The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
AnotherWs6

Tires - Size, Type, Style

Looking for some opinions. When I bought my truck it came with some older looking Goodyear Wrangler white lettered all season type tires. When I first saw it I was like "why would someone put white lettered Wranglers on this thing." But I guess they have gown on me because I like them, but I don't like the fact that they are rock hard. They just look as though they are old and hard. They are probably fairly new though.

Anyway, what is the proper size tire for a c10 Suburban? In modern metric.

What kind of sidewall would you go for? From the brochures it looked like they came with either black or thin white walls. Anyone feeling white letters?

Michelin LTX's are an excellent tire, but they are pretty tame looking and pricey. What brand and what tread type? Something semi-all terrain so it looks "truck-ish" or just a good riding, handling all season? I want the tires to not stick out, meaning I want them to look totally organic and period correct.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
72kool

Re: Tires - Size, Type, Style

what size rims do you have? im assuming 16" but could be wromg.

there are a few sizes that look good imo. 26575R16 24575R16 are good looking on a truck these years. they fill the wheel well nicely and have a great selection of tires. the 265 may be a little bigger than you like in the front though with a 1/2 ton 2wd. the tire size that is closest to stock i believe is 23585R16. they are a tall skinny tire. looks great on 4x4 but not so much on 2wd imo. again this is assuming that you have 16" wheels. im basing my info off of trucks and not sure if anything is greatly different with suburbans when it comes to tire sizes

the mastercraft ltr is a good truck looking tire with nice manners but it is a softer tread compound to do that and so it wears faster.

the mastercraft hxt is a highway based truck tread but has good looks and better traction then must tires without being a loud mudding tire.

the firestone transforce is a really good tire all around. has a good look on a truck, has a smooth ride and has some meat tread for when you need it. I have had a lot of customers like them and use them on alot of there trucks that are mainly highway trucks but do get used for working in the fields

firestone destination le2 is a lame looking tire for trucks,period. but i have a set on my durango and love them. they are quiet,drive great and actually have good traction. it is my winter vehicle and we had a 15inch blizzard this year. no problems at all

the goodyear wrangler at is a decent tire. it has traction capabilities and has a more truckish look but the tread life and overall appeal has not been there for me. you see these tires on alot of new trucks and suvs today. they are a mass produced tire, contracted to gm and just are not the highest quality tire out there. not a bad tire but i have a few listed higher for me personally.

these are the main tires that would be good options for you that are highway friendly with off road abilities and look like they belong on a truck. there are others out there that are good tires, like michelin but to be honest, they are not as good as you pay for in truck tires. they have not had the mileage as they did in the past and they are having a shortage issue right now and hard to get in places. hopefully all that will change soon.

also alot of good options if you dare go anymore aggressive, but also cost more and not sure if this vehicle warrents that so why pay more for less to you.

just my opinion on all of this. sorry for the long boring post. hope it is of help to you
Old 06-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
AnotherWs6

Thanks. Rim size is 15 x 6 so a 265 is a little but too much.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
72kool

ok that would change the tire size aspect quite abit then. i have only dealt with the 16 inch on these trucks. not sure what the stock size was but alot of the tires i listed above are still availible in sizes like 23575R15. that is a good all around 15 inch tire size. if you wanted anything bigger you would need to go 33-9.5015 for a taller tire but depends on what you are doing with your suburban. i should have asked to start with are what is your plan for it? what look are you going for? what goals are you wanting to achieve with tires?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

This thread might help ...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=703601
Old 06-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

My suggestion would be to run P255/70R15's on all for corners. Now to make that tire pop and fill the wheel well you should put them on an 8 inch wide rim. As for tires I recommend Cooper Cobra GT Radials. I had the exact set up on my last truck ( with 80's rally wheels ) and got lots of compliments on how the rims tires looked on the truck.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote