The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

does anyone have cutouts?

I was wondering if anyone here has or has had some cutouts installed on their truck.

If so any problems with leaks? Any engine damage becaue of lack of back pressure. I think they would be pretty fun if they didn't cause too many problems.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: does anyone have cutouts?

They do leak a little. No matter what you do they will always leak a little. As far as engine damage, I couldn't tell you.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

I had them on my 73 for about two years...no leaks and no apparent engine damage. I only opened them up for dragstrip runs and burn out competitions...as the truck was waaaay too loud to drive on the street with them open. I had the manual-open kind, not the power actuated ones.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

I had McCord electric cutouts on my camaro for awhile. They leaked a little bit, but definitely were a fun toy.

Not to open a can of worms, but you cannot harm an engine due to "lack of back pressure"-----it's an old wives tale. You never want back pressure in your exhaust system. Run those suckers wide open....the only thing you'll hurt is your hearing.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

What SWB85 said x2..

A buddy has one on his LS1 urged Z28, he runs a stock exhaust system behind it, opens it for fun on the street and drag strip runs. It is the electric type, doesnt hurt anything and even with the restrictive stock system it doesnt have a ticking sound or other leak sound, but it isnt a 100% seal. His car runs mid 10s in the 1/4 so the stock system does back things up a bit..

I tend to run 3" or 3.5" systems on my vehicles, they are often loud enough without a cutout, and the flow isnt hurt at all. I put mufflers on everything now, simply because I must be getting old, the noise beats me up pretty bad with open headers.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
OJOE
Crew Cut

they would be real nice at red lights or at gas stations when some one pulls up beside you with their speakers booming
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJOE View Post
they would be real nice at red lights or at gas stations when some one pulls up beside you with their speakers booming
OOOOOOH MAN!!! WOULD IT EVER!!!! I hate that! I finally realized how stupid I was in high school. I use to have the boom boom and that I was a cool guy. Now I realize I was just a dumb kid haha! Now I want to be a dumb kid with cutouts!!!

So how quick do they open and close? I mean could you do that to a guy at a stop light. I'd like to pull up let him have a shout of horsepower, close them up and be on my marry way without every cop in the city realize who did it.

and How bad is the small "leaking" sound? I'm running manifolds so that I dont have to worry about header leaks so does a "leaking" cutout sound just as bad as a leaky header?

Last edited by Hazieview; 01-05-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
So how quick do they open and close? I mean could you do that to a guy at a stop light. I'd like to pull up let him have a shout of horsepower, close them up and be on my marry way without every cop in the city realize who did it.

and How bad is the small "leaking" sound? I'm running manifolds so that I dont have to worry about header leaks so does a "leaking" cutout sound just as bad as a leaky header?

My McCord's took ~4 seconds to go from closed to open & vice versa. The little leak isn't terrible, not near as bad as a leaking header gasket. The only time I could really even hear it was at idle. You can put red rtv around the butterfly valve seal and that stops the leak for a couple months, you just have to keep re-sealing it as the silicone deteriorates.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
87Bob

The current Z-06 Corvette has cutoouts on it that open when you get on it.
87Bob is offline   Reply With Quote