The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
bhunt31
krazy hillbilly from Kentucky

Old body/New frame

Has anyone ever done this swap? Putting like an 84 body on like a 95 frame and running gear? I thought about doing this in the future, wondering if things will line up or if I'm gonna have to be fabbing mounts. Anybody know?
"Life, Liberty, and Ford's Pursuit of Chevy taillights"
You say "Obsessed with my trucks" like it's a bad thing
bhunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: Old body/New frame

Are we talking 2 or 4wd? What would be the advantages of the newer frame?The running gear would be a little better (fuel injection,computer controlled,etc) but that's about it.If you want to use the motor/tranny I'd swap them over.If 4wd I'd see no reason too except it may ride a little better.The 4wd system is worse though on the newer ones....

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 01-02-2008 at 06:43 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

That swap is a lot of work for not a whole lot of gain. Sell the newer frame and get what a frame that goes with the year of your truck. You will be many dollars and headaches ahead of the game.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

anything can be done but that doesnt mean its worth it..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
bhunt31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969k10stepside View Post
Are we talking 2 or 4wd? What would be the advantages of the newer frame?The running gear would be a little better (fuel injection,computer controlled,etc) but that's about it.If you want to use the motor/tranny I'd swap them over.If 4wd I'd see no reason too except it may ride a little better.The 4wd system is worse though on the newer ones....
It's a 2wd truck. I'm getting ready to put a Vortec 350 in my 84 Silverado for the fuel injection, driveability, and fuel mileage. I was going to upgrade the rear springs to new style 3/4 ton springs so I'd have the hauling capacity without sacrificing a lot of ride quality. I've owned both new and old 3/4 ton Chevy pickups and I've noticed that the newer ones ride closer to what my 1/2 ton rides like but have extra spring capacity. I was going to upgrade to have the newer suspension systems and steering system for the front and the beefier axle and 8 lug rims but keep my 84 1/2 ton status for insurance reasons. I was in an accident back in September that I wound up losing my license over and need to keep my 84 for insurance purposes, but would like the newer chassis and capabilities of the 3/4 ton.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
BaddBusa2005

I would like to put an 81-87 truck body setup on a 2002-2005 awd yukon chassis.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Will it fit? No! There are a lot of differences between the 73-87's and the 88-98 frames. With the proper tools, patience and skills, anything can be done. Is it worth the trouble? Probably not...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-03-2008 at 12:27 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I've thought a couple a times about doing what your talking about. When I had my 87, The body was Perfect and I almost bought an 05 lwb reg cab to do that same thing. The 05 had a 5.3l v8 and 10k on it for around $4500 and had been rolled so I was going to put my 87 body on it and keep all the electronics/drivetrain, etc from the 05. It might be worth it if you keep the drivetrain and everything else and just swap the body, and do the fab work yourself. You'd have to make all the body mounts up, and find a place to hide the electronics (the old dash isn't as deep as the 05 dash) and adapt things that are specific to each body. I did see a guy who did this to an 80's chevy and he even grafted the new dash in the old truck along with the entire interior. Then you'd have the style of an old truck and the perks of a new truck with low miles. I wouldn't swap only the frame though. you'd have to adapt everything to it for minimal gain.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
bhunt31

Thanks for all the advice guys...you've talked me out of that project, I just don't think I'm up to the challenge anymore...shame that I'm only 27 and limited in what I can do anymore due to a knee surgery and 2 back surgeries, but I still do what I can.

So, next question is: What do you think about upgrading to 3/4 ton rear springs off of a newer Chevy truck? Would it just be fabbing new hangers in place and locating the rear axle so it runs true? This truck is one I'll take to my grave, and I want it to remain in it's 1/2 ton "status", but I also want to be able to pull whatever I need to pull with it at the same time and from what I've pulled with it in the past, the only thing lacking is the rear suspension.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
bhunt31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddBusa2005 View Post
I would like to put an 81-87 truck body setup on a 2002-2005 awd yukon chassis.
How much work was it to put that 5.3L/4L60E in your pickup? Possibly another project for later this year.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Pyrotechnic

No need for newer leaf springs. Get some 73-87 8 leaf 3/4 ton springs. They came on 3/4 ton and big 10 or heavy half trucks. They are longer than the 1/2 ton springs so you need to move the rear spring hangers back on the frame, but the holes are already there for you. Even though they are stiffer, the extra length helps to give a better ride.

Sounds like what you want is a heavy half ton truck, which is 1/2 ton axles with 3/4 ton springs. Chevy/GMC offered that package for many years and it's easy to duplicate. No need to use weird stuff and do a bunch of fab work, GM already made it easy for you. This swap is bolt in.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
bhunt31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
No need for newer leaf springs. Get some 73-87 8 leaf 3/4 ton springs. They came on 3/4 ton and big 10 or heavy half trucks. They are longer than the 1/2 ton springs so you need to move the rear spring hangers back on the frame, but the holes are already there for you. Even though they are stiffer, the extra length helps to give a better ride.

Sounds like what you want is a heavy half ton truck, which is 1/2 ton axles with 3/4 ton springs. Chevy/GMC offered that package for many years and it's easy to duplicate. No need to use weird stuff and do a bunch of fab work, GM already made it easy for you. This swap is bolt in.
I used to have a 78 3/4 ton 2wd and it's ride was a lot choppier than my 84 1/2 ton Silverado's ride is...so that's why I was thinking about going to newer style, then again, that 3/4 ton may have had 1 ton springs too, it was originally a BB truck and had 9 springs(I think) in the back pack.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
bhunt31

I dunno, I've got a Chevy Van of the same body style bought for $200 that has a good running 350 4 bolt main, TH350, and good solid rear end under it, so I may buy it to swipe those parts to put in my Silverado plus the seats and window motors out of the van for my truck...but, I want a newer LSx engine in it before I'll be happy with it...so, I dunno what to do right now...too much time off work, I'm going bonkers.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
Pyrotechnic

You gotta expect a harsher ride from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck when it's empty. You've added more spring and the truck is still the same weight. Now granted newer trucks may have slightly better springs, but the difference is a ~$5000 truck and a ~$30,000 truck. When you get either loaded down they will ride like Cadillac.

If you really want the best of both worlds, you wanna run 1/2 ton springs with helper air bags. That way you can have the ride soft unloaded, but when it's time to haul, just pump up the bags to lift the rear level.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote