The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2024, 10:37 AM   #1
Dead Parrot

Re: Drill Press and Question

Nice bench top drill press.

One advantage of older stuff is most was designed with replaceable parts. The question today is IF the parts are still available.

Enter your drill press brand and model into your favorite Internet search engine. Often scanned manuals are available in pdf format. Try less favorite search engines if your #1 doesn't work. I found one for my General brand drill press that I purchased off a government surplus site. Floor model complete with 'Property US Government' plate. 80's version.

I have had good luck with 30wt non-detergent oil for things like those motor bearings and lubricating the movable parts on the quill and spindle. Not unusual for some motors to have a bit of end to end movement in the rotor.

2nd on replacing the belt. If it sat unused for a long time, the belt may have taken a set and have a couple of lumps where it was wrapped around the pulleys for years. Could be the original belt.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote