The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
deiinc

lower radiator panel

Wondering how important it is to have the lower radiator grill panel in place on a 50 3100. Has anybody just not installed it? Seems like it could be eliminated.
I got an old bent up one and not real interested in buying an aftermarket panel that won't fit.

Thanks,
Roger
deiinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: lower radiator panel

It supports the grill and serves to direct air into the radiator instead of letting it flow under the truck. Both things are pretty important. It shouldn't be very hard to find a stock one that is in usable shape that isn't too expensive if you can't straighten yours.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
49bowtie

I was thinking the same thing. I finished painting my 49 and forgot to put it back on. In the few drives so far, the temp guage seems to sit a little higher than I remember. 210 versus 195 or so when driving around town. I think I'm going to break down and put it back on. I'll follow up, if I get any worthy results.
49bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
deiinc

48 & 49 thanks for the replies. To be more clear I was more concerned for structural reasons as I am running a SBC and an aluminum radiator that fills every inch of the radiator support and then some. The radiator fits into the support rather than bolting onto the back of the support and I had to "customize" the lower support radiused corners in order to fit the radiator into the support. As far as air flow it seems to me like the panel will more reduce the open area in front of the radiator than help.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
deiinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
mr48chev

It doesn't block the air flow at all but directs it up to the radiator. And it does add a lot of structure, especially when mods have been made to the other pieces. All of the pieces in the front ends of these trucks work together to make the whole structure sound and when one is missing or compromised it allows for the front end to flex.
Over the past 39 years I've made about every mistake that can be made with one of these trucks and leaving pieces out of the front end sheet metal and having problems later have been high on that list.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote