The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
BobRitts

Complete tune-up; Advice? Comments?

Getting ready to do a complete tune up and wanted to get the advice of the board - things I've missed, lessons learned, specs, etc...
I've got a bone stock (except for the HEI) 72 K10 350 w/quadrajet.
Here's my plan:

1) General health / prerequisites
a) Check compression - s/b 120 - 130 for a 350, 9:1 CR ?
b) replace plugs (wires and distributor are new) gapped at .040 - .044
c) replace vacuum lines and check for vac. leaks around lines, connections, at carb mating surfaces. Vacuum should be ~18 inHg at idle? Anyone know?
d) replace fuel filter. Considering an in-line w/ check valve and removing the one in the carb base so I don't have to mess with the fuel line nut any more.

2) Mechanical Settings
a) Set valves, engine running, loosen until it taps then 3/4 turns back in
b) Set timing, gonna try 14 deg mechanical advance, 20 deg centrifugal coming in at 800 RPM, all in by 3000 RPM, and 16-18 of vacuum coming in at 5 inHg and all in by 15. Should give a conservative 52 max at cruise... will tweak it if that setup still pings after the carb is tuned

3) Tune Carb
a) set float level to ~.4 inches (need to look up that spec)
b) set idle speed to 500 RPM, adjusting mixture and idle screw to give highest vacuum / smoothest idle at 500 RPM
c) tie secondaries closed and set primary mixture to maximize smoothness and 0-60 time for a set mid-throttle position. I figure 0-60 is easy enough to measure by hand and repeatable. Tailpipe air/fuel mixture would be the best but I don't want to spring for a wide band 02 sensor quite yet.
d) hook secondaries back up and tune secondary mixture screws to give best 0-60 times at full throttle.

Did I miss anything? Never tuned one of these engines before so any sage advice is appreciated.

Considering a bottle of seafoam after it's all done then re-tuning the carb if it needs it. I'm still skeptical that it will do anything but after that post a while back, looks like a lot of guys have had good results. Haven't heard of anybody having bad results and for a few bucks it's worth the risk if it doesn't cause any damage.

Thanks in advance.
BobRitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
BobRitts

Re: Complete tune-up; Advice? Comments?

Bump...

I know some of you can tune these babies in your sleep...
BobRitts is offline   Reply With Quote