The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
1984_usmcgmc

truck wont crank

I went to start my truck today and nothing. I trun the key and absolutly nothing. Headlights work dome light works, but no radio, no gauges or anything..Need help have to head home in a week any suggestions Thanks
1984_usmcgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:41 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

check connections on battery
check battery for proper charge ( enough to lite lights but not crank it)
check to see that power is getting to starter with key in start position
check to see that starter fuses are good
has the starter been dragging if so try rapping the starter a couple of times
make sure connections on starter are good
check fusable links to make sure they are good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
1984_usmcgmc

Checked the battery and connections, I changed the lock becuase when you turned the key there was no tensionthought it might be bad but the new one feels the same way no tension when you turn the key to start it
Old 12-07-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
soleeagle

Check the switch, It is located on top of the column close to the bottom. It has a rod that runs from the key tumbler to it. The rod may have came out or the switch may have broke. Thats what it sounds like it could be since it dosnt have an tention on it when you turn the key.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:07 PM   #5
1984_usmcgmc

how hard is it to replace? Do i need to remove the sterring wheel again? Would the switch stop me from being able to put it in gear or any guages or power from working?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
soleeagle

Its not hard to replace. The only think you might need to do is lower the column to get to it eisier. It will have the dimmer switch mounted to the same screws. It will take a set of metric nut drivers to get it off and you need to remove the dimmer switch to get the ignition switch off. not to bad to do just hard to get to, I changed mine without lowering the column but it would be eisier to do it. It will cause most of the power not to work since the key isnt moving the switch. All of the thing that usually work with the key off should still and the ones with it on wont if it is bad or broke. Hope this helps ou out and helps with your problem.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

Old 12-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

to do the switch you need to drop the two 15 mm or 5/8 bolts holding the column up in the truck once ya drop that ( it will fall into your lap) youll have to get a 1/4 inch drive set to get the switch off its the thing which all the wires fall into up on top near the bottom end of the column if youre not patient and not able to reach into small areas its gonna be a little hard my fat fingers can be a problem doin it

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #8
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

before you do any of that, are the headlights dimming when you attempt to start it? if so, your problem is either in the battery, the starter, or the cables that connect the two. if not, then try the stuff mentioned before.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

to do the switch you need to drop the two 15 mm or 5/8 bolts holding the column up in the truck once ya drop that ( it will fall into your lap) youll have to get a 1/4 inch drive set to get the switch off its the thing which all the wires fall into up on top near the bottom end of the column if youre not patient and not able to reach into small areas its gonna be a little hard my fat fingers can be a problem doin it

I hate cancer!!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:14 PM   #10
1984_usmcgmc

I get nothing when i try to start it headlights dont dim. The key is very loose when i try to start it I think i found the switch its on the left side of the column on my truck near the back is that right it has a rod that look sike it runs up to the ignition lock but when i watch it as I turn the key the rod doesnt move at all. Am I looking at the right thing?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:43 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

yes now test that by moving the bar up or down and see what happens make sure the truck is in park tho or neutral and brake if stick

I hate cancer!!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:10 PM   #12
1984_usmcgmc

Ok thanks for everyones help I think im getting somewhere when I move that bar up towards the steering wheel the truck starts right up move it down it shuts off. This is with out the key being moved. When you turn the key though the bar doesnt move at all. Anyone know whats wrong
Old 12-11-2003, 12:40 AM   #13
soleeagle

Sounds like the bar isnt hooked to the key tumbler. Im not sure what or how it conects but you will need to pull the steering wheel off and tear into the column to do it. By the way, im glad you figured out what the problem is. Hope you can get it fixed. At least if you need to drive it you can get it started now.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban