The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

WOW! What a week. I have been trying to wrap up a couple of projects at work so that's kept us going. My service manager went on vacation so I am covering for him as well.

In between it all I have been trying to get the tranny on my 77 fixed. I took it Monday to my bro-in-laws shop so he could fix the tailshaft leak, install the correct speedo gears, and get the shift points adjusted.

They had to order the correct speedo gears an housing so it was Thursday before I got it back. The good news is it shifts correctly, doesn't leak, and the speedo is correct.

The bad news is when I picked it up he tells me my alternator belt is squealing. We look at it and discover a bolt is missing in the brackets. No biggie, I'll put one in later. It felt nice to drive it again with everything working correctly...sorta.

Friday evening I get a call from the photographer that shot it for Street Trucks. He says he is coming to town and needs more exterior shots. Ok, so I need to clean it up, no biggie.

Saturday morning I start pulling the wheels to polish them inside and out. By mid day I'm done with that so I find a bolt to fit the alternator. It's not perfect, but it will do for now. I spend the rest of the day detailing the entire truck.

Saturday night I meet with Joseph so he can shoot my truck again. He is really pleased with the light so that goes well. He gets a few rolling shots too so I'm pretty pumped.

As I'm leaving the photo shoot I decide to gas it a little and smell rubber burning. Hmmm? I smelled that yesterday too. Come to think of it I have smelled that about 3-4 times when I get on it a little.

I go to a local cruise spot and check out the rides. The weather was great and the response to the 77 was awesome. Life is good! At least for the moment anyway. On my way home I smell burning rubber again and notice my voltage is way down. Hmmm? The alt belt is slipping again.

Today I buy the correct bolt for the alt brackets and try to tighten everything up. The belt snaps! I think it got waaaay to hot from all the slipping. Now I gotta track down a belt and hope that all that's wrong.

It still feels nice to have it on the road despite the minor aggravitions.

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-11-2006 at 10:36 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Re: What did you get done?

Damn Ken that is looking awesome on that back drop. What about some engine pics now that the swap is completed?

I worked like usual. Inventory coming up and it's a PITA. On the Blazer I shimmed the starter with a shim kit and a piece of wood. Basically the starter was still loose due to a tiny hairline crack on the passenger side of the block. My tranny guy told me to grind down a piece of 2x4 and wedge it between the oil pan and the starter. Worked great but still I need a new flexplate. Just when you think you got off easy the Murphy's Law kicks in.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Nolowrider

Spent part of Saturday swapping out the power steering pump.
Today I scored a new set of chrome valve covers for $20.00. I had not planned on going with too much chrome on this build, planned on keeping it stock looking. But, for the price I could not pass them up. Took her out for a little spin and noticed I had a oil leak, so I limped her back home. Think it was the oil pressure unit. I hope I fixed it. I know my engine bay looks terrible, but here is the before and after. This ia new build and I still have alot of work to in there.

Last edited by Nolowrider; 06-11-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
C-10volvo

i put in an order for new chrome front and rear bumper along with new brackets and bolts, new dome light cover, window crank and power steering pump.

its been almost two years since my paint job and its been bumperless... finally it will look half way done...

college is the devil!

oh yeah i only have two more finals next week till i'm half way with my engineering degree! yay

i also threw in a few pics of my volvo at the IPD car show
Attached Images

For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
mingoman

Spent the last two days getting #2 son moved to Jonesboro for school.I worked a little on the Chevelle front suspention this afternoon. Took this picture of my truck dash bezel & tach clusterTo see If I can post something truck related for a change.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #6
1974gmc
In Progress

had to work on staurday, then went to the old time drags on sunday

saw this cool truck...

1974gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Izzy
Trucker.

Saturday I put some new Doetsch Tech shocks on the back of my Tahoe.

Sunday we spent the day on Lake Grabury again.

I also borrowed Ken's idea and ran with it on FSC.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=214844

Last edited by Izzy; 06-11-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
dswancutt

Actually worked on one of my trucks. Pulled the front stabilizer bar off my 79 Diesel parts truck and put it on my other 79. I have only been putting this off since September of last year. Found a set of NOS Frame brackets on eBay along with new bushings. Had to buy two new bushing brackets. But it is finally on.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
82c10
needin' money

friday night i went to the noble to the drag races, saturday i went to a swap meet, again nothin truck related
Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Russell
Professional Grade

Spent most of the weekend at the church retreat -- Had lots of fun!

I did spend an hour or two this afternoon doing a bit of wiring on the GMC, but otherwise I didn't do much with my trucks
Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #11
BigDan3131

I did a rough block of my project...( rolling eyes,shaking fist in air) my uncle used it to much like a beater, that was friday. Spent saturday with my girlfriend and sunday resting from time spent with girlfriend.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #12
Crush

Spent Saturday pulling out the brake booster/master cylinder and prepping the surface for the hydroboost unit. Also while the engine bay was somewhat uncluttered I installed the headers with a Stage8 bolt kit and Percy's Seal-4-Good Dead-Soft gaskets. Pretty nice setup once it was finished. While Under the hood I got the radiator straightened out for now, but really just need to make a cowl support for it, the factory one doesn't really fit the new radiator very well. Got a few little wiring issues straight and started getting ready to pull the bed back off to start on the rearend and fuel cell.

One tidbit that I'm sure everyone has run across.....seems that the tranny crossmember on the driver side is going to impeed my exhaust system...any ideas on custom crossmembers?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush
One tidbit that I'm sure everyone has run across.....seems that the tranny crossmember on the driver side is going to impeed my exhaust system...any ideas on custom crossmembers?
I have seen a few different ones. Gchemist has one that was custom made from (I think) square tubing. I saw another member post pics of one he made recently.

I think it was Russel who said he cut two crossmembers in half and welded them together to make a crossmember that clears the exhaust on both sides.

The pics N2TRUX posted of his new transmission look like they used a generic tubular crossmember. I guess it could be custom sine it is just round tube and 2 plates. See the 21st post here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=N2TRUX+ramjet

They have a good selection of that type of crossmember at good prices at http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm or a place like Summit Racing.

Some older trucks came from the factory with a double hump crossmember. I'm still looking for one.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 06-12-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
Crush

I was contemplating the "take two to make one" approach. But a tubular one would work just fine also. I'll check that place out. Thanks.

Last edited by Crush; 06-12-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
Eyegore
What Hump?

Friday I tore into replacing the a/c system. Pulled off the old evaporator and installed a new one. Replaced the accumulator ran cleaning oil through everything and was about to install the compressor when i found out Iwas sold the wrong one, different offset at the electrical connection. So waiting till Monday to replace it.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #16
chevroletman19712001

saturday i spent a while getting some of the areas with surface rust on the body of my 79 down to the metal so i can prime them. the trucks finally starting to look more like a gray truck with rust than a rust truck with a little gray lol. the more work i put in it the more proud ill be when im through. plus im 16 and plan on opening a shop someday so this ol beater is a good practicing point for bodywork
91 silverado 350 TBI
and a few others that my brand loyalty wont permit me to post. Eureka Boys!!!!
chevroletman19712001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #17
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore
Friday I tore into replacing the a/c system. Pulled off the old evaporator and installed a new one. Replaced the accumulator ran cleaning oil through everything and was about to install the compressor when i found out Iwas sold the wrong one, different offset at the electrical connection. So waiting till Monday to replace it.
My '86 requires a compressor with the plug in the 9 o'clock position if that helps any...

Slonaker
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #18
Moostifer
a fool with no money

Friday night I worked on the wiring (damn wire eating mice!) Got my hair caught in the creeper wheel

Saturday, went to crank mine for the first time in 3 years, only to find out I have a dead MSD 6AL box! been waiting three years, what's another 3 days? (still sucks!) Got my hair caught in the creeper wheel...

Sunday, tried to find a MSD 6AL box..... got a haircut

Ken....
bet it feels good to get in some seat time?

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
...The pics N2TRUX posted of his new transmission look like they used a generic tubular crossmember. I guess it could be custom since it is just round tube and 2 plates....
Slonaker
Roger at Stoked Out built that one. It's a pretty simple design and left plenty of room to run the exhaust.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-12-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostifer
....Ken....
bet it feels good to get in some seat time?
It really did. I haven't really driven it in over a year and it felt nice to get some seat time...

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 06-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #21
Moostifer
a fool with no money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegore
here's one that I made... shouldn't cost you too much from a fab shop. I had to drill a couple of holes in the frame, but it's a very simple design with plenty of exhaust room.

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #22
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I went down to Austin this weekend, and put a 4" lift under our '72 Blazer. I used to be able to knock them out in a few hours; this one seemed to take forever. Nothing unbolted. There was a lot of heat, cutting, and cussing involved. Sure looks good, though. Just need to get the rest of the truck looking that good.

The other bit of good news I got is my ASE test scores came back. I am now a Master collision tech.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Crush

Thanks guys.

Ken...you wouldn't happen to have a pic of it not installed would you? Looks to be just a Tube with flat pieces in the end for the frame mount...sound right?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #24
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
I think it was Russel who said he cut two crossmembers in half and welded them together to make a crossmember that clears the exhaust on both sides.
While that definitely sounds like something I'd do, wasn't me!

I got myself a crossmember from a 76 or prior truck. It has two reasonably large "humps" in it for exhaust on either side from the factory I then switched to 4x4, and put a transfercase in the way of my exhaust
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #25
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush
Thanks guys.

Ken...you wouldn't happen to have a pic of it not installed would you? Looks to be just a Tube with flat pieces in the end for the frame mount...sound right?
It looks to me like the end pieces are "C" shaped so that they bolt through the top and bottom of the frame rails.

Ken: Does your exhaust route over or under the crossmember?

Slonaker