to allow extra flow into all areas to operate properly with zoning. A complete redesign of the system. I cannot even remember how many improperly installed zone systems that were repaired in my career. Make sure you hire someone that knows what they are doing.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:41 AM   #28
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Not sure if you are speaking about zoning. Cutting off more than 10-20% of flow to other areas can cause problems. The existing system is at best designed to accommodate the maximum flow of the system. When you shut passages off it does not necessarily increase flow to other areas. It just decreases efficiency. The system needs to be designed to allow extra flow into all areas to operate properly with zoning. A complete redesign of the system. I cannot even remember how many improperly installed zone systems that were repaired in my career. Make sure you hire someone that knows what they are doing.

Richard,,, in reguards to this what you state

I have our laundry room vent closed for years along with a small bathroom shut down to 1/4 vent and have had no problems so far .. What does this do may I ask have to make repairs to the system .I am not doubting your knowledge just asking for more information .
Old 05-03-2024, 02:02 AM   #29
Richard

A distribution system (ducting) is designed to flow the amount of air the furnace or air handler is designed to output. In my years I have found most are slightly undersized for various reasons. Any time you shut a vent down the air tries to go somewhere else. If the distribution system is already maxed out airflow is reduced when shutting off a vent, not redistributed. The compressor is under higher load, A/C system may freeze up, temp rise is higher on the heat side. System is operating near the safety shutoff levels. A slightly dirty filter may cause a shutdown. Many operate for years not even knowing the system is short cycling or shutting down on the temp limit. Basically, I am saying if you have 10 vents and shut of no more than two you may not have problems. Now shut off five of the ten and there will be problems. The air needs somewhere to go for the system to operate properly. You have been okay, shutting off two smaller vents and the system could tolerate that. Reducing airflow can result in improper operation, higher energy costs and failure. What would driving around with the ebrake applied do to your car? Hope I did not ramble to much. Feel free to pm me for my cell # if you want any more input.
Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote