The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
bhap

Wiring for Alternator, HEI, Lights, Fuel Pump

I'm trying to keep this simple, but sometimes I think I think too much. I have a 62 C10 that has an L31 crate engine going in with HEI and an electric choke Quadrajet. The alternator is a CS130 100 amp. Using a GM HEI, Carter P4070 fuel pump and also installing a Saginaw 3 speed overdrive. My plan is to only upgrade the wiring under the hood and keep most of the new relays and fuses where the voltage regulator used to be. I'll attach a rough sketch of what I think will work, but would appreciate any suggestions for improvement or safety. I'm thinking of using a Bussmann 37702 power relay module to get a switched 12v source and large fuse protection coming off the alternator. One side of the Bussmann is switched and the other is constant 12v, both have a fuse - each side is max 70 amp. I'd like to use the input stud on the Bussmann as a junction block to supply the battery and also the original fuse box (with the supply wire upgraded to 10 gauge with a 14 ga fusible link). Battery charge wire would be 8 gauge with 12 gauge fusible link. The two outputs from the power relay module would feed two small fuse blocks that would supply headlight relays, horn relay, fuel pump, electric choke, HEI relay and overdrive relay. I think I'm ok going direct to fuel pump without a relay (but through an oil pressure switch) and also direct to the electric choke. Can I combine the fuel pump and electric choke wires on one circuit and run both through the oil pressure switch? I've seen where people say yes, but also that if choke fails and blows a fuse, it kills the fuel pump too. The setup with the overdrive kickdown switch requires an HEI relay or I'd wire that direct to the switched 12v too. Thanks for reading and for any help laying this out.

Bob
Attached Images

bhap is offline   Reply With Quote