The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
67cheby
67cheby

after several hours struggling i realize why the get so much for vent windows

i worked forever last night trying to get the rubber around the vent glass, the corner is the part i cant get in, i finally said well i guess that is as good as it gets and gave up , now i know why the prebuilt ones are so expensive
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
MT1972cheyenne

Re: after several hours struggling i realize why the get so much for vent windows

MT1972cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
pat 70/71

Re: after several hours struggling i realize why the get so much for vent windows

I did mine also, took some time just use the proper drill size& don't play with the pivot at all (learned this the hard way) .. Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
capev86

maybe someone needs to do a write up with lots of pics. i need to replace the vent window rubber on my 72 burb.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
71STPSDE

That's why I'm going with one piece windows. I hate the vent windows. I replaced the rubber on my 86 and it fit like ****.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
capev86

one piece windows look great, especially on a show truck, but there are times that vent windows come in handy doing what they were intended for......
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
i worked forever last night trying to get the rubber around the vent glass, the corner is the part i cant get in, i finally said well i guess that is as good as it gets and gave up , now i know why the prebuilt ones are so expensive
Lots of silicone spray and I actually used a clamp to push it in. I'm looking forward to doing the ones on my '70 - the first time, I just went to the JY and found a set of good used ones. I did the ones on my '67, but the rubber that overlaps on the outside of the door does not fit right and looks like crap. It's really one of the more PITA things to do, IMO.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

I started getting ready to pull mine out and paint the frames and replace the rubber, then I read some old threads of guys that were pissed trying to replace theirs. I found a good chrome set on the parts forum, and bought them as fast as I could

I hear its a pain, good luck I hope you get them sorted out.

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
mbgmike

There is a good write up I think by Allansclassics in the 60-66 section.
We rebuild them for customers at times. The secret is using a good quality brand rubber. Their is a big difference. The repro's are made by counterpart. We sell them but I don't like their seals either. When we rebuild them we use a better brand of rubber
To do the revit we sell and rent this tool. It works great and makes it easy. However it costs a lot so we rent it out to. It puts the revits in straight w/o splitting them.
Maby we will do a writeup someday
Attached Images

Last edited by mbgmike; 04-18-2010 at 10:45 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
chas350

"Maby we will do a writeup someday"

Good idea!

71 K10 long fleet (sons truck) new 370hp 355, sm465 np205, 3.73's 33's
70 K20 long fleet
98 G3500 work van
chas350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
100mph

Not sure if this helps but... my body guy did mine for me (and has done many before) - all he did was cut the rubber at the corner with a razor, and the seal, now two pieces can then be put in easily without taking everything apart.

And where its cut its held together tightly by the frame but can be glued back together as well. And you can't tell its been cut if you cut it smoothly with a razor (you just see a very thin line).

Now I haven't really had the truck on the road so I can't say how this holds up long term but I can't see a problem and he promised me that he'd redo it if there's ever a problem (and I trust him 100%).
100mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mph View Post
Not sure if this helps but... my body guy did mine for me (and has done many before) - all he did was cut the rubber at the corner with a razor, and the seal, now two pieces can then be put in easily without taking everything apart.

And where its cut its held together tightly by the frame but can be glued back together as well. And you can't tell its been cut if you cut it smoothly with a razor (you just see a very thin line).

Now I haven't really had the truck on the road so I can't say how this holds up long term but I can't see a problem and he promised me that he'd redo it if there's ever a problem (and I trust him 100%).

Yes that can be done and I am sure its been done for years like that in bodyshops We try and do things correct when working on customers vehicles and not shortcut. If the customer will accept that then it works
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
100mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Yes that can be done and I am sure its been done for years like that in bodyshops We try and do things correct when working on customers vehicles and not shortcut. If the customer will accept that then it works
Hey for sure... always best to do it the right way but sometimes the not so right way works well too ;-) And of course I was fully aware of what they were doing and it simply came down to... do you want to spend 3 hours or 1 hour of our time
100mph is offline   Reply With Quote