The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
junkyardjohn

More Comfy Low Buck Buckets

THE FIRST TWO PICTURES ARE OF THE SEATS IN MY 69 TOWTRUCK. THEY ARE OUT OF A LATE 70s JEEP GRAN CHEROKEE LTE WITH A STOCK CONSOLE. I BOUGHT THEM AT A JUNKYARD FOR $52 A PAIR & PAID $250 TO HAVE THEM RECOVERED. THEY ARE BY FAR THE MOST COMFORTABLE SET OF SEATS I'VE EVER HAD.THEY ARE MOUNTED ON A SET OF STOCK BUCKET SEAT MOUNTS OUT OF A 72 PICKUP.
THE THIRD PICTURE IS OF THE BUCKETS IN MY 82 4X4 LONG FLEET. I GOT THESE ON 1/2 PRICE DAY AT THE LOCAL PICK N PULL & PAID $26 FOR THE PAIR. (THESE WERE JUST FOR MY PARTS HAULER SO I DIDN'T GET THEM RECOVERED) THEY WERE IN A LATE 90s MAZDA. CLIMB IN SOME WRECKED CARS AT THE BONEYARD, & TRY ON SOME SEATS FOR SIZE & FIT.
JOHN
Attached Images

LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Wow...I really like those Jeep buckets! They do look nice. The foreign car places around here have "like new" sets for $100 in every color and configuration. The Acura and Honda seats are comfy and really give good lateral support...if you can keep your truck from rejecting them...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

John,

Those Jeep seats are nice and your upholstery person did a beautiful job.

It must be fun just to ride around!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
junkyardjohn

THANKS GUYS ... MY POINT IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND A FORTUNE TO GET GOOD LOOKING, COMFORTABLE SEATS. I'VE GOT A SET OF STOCK BUCKETS IN MY 71 BLAZER THAT LOOK COOL, BUT AREN'T 1/8th AS COMFORTABLE. I HAVE TO HAVE COMFORTABLE BUCKETS WITH GOOD SUPPORT AS I BROKE MY BACK ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO, & CAN ONLY RIDE ABOUT A 1/2 HOUR IN A TRUCK WITH A STOCK BENCH SEAT. JIM.. --THAT TOWTRUCK GETS AS GOOD (OR BAD) MILEAGE AS ANY OF MY OTHER TRUCKS, SO YEP -- I DRIVE IT ALOT & IT IS FUN JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 01-17-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
SCOTI

The thing I have yet to figure out is 90% of the seats I see in the wrecking yards are 'tweaked' like a 300lb person was sitting in it its entire life thus slowly twisting the frame slightly.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenom w/import seats?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Those seats really look like they belong there - thanks for sharing the pics.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

So you're saying your mind says Chevy and your a$$ says Jeep?

BTW, nice door panels, I have a set just like them. Makes the cab real cosy when it's below zero. It's part of my dual climate control system.

Looking good. Pretty fly for an old guy.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
The thing I have yet to figure out is 90% of the seats I see in the wrecking yards are 'tweaked' like a 300lb person was sitting in it its entire life thus slowly twisting the frame slightly.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenom w/import seats?
Im sure its because they are there because they were hit hard and the persons weight strapped to the seat caused it to tweek upon impact. I was involved in a 8 car pile up when i was younger and me and a friend walked car to car to make sure everyone was alright and every small car involved in the wreck had either twisted seats or the seats had even broken away from the floor mounts in a few.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
HeavyD

And of course they are just made a little less tough than the seats of the 60's, as is true with most vehicle parts today. Think any modern buckets will last 40 years? I don't.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyHoundSteve
Im sure its because they are there because they were hit hard and the persons weight strapped to the seat caused it to tweek upon impact. I was involved in a 8 car pile up when i was younger and me and a friend walked car to car to make sure everyone was alright and every small car involved in the wreck had either twisted seats or the seats had even broken away from the floor mounts in a few.
LUCKILY ONLY ABOUT 20% OR LESS OF THE CARS IN THE BONEYARDS OUT HERE ARE WRECKED.
(QUOTE BY HeavyD) And of course they are just made a little less tough than the seats of the 60's, as is true with most vehicle parts today. Think any modern buckets will last 40 years? I don't. (QUOTE)
HEAVYD... THE JEEP SEATS IN MY TOWTRUCK ARE OUT OF A LATE 70s GRAN CHEROKEE (PROBABLY 76 OR 77) MAKING THEM ALMOST 30 YEARS OLD. DO I THINK THEY WILL LAST ANOTHER 10 YEARS????? DEFINATLY............ DON'T YOU????? JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #11
Swbman

Hey John ,I remember you posting pictures of those seats before a little while back and I thought they were pretty slick looking so I went hunting for some in the local yards,because of you man I just picked up my fourth set the other day,Not trying to corner the market,but like you said they are very comfortable and look great done correctly most people can not tell that they arent factory originals, and plus in some cases both driver and passenger seats are full power operated and best part of all they are still reasonable priced.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 AM   #12
HeavyD

"THE JEEP SEATS IN MY TOWTRUCK ARE OUT OF A LATE 70s GRAN CHEROKEE (PROBABLY 76 OR 77) MAKING THEM ALMOST 30 YEARS OLD. DO I THINK THEY WILL LAST ANOTHER 10 YEARS????? DEFINATLY............ DON'T YOU?????" Quote by JOHN.

Yup, I wasn't trying to say your seats were crap. I was simply stating that the newer (as in 90's) seats don't seem to last that long before they all sag out. Your seats were made with old school springs and such, and are excellent to recover. I do not call anything from the 70's "new". Anyway, the seats look good, and I think i will check around here to see if any are in the yards.