The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
TechBill

Question about putting TBI in a 86 Chevy C10 305

If you have already seen my project thread over at

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728768

where my hood was stolen so the engine been exposed to the weather for the last 6 years. Somehow the water managed to work itself into the Quadjet carb rusting it pretty bad.

At first I thought it would be salvageable but after taking it apart then more rust I found inside and doing research to find that not every parts are widely available that I would be better off getting one of those re-manufactured electronic Quadjet.

I thought why not check into TBI and see if I could pull a complete TBI setup from a junkyard engine and install it on my 305 but I couldn't find any good website with a 305 DIY TBI conversion.

I started looking into kits and found many TBI kits that was primary for hot rods with a price tag close to 2,000 and more.

I have no desire to make this into a high performance truck. I only wanted a truck that runs good and reliable for my needs like hauling stuffs around that won't fit in my other vehicles.

Then I found this TBI kits which is about 900

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728768

which fit in my price range but I am wondering what a working 305 with TBI and complete ECM from a junkyard would cost me and if it will easily drop into my truck or I have to do major modification to it.

One other thing I haven't research is that would my existing tranny work with a TBI or I would have to swap it out too.

I welcome any inputs, feedback or if you have experience with TBI conversion either DIY or kits please share it with me. If you have a project thread on it then please let me know where the thread is and I will read up on it.

Thank you
Bill
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
Nick_R_23

Re: Question about putting TBI in a 86 Chevy C10 305

Honestly, that is not a bad price for a new, complete, standalone, drop-in system, especially if all you are doing is looking for turn key and reliability. You might be able to find an 88-95 pickup that is wrecked, for cheap, but honestly the little bit of a price premium seems to be worth it in your case, for the new parts and the fact that the system will run standalone and not require any modifications to work like a junkyard swap would. I'd consider running it.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Katrina/10

If you could find an 87 intact TBI it would be easy to swap over. The later years will work, but the 92 had a different ECM and transmission. The problem with salvage yard stuff is that you don't know how it ran before it got there. I have had pretty good luck with junkyard EFI stuff, though.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
nonstop

Honestly, based on the photos I think you should be checking condition of the rest of the engine before moving ahead on the induction part. It might be easier to replace the quadrajet with a quality rebuilt non electronic one. A properly built quadrajet can be ALMOST as good as fuel injection.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
v30crewcab

the holley sniper setup is $999 at summitracing. not bad at all.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Grab a junkyard 87 TBI system and swap it in. Should be a couple hundred at most. All new for $1k is a great deal though....
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
donut

I'm with nonstop. Personally, after seeing that carb, I'm not holding out hope for the rest of the engine. I'd check the engine, then worry about induction.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
TechBill

I plan to check engine first before going any further. Just thinking about going with TBI even if I have to replace the engine because it will be easier for me to tune it up.

I was born Deaf and it always been difficult for me to tune a carb or adjust mixtures on it

Bill
Old 01-31-2017, 01:33 AM   #9
nonstop

I understand how that could be a little bit of a problem! I personally use a tach and vacuum gauge when tuning a carb to ensure I am getting a good tune. I think the next question then would be what is your intended use for the truck? Are you going to hot rod it or want a cruiser to just get in and take off. Do you want something that can be tuned or something that you can just bolt on and go with the understanding there still may be untapped power left on the table?
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:48 AM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

I have been looking up cheaper alternantives or unloved engines for future swaps.

The LFX V6 can be had cheap, and could be done for about $4000. Including the 6 speed auto. Toss in the 4.3 ecotec 3, and you could have a ton of power or economy cheap.

I found the 6.2 Ford Super Duty engines can be had stupid cheap, and are so close to the 4.6 that the msd stuff works on them. A cam swap, and there 500 hp, and the cheapest one i found was $1500.

There are cool alternatives that will get the job done, but do not have the right sound.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 AM   #11
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
I understand how that could be a little bit of a problem! I personally use a tach and vacuum gauge when tuning a carb to ensure I am getting a good tune. I think the next question then would be what is your intended use for the truck? Are you going to hot rod it or want a cruiser to just get in and take off. Do you want something that can be tuned or something that you can just bolt on and go with the understanding there still may be untapped power left on the table?
A cruiser and to tow or haul stuffs when needed. Basically it will just be a regular truck and I wanted to get the best mpg but easy to service when needed.

The cab will be stored back to factory look but upgraded with power windows and locks. I plan to add keyless since I am already spoiled with modern cars features.

I am hoping to clean up engine bay as well like getting rid of smog, air pump, canister etc by using TBI

As for hot rod, I am not plan on trying to squeeze as much HP I can from the 305 but I will upgrade some area like maybe throwing on headers and better exhaust and catylist converter to let it breath better. And depending on what TBI I go with, upgrade manifold to something little better than stock.

I don't want to spend a whole lot money on it for something that I wouldn't be using too often

Bill
Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #12
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
A cruiser and to tow or haul stuffs when needed. Basically it will just be a regular truck and I wanted to get the best mpg but easy to service when needed.

The cab will be stored back to factory look but upgraded with power windows and locks. I plan to add keyless since I am already spoiled with modern cars features.

I am hoping to clean up engine bay as well like getting rid of smog, air pump, canister etc by using TBI

As for hot rod, I am not plan on trying to squeeze as much HP I can from the 305 but I will upgrade some area like maybe throwing on headers and better exhaust and catylist converter to let it breath better. And depending on what TBI I go with, upgrade manifold to something little better than stock.

I don't want to spend a whole lot money on it for something that I wouldn't be using too often

Bill

I pulled a plug today with rust and water on it from #8. Guess I won't be just be able to clean it up and drive into the sunset from there.

Look like I will need to do a total rebuild or find another motor. I will have to pull intake and heads before I can decided on next step.

sigh ......

Bill
Old 02-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #13
abig84

Hit up craigslist. I been casually searching for a tbi truck for the past month for a donor for my 52 truck and these trucks are everywhere for under a grand, that way you get all the wiring and have everything there. I finally decided on a 91 with a 350tbi and 700r4 for $600. Just no title so just have to cut it up.
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
Hit up craigslist. I been casually searching for a tbi truck for the past month for a donor for my 52 truck and these trucks are everywhere for under a grand, that way you get all the wiring and have everything there. I finally decided on a 91 with a 350tbi and 700r4 for $600. Just no title so just have to cut it up.
This is true however my issue is that I live in a city with a two car garage and a neighborhood that does not allow junkers on the road

Almost all listings i found on craigslist around Springfield, Mo that the sellers want to get rid of whole truck or won't just sell it in pieces

Funny thing is when I do just find only a engine listed they are asking for more than a truck with engine in it

Bill
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
100%Chevy

Look for a 87 or newer Chevy/GMC van.
They are plentiful and very cheap!
I've an 87 Chevy van that I traded a worn out 86 ford truck for.
The van has the TBI,305,auto trans in it.And Roller lifters!
For 5 or 6 hundred,it will supply all you need except for gas tank and pump.
Mike./

Last edited by 100%Chevy; 02-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
Mike./
Thank for the tip!

I check Craigslist and none so far. But found an ad of someone looking for a 87 Chevy or GMC van with good motor in it Look like he was thinking same thing as you were thinking lol

Bill
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
redneckwheelman2

i had fiddled with the tbi swap when i had the 350 vortec and 4l80 swap in my 87 before i swapped to obd2 and an 8.1

one thing you will need to do though is track down a gauge cluster from a 87 to 91 square body because they have the vss built into the gauge cluster instead of buying a aftermarket one that mounts on your transmission.

its not a very easy swap since there is like 20 or so wires you have to figure out on the driverside firewall and a few under the dash to power the computer, fuel pump relay, ses light, obd1 port, fuse box etc.

for your truck you can find a harness computer etc. from a 87-91 squarebody or find one for a 88-94 chevy with either a manual trans or a th400 700r4 or th350.
if you get one from a truck that had a 4l60e or 4l80e you will have like 20 wires to eliminate and possibly some computer tuning to disable the transmisson stuff.

if you do want to do the swap you gotta either figure out if you have more time to do it the cheap way or more money to do it the quick way. hope that this helps, if you have more questions let me know

2002 chevy 2500hd extended long- blackbear tune. DD
redneckwheelman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
SCOTI

Unless you're getting an entire drivetrain out of a running vehicle, I would do an aftermarket TBI set-up like the Holly Sniper or FITech.

They offer simplified wiring vs an original factory TBI set-up, easier adaptability, & better tuning.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #19
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
Mike./
100%Chevy, wouldn't it need to be a '97 motor ('96+) to be a roller motor? Or did your '87 have provisions and you added the roller setup? Am I confused here?

I have a 1993 ECSB with the 350TBI and it has given my 230,000 miles with the biggest repair being the replacement of the distributor. TBICHIPS.com has a ton of info on these motors. I think the proprietor is named Brian. He can probably burn you a chip that sets you up to have one of those motors in an earlier truck. The TBI also responds to a number of good, low cost, DIY mods.

Technology rolls on, so the '96 and up motors are stronger, and of course the LS motors are stronger still. But I'll bet that the TBI motors on PickNPull half price day are really cheap. You may be able to revive your 305. Mixing oil with ATF 50/50 and squirting it into the spark plug holes and letting it set for a few days could help. Then turning the motor over by hand. If you do pull the heads, obviously you could just fill the bores from the top. If the 305 is too badly damaged and you do get a TBI, you may just want to get a 350. They are probably just as common and as cheap.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #20
MalibuSSwagon

My thoughts, If you find a TBI squarebody truck you can strip the harness and everything out to swap over to your truck. Should be mostly plug n play but expect to do some re-pinning. It's also easy enough to standalone a harness from a newer truck or van. I say find the truck or van setup because the computers don't have security on them if I recall, so you shouldn't have to do any re-programming. Also, your truck is an 86 so if it had the electronic carb or cruise it should already have the VSS installed. If not the speedo is setup to accept a VSS.

chevythunder.com

Also a pretty good thread on here about TBI swaps

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=352321
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
100%Chevy, wouldn't it need to be a '97 motor ('96+) to be a roller motor? Or did your '87 have provisions and you added the roller setup? Am I confused here?

I have a 1993 ECSB with the 350TBI and it has given my 230,000 miles with the biggest repair being the replacement of the distributor. TBICHIPS.com has a ton of info on these motors. I think the proprietor is named Brian. He can probably burn you a chip that sets you up to have one of those motors in an earlier truck. The TBI also responds to a number of good, low cost, DIY mods.

Technology rolls on, so the '96 and up motors are stronger, and of course the LS motors are stronger still. But I'll bet that the TBI motors on PickNPull half price day are really cheap. You may be able to revive your 305. Mixing oil with ATF 50/50 and squirting it into the spark plug holes and letting it set for a few days could help. Then turning the motor over by hand. If you do pull the heads, obviously you could just fill the bores from the top. If the 305 is too badly damaged and you do get a TBI, you may just want to get a 350. They are probably just as common and as cheap.
I think you are correct on the roller lifters! I've had the van for some time.Got it just for the drivetrain.I have done nothing to it and was told of the roller lifters.I haven't verified them myself.Sorry,I didn't mean to post mis-information!
Regardless,it's a good doner for a cheap engine swap.
It's odd that I can't sell this van for $400.00,but the engine/trans will sell for more seperately!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #22
MalibuSSwagon

TBI cars, like Camaros and early pre-93 Caprices, have roller cam TBI engines. Trucks did not until 96 but usually had provisions to install the factory roller cam setup.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:34 AM   #23
TechBill

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I have been hitting craigslist daily but I not found anything yet to make a decision on. I am still leaning toward putting in a 305 motor with TBI but it hard to find a donor with one locally.

I guess because I live in the Ozark mountain where there are many pickup trucks around here so part are harder to come by here than in other parts of the states.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:38 AM   #24
TechBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post

I had a mechanic tell me the other day to get a ATF oil and fill up all the cylinder with it then let it set for a week. He said if the rust is light and only surface, it will eat it away and the motor might be usable but he did said the intake will have to be dipped cleaned and I will need a replacement carb or go with a aftermarket TBI.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #25
abig84

I got lucky and knew someone who had a 91 silverado with a 350tbi for sale for 600. No title so had to cut it up that was the only downfall. Planning on putting that engine and the 700r4 in my 52. They are pretty simplistic, just need the cpu and all the wires hooked up (I'm using the column too) and should run.

But yea I surfed craigslist for like a month and couldn't find anything cheap. but yeah if possibe try to get the whole truck so you have everything you need
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote