The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Jmoney01

Transmission adapter question

Ok, so I have this my6, np440 transmission sitting in the garage. Problem is, I dont have the correct bellhousing. I thought about making an adapter plate out of 3/16 steel plate. It would sandwich between the bellhousing and transmission. Two bolts will bolt through, the other two bolts will locknut to the adapter. Will this create any fitting issues with the clutch or input shaft?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Jmoney01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Transmission adapter question

Moving the transmission back introduces all kinds of problems.. Some can be overcome, while others are just a PITA forever... Have you tried this place:
http://www.car-part.com/
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
Jmoney01

I was thinking about moving the motor back anyway. Always heard about moving mounts to 6 cyl mounting holes. So cross member moving and drive shaft shortening are already known issues
Old 12-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney01 View Post
I was thinking about moving the motor back anyway. Always heard about moving mounts to 6 cyl mounting holes. So cross member moving and drive shaft shortening are already known issues
That's only part of the problems you'll encounter with engine setback.. You'll probably have to relocate the distributor as it will interfere with the firewall (stated with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek). Shift linkage and clutch linkage alignment are big issues..

Moving the motor back has no connection to the adaptor plate.. What you propose is not a solution to aid (adapting) in the fastening of the transmission to the bell housing.. The biggest concern with the installation of the adaptor plate is: the pilot shaft area of the transmission input shaft no longer fits inside the pilot bearing to it's designed depth.. Things escalate from there.. As you probably know, the engine, transmission, and driveshaft length are all components of a "package".. change one item on any of the three and the other two are affected.. Look into the possibility of drilling and tapping new holes in your existing bell housing.. If that's not feasible, obtain the proper bell housing.. Did you check with the source in my link??
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Jmoney01

I looked and sent a few requests. Thank you. I have the truck up on the lift now, will look a lot closer at moving it back or not